PDA

View Full Version : men's pants: are pleats okay or passe for 47yo DH?

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2017, 09:13 PM
plain front https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22821?feat=double%20l%20chinos-SR0&page=wrinkle-free-double-l-chinos-classic-fit-plain-front&csp=a

or

pleated (he says more comfortable) https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22822?feat=double%20l%20chinos%20pleated-SR0&page=wrinkle-free-double-l-chinos-classic-fit-pleated&csp=a

What do you suggest?

niccig
03-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Plain

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

lil_acorn
03-03-2017, 09:14 PM
Definitely plain front. I don't like pleated at all for my DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview
03-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Plain no pleats

hwin708
03-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Flat. Pleats are definitely out and unflattering.

If he finds flat front too constraining, look into pants with some stretch. I even got my 70-something father into slim jeans by buying ones with stretch fabric. He has no idea what any of it means, or why one looks better than the other, but he regularly tells me how nice they feel.

mackmama
03-03-2017, 09:31 PM
No no no no pleats.

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Yikes. No pleats

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2017, 09:34 PM
OK, no pleats...but I think he's downstairs pouting that pleats feel better.

Can y'all show me some that come in size 35 x 32 that are comfortable in the crotch? pretty please?

mikala
03-03-2017, 09:52 PM
OK, no pleats...but I think he's downstairs pouting that pleats feel better.

Can y'all show me some that come in size 35 x 32 that are comfortable in the crotch? pretty please?
Your comfortable in the crotch comment made me think of the "ballroom" pants:
http://m.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/mens-casual-pants/53716.aspx

No experience with this specific style but DH likes a few items from the brand.

nfceagles
03-03-2017, 11:27 PM
I agree that flat look better and are way more current, but I can't get my 43yr old DH to wear flat no matter what. I've given up and concluded that he's earned the right to have a comfortable crotch. He kills it in the father, husband, and provider departments so I let him have the extra room for his balls.

twowhat?
03-03-2017, 11:30 PM
I agree that flat look better and are way more current, but I can't get my 43yr old DH to wear flat no matter what. I've given up and concluded that he's earned the right to have a comfortable crotch. He kills it in the father, husband, and provider departments so I let him have the extra room for his balls.

Just spit out my beef stew.

Try banana republic - they have flat front pants in different fits (slim, standard). My DH loves BR pants. But maybe he doesn't need the extra room for his balls, I dunno.

marymoo86
03-04-2017, 12:14 AM

Love this but I couldn't be seen out with a man or woman in pleats no matter how killer. You're a good egg.

AnnieW625
03-04-2017, 12:21 AM
DH has only ever worn flat khakis since early 2000s, if not earlier. DH is 42. My bil is 47 and I don't think he'd be caught dead in pleated khakis, but then he was a metrosexual about 10 yrs. before metrosexual was coined.

DH wears Dockers Easy Fit (used to be called D3) or Banana Republic khakis.

hwin708
03-04-2017, 12:28 AM
American Eagle, LL Bean and Brooks Brothers all sell chinos with stretch, for comfort. Will it be enough comfort for your DH's crotch? Only he can tell....

carolinacool
03-04-2017, 12:44 AM
I agree that flat look better and are way more current, but I can't get my 43yr old DH to wear flat no matter what.

My DH is 41, but yep! I gave up along time ago. But he only wears them to work at the newspaper, which are hardly known as houses of fashion.

essnce629
03-04-2017, 05:21 AM
NO PLEATS!!!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
03-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Haggar makes pants with flat fronts and roomy crotches! My DH wears the classic fit work to weekend chinos.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

liz
03-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Flat front, no pleats! DH hates shopping, but surprisingly I was able to get him to kohl's one afternoon to get new work pants. I agree with PP, get something with some stretch. DH tried on many pants and we were able to get a few different styles that he felt were comfortable.

WatchingThemGrow
03-04-2017, 09:50 AM
American Eagle, LL Bean and Brooks Brothers all sell chinos with stretch, for comfort. Will it be enough comfort for your DH's crotch? Only he can tell....

Interesting!! Thanks for telling me there were LLB stretch. I have asked about these, but he's downstairs cleaning up breakfast and vacuuming...don't want to interrupt that!!

I dread taking him shopping, but I think we do need to try out these stores so he can be comfy down there. I can't imagine how he got through 35 years of pants since finding some that fit has been so difficult for the past 12 years. Well, actually, Columbia Lander pants in 35 have been the mainstays but he's tired of them now.

All the replies are much appreciated!!

scrooks
03-04-2017, 10:28 AM
I totally agree that flat fronts are the style but like others my dh only wears pleats. He is a bigger guy and I do agree that if your are heavier that flat fronts look strange. You look jammed in there or something.

Adding a lot of you have mentioned slim cuts... for heavier guys slim cuts are a no go!

carolinacool
03-04-2017, 11:19 AM
I totally agree that flat fronts are the style but like others my dh only wears pleats. He is a bigger guy and I do agree that if your are heavier that flat fronts look strange. You look jammed in there or something.

Adding a lot of you have mentioned slim cuts... for heavier guys slim cuts are a no go!

Excellent point. My DH is a 40-42 waist and wears XXL shirts, so on the bigger side of average. "Slim cut." :ROTFLMAO:

legaleagle
03-04-2017, 11:25 AM
I've been get my husband the plain front comfort waist relaxed fit at Lands End. I'm 99% sure they come in 35" waist.

liz
03-04-2017, 11:49 AM
OK, I'm dying here. Sitting at my hair appointment reading GQ (issue with Tom Hiddleston on the cover) and look what I see.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/8bd031eef551a493d376cebd1ee3f6fb.jpg

nfceagles
03-04-2017, 12:10 PM
OK, I'm dying here. Sitting at my hair appointment reading GQ (issue with Tom Hiddleston on the cover) and look what I see.....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/8bd031eef551a493d376cebd1ee3f6fb.jpg

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] So my DH is ahead of trend, not behind! My DH is on the heavier side of normal too, so maybe that plays into it. He never wears khakis so his pleated pants all come in the form of his dressy suit slacks.

bisous
03-04-2017, 12:14 PM
I was actually wondering if pleated pants are so passe that they're about to come back, lol. Hipsters for pleats unite! :) Funny thread. DH doesn't wear pleats and he's actually much more fashionable than I am. But we'll see how he feels when the trend comes back in force. :)

mom2binsd
03-04-2017, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that trend is not coming back other than on the runway or the clubs, and the pleats in those pants are offset by the skinny leg, both of which look silly!

Have him try on some flat front ones, not slim fit, it makes the world of difference. You may need to try other brands than he's used to.

Pleats on any many's pants look dated sorry! Just like mom jeans look horrible on women!

AnnieW625
03-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Yes but don't you need to be about 25 like the model to pull this look off?

robinsmommy
03-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Somebody, maybe Lands' End made "long rise" pants in the past- no idea if they still do. Maybe that is a feature worth looking for? It would give more room for.....comfort. ;)

Looked, and it looks like LE and Eddie Bauer carry pants with this cut. Probably others as well.

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-comfort-waist-no-iron-twill-trousers/id_251714?sku_0=::KHA

WatchingThemGrow
03-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Awesome news on the long rise. Maybe he just wears them up high ;). He's thin and flat pretty much. Not heavy. Maybe his stuff is big, lol.

He did google and saw that GQ last night, claimed victory and then recanted, thinking he's not very GQ in general.

liz
03-04-2017, 06:35 PM
He did google and saw that GQ last night, claimed victory and then recanted, thinking he's not very GQ in general.

[emoji23] lol, sounds like my DH too

Pear
03-04-2017, 09:04 PM
DH will only wear pleated. I started to push for flat and realized that expectations of conforming to fashion standards are not just ridiculous for women. As long as his clothing is clean, in good repair, and respectfully dressy when the occasion requires, I keep my mouth shut.

KpbS
03-05-2017, 01:27 AM
I just looked at the LL Bean pleated chinos. They really, really aren't that bad. I would totally have no problem with DH wearing them. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48421?feat=502921-GN3&page=wrinkle-free-double-l-chinos-natural-fit-hidden-comfort-pleated&csp=f

The LL Bean Natural fit has relaxed fit in the hips and thighs. DH finds it really comfortable.

TwinFoxes
03-05-2017, 09:04 AM
I'm pretty sure that trend is not coming back other than on the runway or the clubs, and the pleats in those pants are offset by the skinny leg, both of which look silly!

Agreed! Reminds me of when people said flesh toned stockings would come back because the Duchess of Cambridge wears them. Still waiting for that trend to sweep the nation.

Clearly flat front is more current, and that's what my DH wears. But I think grown men should decide what they wear. The masses have spoken, he can do what he wants with the info.

trcy
03-05-2017, 09:12 AM
I am clueless when it comes to fashion for myself, so forget me knowing anything about men's fashion. So I asked DH (he is much more up on that stuff than I am),he said "No pleats, they are out".

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bigsis
03-07-2017, 02:16 AM
Pleats are totally old-fashioned now. Though nfceagles had me cracking up!!!

abh5e8
03-07-2017, 02:57 PM
I agree... He's a grown man and can wear what he wants... But please are way out. Dh has never had any, at least not since I met him 15 yrs ago.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

squimp
03-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Pleats on any many's pants look dated sorry! Just like mom jeans look horrible on women!

The mom jeans came back for teenagers a few years back. I saw many girls at school wearing super high waisted pants and shorts. Shudder.