PDA

View Full Version : Help settle a disagreement between me and DH - car tire pressure

TwoBees
03-04-2017, 01:42 PM
What is the correct tire pressure for car tires? The mac pressure listed on the tire or the pressure listed on the sticker at the base of the driver's seat? The manual says to consult the sticker. DH insists it's the pressure listed on the tire. There is a 20 psi difference. Here are photos of the sticker and the tire.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/80030dae87bae300bb414ab93171f794.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170304/bebf61ef689517a995afde2141ac2516.jpg

Thoughts?

Green_Tea
03-04-2017, 01:47 PM
I would think that the sticker in the car takes into account the weight of the vehicle so that the tire life is optimized. I would never exceed what I says on the tire itself, though, regardless of what the sticker says (which doesn't seem to be the case here anyway.) Can you call a dealership for the kind of car you have and ask?

BDKmom
03-04-2017, 02:08 PM
I think the tire just gives the maximum pressure it can handle, not what's optimal for your car. I would go with what is in the manual, which, in your case, is what is on the sticker.

Snow mom
03-04-2017, 02:44 PM
The tire is showing the maximum pressure, which would be the most it could sustain (and would be a hot pressure). Your tires should be inflated to the pressure listed on the sticker when measured "cold", e.g., not right after driving.

nfceagles
03-04-2017, 03:09 PM
The sticker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
03-04-2017, 03:17 PM
The sticker. Always go with the manufacturer of the car vs tires or other sources.

essnce629
03-04-2017, 03:21 PM
I've always gone with the sticker number.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

twowhat?
03-04-2017, 04:45 PM
The sticker!!! Please don't inflate the tires to 51 PSI!!!

pomegranate
03-04-2017, 08:03 PM
Go with the sticker. The tire says "max pressure," which is different than recommended pressure. My tires are around 32 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KrisM
03-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Sticker for sure. Inflating to 51psi would make for a very harsh ride in the car, too. And it will handle worse as the contact area between the tire and road will be too small.

JElaineB
03-05-2017, 01:48 AM
Wow, yes, go with what is in the sticker.

TwinFoxes
03-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Does your husband think all makes of car with those tires should be driving around with al four tires at 51 PSI? yikes!

trcy
03-05-2017, 08:11 AM
I would think that the sticker in the car takes into account the weight of the vehicle so that the tire life is optimized. I would never exceed what I says on the tire itself, though, regardless of what the sticker says (which doesn't seem to be the case here anyway.) Can you call a dealership for the kind of car you have and ask?

This was my exact thought when I read the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

twowhat?
03-05-2017, 12:28 PM
I think if you read the car manual it will tell you to go by the sticker. At every tire place we've ever taken our car to, they ALWAYS go by the sticker. Inflating to the max on the tires (51 PSI) will make for an UNSAFE DRIVE with negative impact on handling, etc - please don't do it!!!!

newnana
03-05-2017, 02:23 PM
I've been on the pit crew for a car racing team for the last 20 years and have raced myself if that helps lend any credibility. Go by the sticker. The number on the tire is the highest the tire is rated to, not what is right for your car.

Friction of the tires with the road when driving, G forces on the tire, road temps all increase the pressure as you drive. The sticker reflects the cold temperature inflation. Even with the race cars we inflate to the cold pressure that will get us to the hot pressure we are aiming for. We do the same for our cars at home, but it's easier at the track because we're taking tire pressures/temps constantly.

Behind the pace cars when lining up for the green flag you see cars swerving to "scrub" the tires for many reasons, including to get the tires to warm up to closer to race temps/pressure. Max pressure= dangerous pressure and will get to to a dangerous blow out once the other factors are at play.

If you inflate the tire to max pressure the tire can bear, you have no room for expansion when the road and tires get hot. Worst case scenario that leads to a blow out on the highway. Best case scenario, driving on over-inflated tires leads to uneven wear with thinning the middles of the tires, eventually causing a blowout or faster need for tire replacement.

HTH!

Percycat
03-06-2017, 01:46 PM
I've been on the pit crew for a car racing team for the last 20 years and have raced myself if that helps lend any credibility. Go by the sticker. The number on the tire is the highest the tire is rated to, not what is right for your car.... Max pressure= dangerous pressure and will get to to a dangerous blow out once the other factors are at play.

Thanks Newnana! I'm always amazed at the wealth of experiences contributing to this board. : )