PDA

View Full Version : Electric hot plate recommendations

niccig
03-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Anyone have an electric hot plate that's decent to cook on. I need to get one to use during the remodel. I don't think I can get induction as not sure my saucepans will work on it.
Thanks.

mikala
03-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Do you have an Instant Pot? If not I'd get one instead of a hot plate. You can saute and boil water in it or use the slow cooker and pressure cooker functions.

niccig
03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Do you have an Instant Pot? If not I'd get one instead of a hot plate. You can saute and boil water in it or use the slow cooker and pressure cooker functions.

Yes, DH bought one, but I haven't opened the box yet. Any suggestions for how I can learn how to use it quickly?

legaleagle
03-04-2017, 11:30 PM
Just open it up and start with the water test. If you're on FB there are tons of very active groups, including an "official" IP group

legaleagle
03-04-2017, 11:31 PM
That said, I would still get a hot plate. See if a magnet will stick to your pans if you're not sure about induction

WatchingThemGrow
03-05-2017, 08:17 AM
after the water test, put the trivet or metal steamer basket (ikea has one) in and a cup of water. Stick a bunch of eggs in - single layer- and set it to manual 6 min. let it pressure release for 6 min, then put them in ice and peel. so handy.

As soon as that's done, put in some potatoes, white or sweet, or some corn on the cob (husks and all- just the end chopped off) for 4 -6 min. done.

Toss in some dry beans, fill up with water, and push beans. Or, add equal parts water and rinsed rice. push rice button.

Can't wait to see your reno pics!!! Did you take some "before" pics?

JBaxter
03-05-2017, 09:25 AM
During our remodel I used the burner on our gas grill to cook I also bought a cast iron grill plate ( you can also use skillets) I love my instant pot Bob Warden has 2 good cookbooks I also have an air fryer that I uses a couple times a week.

mikala
03-05-2017, 01:32 PM
I started to type up instant pot instructions and then thought to Google it. I don't know anything about this blogger but it matches what I would say and has pictures.

https://www.paintthekitchenred.com/instant-pot-how-to-quick-start-guide/

Once you do the water test I would make hard boiled eggs or beans, then move on to trying a meat or soup where you saute or brown ingredients first. I'd also try something like pasta using just the saute function like a regular pan. By the time you've tried that you should be ready to try pretty much any other recipe or adapt existing ones.

This chart is really helpful.
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooking-times/

Keep in mind that it can take 20 minutes to get up to pressure and another 10-15 afterwards to release pressure depending on the recipe so food will take longer than the x minutes pressure cooking time, but all the pressure cooking time is hands off so you don't have to regularly stir or babysit the burner temp like you do with stovetop cooking.

essnce629
03-05-2017, 03:26 PM
Join the "Instant Pot Community" group on Facebook. There's over 400,000 members with lots of tips, recipes, and pictures posted daily. Use the search box to look up anything specific.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk