PDA

View Full Version : Painful Crack/Sore in Corner of Mouth

pinkmomagain
03-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Looking for BB mama wisdom: In the past few months I've developed a crack in the corners of my mouth (on and off). Nothing too terrible, usually resolves in a day or two. But this time around it's hurting pretty badly. It's been there maybe 4-5 days. I've been putting Aquafor on it but it doesn't seem to help it with healing or with pain. Any BTDT? Looking for a home remedy or over the counter remedy to work or I'll head to a dr in the next couple of days if I can't improve it on my own. TIA

candaceb
03-05-2017, 10:34 AM
My miracle cure for everything lately is lanolin (the kind you get for breastfeeding). I had a sore in my nose that wouldn't heal last winter, and after googling and seeing many recommendations for lanolin, I gave it a try and the thing that had bothered me for weeks was gone in 2 days. I am currently using it on a burn on my hand.

legaleagle
03-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Those kinds of cracks are often yeast infections - try Monistat/lotrimin

Charlie
03-05-2017, 11:36 AM
I had that last winter and it got really bad - to the point I could barely open my mouth and it became oozy/crusty. I looked it up and there is some name for it (I forget). But yes, it can be a yeast infection. Some may be bacterial and need antibiotics but I tried over the counter stuff first after doing some internet research. What worked - rubbing alcohol followed by lotrimin followed by coconut oil. Also, throw out any stick lip balms/chapsticks, as I ended up reinfecting myself and that was no fun.

pinkmomagain
03-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the tips. I put a little antibiotic cream on it this morning (I feel like I may have a swollen gland in my jaw area trying to fight this thing) but will also run out and get the lotrimin. I have never had a yeast infection in all my life anywhere on my body, but I'm open to the possibility. Thanks also for the tip about throwing away lip balms. I'm thinking probably lipsticks too (wah!).

Corie
03-05-2017, 11:58 AM
I was going to suggest Cerave healing ointment.

aa2mama
03-05-2017, 01:09 PM
The cracks in the corner of your mouth are known as angular cheilitis or perleche. While it can often be caused by a fungal infection, it can also be a reaction to your toothpaste. Try switching to a toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) such as Sensodyne Pronamel or Jason Powersmile. I also avoid SLS in my face wash, even Cetaphil has it! If your cracks are a SLS reaction, putting Polysporin (not Neosporin -- some people react to the ingredients in it) in the corners of your mouth can help speed the healing process.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Indianamom2
03-05-2017, 02:28 PM
It is also a symptom of vitamin deficiency (B, I believe.) Might be worth checking.

essnce629
03-05-2017, 03:20 PM
It is also a symptom of vitamin deficiency (B, I believe.) Might be worth checking.
Yes to this! It is also a very common sign of celiac disease (probably because most celiacs are vitamin deficit before being diagnosed because their bodies can't absorb nutrients properly). DS1 had them for a long time before we switched to being gluten-free. He has never had them again since (and he has not taken any B vitamins either).

Google "angular cheilitis and celiac disease."

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

pinkmomagain
03-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Yes to this! It is also a very common sign of celiac disease (probably because most celiacs are vitamin deficit before being diagnosed because their bodies can't absorb nutrients properly). DS1 had them for a long time before we switched to being gluten-free. He has never had them again since (and he has not taken any B vitamins either).

Google "angular cheilitis and celiac disease."

I was tested many years ago and know I'm not Celiac. I have been gluten free for several years though due to suspected gluten intolerance. I was away last week and had some gluten and was wondering if it could've triggered this sore.

jse107
03-06-2017, 02:13 PM
My miracle cure for everything lately is lanolin (the kind you get for breastfeeding). I had a sore in my nose that wouldn't heal last winter, and after googling and seeing many recommendations for lanolin, I gave it a try and the thing that had bothered me for weeks was gone in 2 days. I am currently using it on a burn on my hand.
YES!#lanisohforthewin