PDA

View Full Version : Healing my forever cold? A little TMI!

bisous
03-05-2017, 09:51 PM
I have a VERY mild cold right now. It doesn't really get in the way of my life much. I can work and sleep and function. I just have (and this is the TMI part) snot in my throat that grosses me out and causes a mild cough. I HATE IT. I know this is kind of a first world problem but this happened to me last year around the same time. I suppose it could be allergies or it could just be a COLD. I need to know how to handle it and make it go away.

For background, I tend to have problems with decongestants. They work for me and then they stop working. I overused Afrin in High School and now I can't use it at all or I get major rebound syndrome. I think the same thing is happening with Sudafed (the good kind) now. Last major cold I got no relief that way.

I'm hesitant, for that reason to try ANY drugs. I'm wondering if there are any things I can do to heal this forever cold faster. I'd like to be able to sing to my kids and read stories to them without gagging on snot (sorry!) and rustling up a dry cough at the absolute worst time. It has been four weeks.

Any dietary suggestions? Or regular practices? (I've been thinking about gargling with salt?)

TIA!

twowhat?
03-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Neti pot. Life changing for me! Haven't been to the doctor for a cold settling into my sinuses or lungs since I started using it!

bisous
03-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Neti pot. Life changing for me! Haven't been to the doctor for a cold settling into my sinuses or lungs since I started using it!

OK I'll try it again. I meant to mention that I tried it during my last cold. It felt GREAT for about an hour, then everything came back with a vengeance! But this cold is much milder. And if it keeps the colds away then WORTH IT!

lalasmama
03-06-2017, 12:06 AM
Sinus rinses twice a day. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Don't snuffle. Try Benadryl at night for the cough/threat tickle. And hydrate. Then hydrate some more. Half your body weigh should be the water you need to drink, so if you are 130 lbs, drink 65oz of water. If you are 170, get friendly with 85oz. The water thins the secretions so its less annoying.

If it's been more than 2 weeks, it's time to chat with your doctor.

KpbS
03-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Take a zinc supplement (with food) and a multivitamin everyday for 5 days straight. Try to get an extra 20-30 minutes of sleep. That should knock it out. Feel better!

twowhat?
03-06-2017, 10:34 AM
OK I'll try it again. I meant to mention that I tried it during my last cold. It felt GREAT for about an hour, then everything came back with a vengeance! But this cold is much milder. And if it keeps the colds away then WORTH IT!

Yeah, when I have a cold I will use it twice a day to clear out the accumulating snot. It definitely isn't a "one and done" operation - your body continues to produce the snot but what the neti pot does is help clear it out so it doesn't sit so long and potentially turn into a secondary infection.

mackmama
03-06-2017, 11:22 AM
I would try an allergy pill like Zyrtec to dry stuff up. No decongestant

Mikey0709
03-06-2017, 12:22 PM
YES THAT! ABOVE! This year I have been doing 1 zyrtec a day, and i'm AMAZED the difference this winter. I mean it's been a LIFE changer for the amount of times I have been having cold-like symptoms.

lizzywednesday
03-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Identify potential allergens - my major triggers are pollen and mold, with a side of artificial fragrances. We have a serious mold issue in our master bathroom that I keep meaning to take care of, but bleach and I don't get along. (Bleach triggers my asthma.)

I second or third the advice for daily sinus rinses, whether neti pot or spray-can saline (Simply Saline is the brand name, but Target has its own version).

I also third (fourth?) the suggestion of a regular antihistamine. I hate Benadryl (dyphenhydramine) myself, but do quite well with Zyrtec (well, I take the generic; Target's is competitively priced and during the meat of allergy season, there are often Cartwheel coupons for extra savings.) You might want to begin with something like Claritin (loratidine) and see if you get any relief. Also, I really recommend taking a 24-hour dose AT BEDTIME in the event you experience any drowsiness or other focus-related side-effects. A good night's sleep is usually enough for me to sleep off the worst of the side effects, though of course YMMV.

Last, YES! Hydrate. Buy yourself some (yes, get more than one!) nice refillable water bottles. Stash one on your nightstand, another wherever you spend the most time, and have another filled and ready-to-go once you've finished the first one. Keep it physically on your person if you have to! Staying hydrated makes such a difference, especially with the symptoms you're describing, and it will also help counteract any side-effects of an antihistamine should you choose to start one.

Good luck & feel better!

bisous
03-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Oh, drinking water. I've been so bad at that. I need to work on that for sure.

I will try the neti pot, getting a little extra sleep, and lots and lots of water.

I'm hesitant to take an allergy med without knowing that I have allergies. Or are they pretty mild? I'd also hate to create any kind of rebound symptom again!

lizzywednesday
03-06-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm hesitant to take an allergy med without knowing that I have allergies. Or are they pretty mild? I'd also hate to create any kind of rebound symptom again!

If you find you respond to Benadryl, don't bother with the higher-level ones like Claritin, Allegra, and Zyrtec. Stepping up your hydration and getting enough sleep might be enough to help you feel better. If not, add an antihistamine. I've been on and off antihistamines practically my entire life; I don't experience rebound issues, though I don't respond to Claritin (loratidine) anymore - but not a lot of folks with serious allergies do.

I've forgotten where you live, but if stuff's blooming, you're almost certainly being exposed to allergens. With the way a lot of local weather has been lately, the potential allergen-load in your air could be higher than normal. Even if you've never had allergy symptoms, you might be experiencing some because of it.

squimp
03-06-2017, 03:18 PM
I never take cold meds, I don't really find that they work. At the first sign of a cold, I start Zinc lozenges and lots of fluids. I also take a multi-vitamin every day, and a huge dose of Vitamin D monitored by my oncologist, she told me it is really important for my immune system. I haven't been sick all year, my kid and DH have both been sick but not me.