PDA

View Full Version : Anyone's child have to get a tooth extracted?

basil
03-06-2017, 01:56 PM
DH took DS to the dentist this morning. DS has had 4 cavities and is 5 years old, despite us brushing his teeth religiously 2x/day, never drinking juice, and prescription fluoride toothpaste.

Today the dentist said that one of the teeth is infected at the root and needs to come out. DS will need a spacer until his 12 year molar comes in. Dentist thinks they can do it all with local anesthesia, since he's tolerated the cavities with local before.

Any experience? Seems so long to go (7+ years) with a spacer!

lalasmama
03-06-2017, 02:01 PM
DD had 4 taken out around 5-6 years old. They were just so tightly spaced there was nothing else we could do. However, they never mentioned spacers. Perhaps because we had no doubt about the need for braces in her teen years?

JBaxter
03-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Is it too bad to have a baby rootcanal and a stainless steel crown? I'd go that route before extraction if possible. Some kids will do local OK but I'd make sure you had some nitrous also. Jack would have never tolerated it at that age. He had a front tooth extracted after smacking it about 4 different times and it abscessed he was given some oral medication then gas then lidocaine

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2017, 02:15 PM
We tried the root canal first for ds1 when he was 5 and had to have it pulled. :(.
ETA- he did fine and didn't need a spacer. No general anesthesia, just numbed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basil
03-06-2017, 02:15 PM
The dentist said it was too deep for a root canal.

So sad for my baby.

bw52
03-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Mine had to have a tooth pulled. She has a spacer. She will probably get her permanent tooth around 9 years old. She just had local anesthesia. She was sore the same day but back to normal by the next day.

georgiegirl
03-06-2017, 02:32 PM
DD has a tooth pulled and needed a spacer. One of her molars was abscessed. However, she was older (like maybe 8-9). She just has nitrous and did fine. Ds2 needed a crown at 18 mo. He was strapped down in a papoose, which was traumatic for both of us. But it was only 10 min and I didn't want him under general anesthesia (he had already had 2 surgeries by then.)

khalloc
03-06-2017, 02:33 PM
DD has 7 baby teeth extractions but it was due to space issues. She needs 4 adult teeth extracted next. She was fine with the local anesthesia. No problems, but she was 8 at the time.

elephantmeg
03-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Ds (my anxious child) has had 2 teeth removed. One was an extra tooth that was blocking a permanent tooth at age 6 or so. It was done at an oral surgeon with gas and novacaine. And a big bribe. The second was 2 incisors that were pulled to make room for other teeth to come in straight. It was done at the dentist with gas and novacaine and a smaller bribe. Lol