PDA

View Full Version : Any contact users have help for dry eyes

ray7694
03-07-2017, 12:37 AM
I have worn contacts for years and the past few months I can rarely wear my contacts as my eyes are so dry. I really wasn't prepared for old age to set in this quickly. Please tell me I have other options

mom2binsd
03-07-2017, 01:25 AM
I'm almost 50 and haven't found my eyes drier as I've aged. Have you started taking any new medications, especially something like allergy meds? I use the Clear Care system and it's so much better than the regular saline solution.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

PZMommy
03-07-2017, 01:37 AM
I've always had issues with dry eyes. My dr changed my contact brand and that helped. I also use visine for contacts as needed (like a few times a week).

boilermakermom
03-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Do you use any re-wetting drops throughout the day? Refresh makes a good one for contact lens wear. Also, what kind of eye cream do you use, and how long do you wait before putting in your lenses after applying cream? Some eye cream/face lotion can dry out your eyes.

Talk to your Dr. you may need to change brand of contact lenses. Also, up your water intake. :)

petesgirl
03-07-2017, 11:17 AM
I was just at the eye Dr yesterday and he gave me a trial pair of Bausch and Lomb's newest lense-the Vita--he said it helps a lot of the end-of-the-day dryness that comes with contact lenses. May be something you could try out.

Mikey0709
03-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Same problem here. I've been using the same contacts for 20+ years. Tried 3 new brands - most were worse. Normally by 7-8pm I have to use the REFRESH drop for contacts.

lizzywednesday
03-07-2017, 01:23 PM
I had to change my solution as well as insisting on brand of lenses.

I wear Acuvue Oasys disposables and use OptiFree PureMoist solution/rewetting drops.

I also find that increasing my water intake helps, especially if I'm taking allergy meds!

pinkmomagain
03-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Same problem here -- contact lens wearer and old. I just use drops and haven't found any other solutions.

pinay
03-07-2017, 06:05 PM
I was having a lot of trouble with my contacts and dryness, my eye doc switched the brand of lenses and that seemed to have solved the problem. I had also been using the Kirkland brand solution, he told me that I should stick to the OptiFree Pure Moist solution and that has worked well too. He did also tell me to press on the inside corners of my eyes several in the morning and night to try to stimulate the tear ducts- I don't do this as much as I probably should, but it was helping when I was more consistent about it.

3isEnough
03-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Yes to the above solutions, plus Restasis (prescription eye drops for dryness). The Restasis helps me a ton - I use them in the morning and night before putting in my contacts and after removing them.

maestramommy
03-07-2017, 11:35 PM
I'm told this is a function of aging. I use Refresh. At night I use the gel, AFTER I take out my contacts. During the day I use the contacts drops as needed.

Dh had this issues, and changing the lenses as well as using drops didn't help. His eyes just felt chafed all the time. he finally had to give up contacts about a year or two ago.

babyonway
03-08-2017, 11:20 AM
I have extremely dry eyes and my dr. gave me Dailies Total 1 contacts and they have been the best for me. I also use re-wetting drops and Restasis.

stinkyfeet
03-08-2017, 02:05 PM
I've been having the same problem over the past few years and found that it got worse with time. I thought it was allergies, but after a recent allergy test, it turns out that I'm not allergic to much and the dr said I probably have dry eyes.

I switched to daily contacts and that has helped.

Honestly, I sort of gave up and wear glasses most of the time. [emoji851] I feel like a big dork, but at least my eyes/contacts don't bother me much anymore.

I would probably change saline solution and add resetting drops; then change contacts (single use ones) if that doesn't work; then maybe try prescription drops if that's still not enough. If all else fails, there is always glasses! [emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet_pea
03-08-2017, 10:15 PM
I had really dry eyes a few years ago, and my eye doctor suggested using eye drops and taking a DHA supplement. The eye drops only helped a little, but the supplement seemed to resolve my issue. So perhaps this is something that you could ask your eye doctor about.

newnana
03-08-2017, 11:54 PM
I had been having this problem, switched types of contacts oodles of times, tried drops, wearing my contacts less hours per day etc. when I ran out of my optifree replenish. DH had bought the Kirkland (Costco) store brand saline on his previous trip and I used it. Holy amazing. It was like I had brand new eyes, even with the same contacts. I could not believe it and would definitely recommend a try. it does say something about all day moisturizing or something on the label. It's worth a try

WitMom
03-09-2017, 10:52 AM
My optometrist told me I had dry eyes- to be honest, I hadn't even noticed lol. She suggested that if they start to bother me, I take fish oil/omega 3 orally or use warm compresses on my eyes.

teresah00
03-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Been a while since I've worn contacts, BBC I finally just gave up and switched to wearing glasses. They plugged my tear duct to see if that helped (not really), doxycycline, restasis. Warm compresses and lid scrubs when I do them daily. Then I would press along my lash line and try to press gently. Eye gel overnight w these on top https://www.dryeyeshop.com/tranquileyes-p129.aspx I was able to wear contacts and used some contact rewetting drops. Just became easier for me as I had kids to not do all the work. Eyes are still dry