PDA

View Full Version : Technician couldn't get a scan of DS' eye?

bisous
03-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Has anyone had a retinal scan? The technician we saw apparently couldn't get a good scan of DS' eyes. This seemed odd to me. DS1 is not a toddler, he's 13! She tried multiple times but couldn't seem to see all the way back. She wanted me to hold his eyes open and I even tried that but apparently it wasn't enough. Is this typical?

squimp
03-07-2017, 03:58 PM
That does seem odd. DD has been seeing the eye docs since she was 3 and we have never had that happen. She and I both have had retinal scans, I don't recall them being problematic, I don't even think I was in the room when DD had her last one at age 10 or so when we used to go to the ped ophth.

bisous
03-07-2017, 04:02 PM
I wonder if I could be using the wrong term. So DS1 has both really strong prescription eyeglasses and type 1 diabetes. He regularly gets eye exams and doesn't appear to have too many problems with those. He always ends up with a prescription and a clean bill of health! This was done at the request of the endo but I thought she called it a retinal scan. Maybe it is more complicated? It was a weird interaction. The technician admitted she hadn't been doing this very long and that she used to be a "just a nurse" (her words). She tried for over 45 minutes. The conversation and interaction didn't leave me feeling very confident.

Kindra178
03-07-2017, 04:04 PM
In my experience, they are really inaccurate for determining a prescription.

bisous
03-07-2017, 04:39 PM
In my experience, they are really inaccurate for determining a prescription.

This one was for health though. I'm not sure anyone will know this but I thought I'd try. I might have to follow up with the endo's office (probably should anyway!).

The endo apparently wanted to check the back of his eye for any signs of diabetic retinopathy. I honestly was surprised by the endo's suggestion because it was my understanding that eyes didn't need to be checked until much later but figured we might as well check it out. The technician couldn't scan his eyes, though DS has previously had successful eye exams with the optical department.

Does that make sense?

squimp
03-07-2017, 04:40 PM
The retinal scan should not be for a prescription, it is to see if there is something wrong with the retina (damage, defects). For DD and for me, they would do it dilated, was he dilated? Maybe it's harder if not dilated. Can you call back and ask the ophthalmologist or optometrist to answer your question?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/eye-exam/faq-20058064

bisous
03-07-2017, 04:41 PM
The retinal scan should not be for a prescription, it is to see if there is something wrong with the retina (damage, defects). For DD and for me, they would do it dilated, was he dilated? Maybe it's harder if not dilated. Can you call back and ask the ophthalmologist or optometrist to answer your question?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/eye-exam/faq-20058064

He was dilated. I'll call the endo.

Thank you for helping me figure out what I need to do. :)

NCGrandma
03-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Sounds like the technician wasn't well trained and/or wasn't confident. If I were you, I'd check first with the ophthalmologist office to see if someone else can do it. My impression is that it isn't super hard to do. (In my primary care department's clinic, nursing staff were taught to take regular retinal photos of diabetic patients -- these were then sent to ophthalmology to be read. Staff members volunteered to be the patient during training, and one CNA told another that she was getting a "rectal photo" taken ... the physician who overheard this clarified what was going to happen [emoji3])

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

squimp
03-07-2017, 05:02 PM
What's an endo? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I'm not that kind of doctor, LOL. There are a couple of eye docs on here maybe the evening crowd will be more helpful. Good luck.

I do have sympathy though. Once I had six residents around me trying to get a blood sample at the ophthalmology for a genetic test, and it was kind of hilarious, they literally tried for 20 minutes and gave up. I have the easiest veins ever but they just were not used to taking blood samples - it was late in the day and all the techs had gone home. It was kind of funny, albeit a little pokey. Sometimes people just don't do a good job with things outside their routine.

bisous
03-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Sounds like the technician wasn't well trained and/or wasn't confident. If I were you, I'd check first with the ophthalmologist office to see if someone else can do it. My impression is that it isn't super hard to do. (In my primary care department's clinic, nursing staff were taught to take regular retinal photos of diabetic patients -- these were then sent to ophthalmology to be read. Staff members volunteered to be the patient during training, and one CNA told another that she was getting a "rectal photo" taken ... the physician who overheard this clarified what was going to happen [emoji3])

Oh my! At least DS didn't need a "rectal photo", lol.

bisous
03-07-2017, 05:23 PM
What's an endo? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I'm not that kind of doctor, LOL. There are a couple of eye docs on here maybe the evening crowd will be more helpful. Good luck.

I do have sympathy though. Once I had six residents around me trying to get a blood sample at the ophthalmology for a genetic test, and it was kind of hilarious, they literally tried for 20 minutes and gave up. I have the easiest veins ever but they just were not used to taking blood samples - it was late in the day and all the techs had gone home. It was kind of funny, albeit a little pokey. Sometimes people just don't do a good job with things outside their routine.

Sorry! Endocrinologist! I forget some people don't see them every few months. :)

And OMG! I can't believe it took that much to get blood. I have terrible, terrible veins and I have total sympathy for you. I now know which clinics to go to and which technicians to get! No excuse if you have easy veins.

Pear
03-07-2017, 05:28 PM
My doctor always has trouble scanning my eyes. It is because I have very little pigment. My eyes are an extremely light blue and the scanner just isn't designed to deal with that.

MommyAllison
03-07-2017, 05:29 PM
We've all had retinal scans (except DD2) but I'm not sure ours are the same based on what you are describing. Ours do not require any dilation, you do one eye at a time and have to put your eye up to the machine, pushing just hard enough to see a green target (too hard or not hard enough and you get a red target). As soon as the green target appears, they do the scan (super fast bright light), then switch to the other eye and repeat. I've had a hard time getting exactly the right pressure and placement to get a green target, especially the first time I had it done, but they were able to eventually get both. Then they pull the images up on their computer screens and show you a picture of your eye. It is for eye health and replaces the old dilate and look type of exam. I love it! My eyes take forever to go back to normal after dilation and it's so much easier to do the retinal scan - plus I like that you have the images to look back and compare in the future.

Anyway, I'm not sure how similar that is to what your technician was trying to do, but maybe you can look for an office that has the equipment to do it the way I've described?

MMMommy
03-07-2017, 05:56 PM
DD2's optometrist offers either (1) dilation (included with the cost of the full eye exam) or (2) the retinal photos, which are not included and cost extra, but would be in lieu of the dilation. DD2 sees that particular optometrist because she specializes in CRT lenses (Ortho K contact lenses). DD1, myself and DH go to an ophthalmologist. He doesn't offer retinal photos and says that they are not as comprehensive as doing a full dilation. He said that if something concerning was detected from retinal photos, they would have to still do a full dilation anyways. That is what he told me, but I don't really know. Not sure when images are needed versus just regular dilation.

It does sound like this was probably the tech's error. A more experienced one would prob have gotten good images.

m4nash
03-07-2017, 07:57 PM
My husband is a type I diabetic and at his eye exams they do all kinds of tests I've never had done. Perhaps this was a special scan for diabetics? I know there is one that he has done that they sometimes can't get to work right as he can't move his eyes or blink during the test and they do it one eye at a time. He has better than 20/20 vision and no other vision issues, so generally if they can't get something to work right away, they just tell him they'll try again next year.

MelissaTC
03-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Is it that machine they use on the kids, where they look in at some moving light that looks like flowers? They tried to do a vision scan of little M and they couldn't get it. They said her eyes are very dark and sometimes between the shape (she is Chinese) and color, it doesn't work accurately.

bisous
03-07-2017, 08:19 PM
My husband is a type I diabetic and at his eye exams they do all kinds of tests I've never had done. Perhaps this was a special scan for diabetics? I know there is one that he has done that they sometimes can't get to work right as he can't move his eyes or blink during the test and they do it one eye at a time. He has better than 20/20 vision and no other vision issues, so generally if they can't get something to work right away, they just tell him they'll try again next year.

Ok that sounds like what was going on. He kept blinking and moving! I guess they'll try again later. I haven't heard back from the endocrinologist yet.

trales
03-07-2017, 08:28 PM
I have a number of genetic eye conditions and have had every single scan/ imaging done that exists. Sounds like the technician was the problem, not your DS. I would call the eye doc and ask for a new technician or for a referral to a specialized place - (for instance - I go to Mass Eye and Ear once a year- our local town 90 minutes away does not have all the newest equipment).

I am the worst blinker ever, when they have had to put a bandage contact on me in the past, I have so sit on my hands and ask for another person to come in and hold my eye lid and I have NEVER had an issue with a scan.

NCGrandma
03-07-2017, 08:37 PM
I have a number of genetic eye conditions and have had every single scan/ imaging done that exists. Sounds like the technician was the problem, not your DS. I would call the eye doc and ask for a new technician or for a referral to a specialized place - (for instance - I go to Mass Eye and Ear once a year- our local town 90 minutes away does not have all the newest equipment).

I am the worst blinker ever, when they have had to put a bandage contact on me in the past, I have so sit on my hands and ask for another person to come in and hold my eye lid and I have NEVER had an issue with a scan.

Definitely agree! A good technician makes all the difference! I also have several eye conditions and I present a challenge to the techs. Someone has to hold my eyelid up (but without pressing on the eye) to get an accurate pressure reading. Fortunately the eye center at our local academic medical center has excellent staff and the latest equipment. The equipment often makes the tests quicker as well as more accurate.