PDA

View Full Version : Please help with hors d'oeuvres

Pilotbaby
03-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Hello,
I am hosting a small event at our house and I am struggling with the menu. Am planning on wine and hors d'oeuvres and trying to keep it simple. So far, other than wine, bottled water, soft drinks, cheese, cracker and grape plate, a few dips and a buffalo mozzarella/ grape tomato skewer, I am at a loss. Only one of these is homemade. Any simple recipes that are really tasty that you like to use? TIA

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Meatballs with something like an apricot (or grape) jelly and BBQ sauce sauce in a crockpot always seem to go over well.
Last party I was at, 2 people brought homemade soft pretzel bites with homemade beer/ cheese sauce. Delicious! Aside from my bruschetta (made from a baguette from an amazing local bakery), they went the fastest. My mozzarella/ tomato/ basil bites with balsamic dressing were next most popular.
Pinterest has about 50000 appetizer ideas- worth looking there.

bigsis
03-08-2017, 12:17 AM
I was going to suggest meatballs too. I've put frozen meatballs in the crockpot with a jar of marinara sauce on "warm" and it's good in 3-4 hours. Or on low setting if you're going to serve in less time.

barkley1
03-08-2017, 09:16 AM
This is the best app...so simple but gets eaten up first every time! Take a sheet of crescent rolls and lay flat. Put a block of cream cheese on top and sprinkle heavily with dried dill. Fold the crescent roll sheet over, tuck under so the cream cheese is all enclosed, and brush the top with egg white. Sprinkle lightly with more dill. Bake until the cream cheese is melted and crust is nice and golden. I like to serve with wheat thins. Try not to burn your mouth scarfing it down! Sounds too simple to be that good but trust me!!

carolinamama
03-08-2017, 11:43 AM
I do baked brie all the time. SOOO simple and always gets eaten. I use a wheel of brie, shave off the top rind, top with apricot jelly (or whatever I have in the house) and top with dried cranberries or raspberry halves, nuts, or again, whatever I have in the house. Bake until melted (maybe 12 minutes but I'm honestly not sure). I serve with assorted crackers. Triscuit thins are good with it. It is best to bake on whatever dish you are serving on if it is oven friendly.

eta: I always like fresh veggies and dip or hummus too

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2017, 11:52 AM
I do baked brie all the time. SOOO simple and always gets eaten. I use a wheel of brie, shave off the top rind, top with apricot jelly (or whatever I have in the house) and top with dried cranberries or raspberry halves, nuts, or again, whatever I have in the house. Bake until melted (maybe 12 minutes but I'm honestly not sure). I serve with assorted crackers. Triscuit thins are good with it. It is best to bake on whatever dish you are serving on if it is oven friendly.

I love baked brie! I'm always sad that Trader Joe's only sells brie wedged. Last time we tried to bake that, it was a (delicious!) mess. Dh laughed at me when I suggested serving with crackers as he said the puff pastry was already there. :) Are you baking it without puff pastry? If so, that's a neat idea.

trcy
03-08-2017, 11:53 AM

You could also do something similar with brie in phyllo cups.
Mini spanakopita
Cream cheese covered in pepper jelly served with crackers

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
I love baked brie! I'm always sad that Trader Joe's only sells brie wedged. Last time we tried to bake that, it was a (delicious!) mess. Dh laughed at me when I suggested serving with crackers as he said the puff pastry was already there. :) Are you baking it without puff pastry? If so, that's a neat idea.

Yes, without the puff pastry. I will use puff pastry sometimes but I'm usually going for quick and easy. Plus I find we were cut through the pastry to get the good stuff and leave it behind. Last year I broke down and bought a round dish to bake it in but previously used a shiny metal baking platter covered in aluminum foil (who likes scrubbing baked brie off a dish :)) that was big enough for the crackers to go around. The key is to bake long enough but not too long that the brie is flowing, I guess.

I hear you on TJs only having the wedges. I've used them for home consumption but it's messy!

Now I'm craving baked brie!

Percycat
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Shrimp with cocktail sauce

LBW
03-08-2017, 12:54 PM
bacon-wrapped dates
Easy and so yummy.

legaleagle
03-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Costco sells smallish rounds of brie, and they're pretty cheap.

Pilotbaby
03-08-2017, 02:45 PM
I just looked up a recipe for this and it says to bed with rind on. The particular recipe I looked at the brie is backed in a pastry puff. Does this mean you eat the rind? I usually peel it off or cut around it. Is it supposed to be eaten? lol

carolinamama
03-08-2017, 09:25 PM
I just looked up a recipe for this and it says to bed with rind on. The particular recipe I looked at the brie is backed in a pastry puff. Does this mean you eat the rind? I usually peel it off or cut around it. Is it supposed to be eaten? lol

I only shave the top of the rind but yes, I've eaten some from around the edges. Not sure what you are "supposed" to do though! :)

Philly Mom
03-08-2017, 09:35 PM

I always eat the rind. It is part of the cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)