PDA

View Full Version : How many Parent/Teacher conferences?

trcy
03-08-2017, 11:45 AM
The other thread about this got me thinking. Just curious, how many conferences do you have with your DCs' teachers? DD school had them shortly before the first report cards went out. Not sure if they have any more. I am sure a parent could request one if needed. I volunteer in the classroom weekly, so I am not concerned. Just curious how often your school has them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Meatball Mommie
03-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Depends on the age of the kids I think...

In elementary school, 1-6 for my kids, we had 2 per year. After grade 6, none unless requested by the parent/teacher specifically.

georgiegirl
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM
For elementary school, twice a year. We just had ours last night. It happens right after the reporting period. School year is divided into three reporting periods. Conferences is mid-November and early March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jren
03-08-2017, 12:13 PM
2nd grader in private school here. It used to be once per year around the first progress report for all kids. This year they changed it and are having them once per quarter at progress report time, but only for kids who aren't meeting all goals. I sort of miss having a time to discuss my goals for my above average kid. They do say we can schedule a meeting any time, but that just feels like labeling me as a trouble maker if I do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM
03-08-2017, 12:13 PM
In elementary, there is one just after the first report card goes out. There is a second, but the teachers invite to that one, I think. I've never been asked to attend or sign up for a time.

In middle school, there are 3 days of conferences in the fall and then 1 night in March. I've not been to the March one because I've never been in town for it. I do go in the fall and try to see all the teachers.

carolinamama
03-08-2017, 12:18 PM
For elementary school, one formal in the fall and then as needed. I'm in the school frequently and talk to my kids' teachers enough that I don't usually worry about scheduling additional conferences.

It will be strange next year when DS1 goes to middle school and I don't have weekly face time with his teachers, even if it's a quick hi while we pass in the hall.

vonfirmath
03-08-2017, 12:30 PM
We only have one a year. But you or the teacher can request additional conferences, as needed.

ahisma
03-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Two per year - K-12. All students. Both in our district and the one my DH teaches at.

BDKmom
03-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Twice a year---end of Sept and end of Feb. Public elementary.

essnce629
03-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Twice a year in my kids' elementary and middle school. Public independent charter.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Mikey0709
03-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Another public charter here - and we have trimesters - so we do 3 conferences a year lead by the student.

DualvansMommy
03-08-2017, 01:12 PM
currently two conferences per year at DS1 private school, but this Sept will be transferring into our public district. They hold one mandatory conference every November K-8th, and as needed conferences in the spring.

jenmcadams
03-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Public K-5
Two per year, although the second one is optional

Private 6-8
2 per year, 15 min with each individual teacher and they take 3 days off school to have them

Public High School
Two per year (cattle call lines in gym, but they work well when teachers are there); our public middle schools are the same

khalloc
03-08-2017, 01:19 PM
I was the OP in the other thread. Public School. Our schools so far(K-5th) have 2 per year. One in November (week of Thanksgiving) and one in early March. There are 3 report cards per school year.

belovedgandp
03-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Twice per year k-12 for the entire district - October and February.

October conferences have first quarter grade cards. K-5 in October is for parents only. In February they conferences are student led, so they come with us for 20 minutes with the teacher.

Middle and high school are come as you can and see who you want as each teacher has a table in the cafeteria. I always joke the math teachers and counselors are the only ones with lines at those.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Public charter- 2/ year but the 2nd one is usually more optional or only if your or the teacher requests it. Usually we get a note saying that everything is going well and the teachers don't request a conference.
Public high school- 2/ year, which surprised me. It's nice because they are just drop in. I don't remember them in high school.
Kids don't attend.

klwa
03-08-2017, 02:26 PM
In elementary, our school will not release the report card unless the parent attends a P/T conference each quarter. So, we have 3 a year to discuss the child's report card & what needs to be done. You can request additional ones as needed. (This is a public elementary.)

I'm not sure how they handle it at the middle school. DS starts there next year.

jgenie
03-08-2017, 03:05 PM
We have two scheduled conferences per year and an optional third before school ends. Private K - 4 elementary.

wendibird22
03-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Public school. K-4 is 3x a year though the 2nd one is optional for 4th. 5-8 is middle school and is optional, as is high school. Starting in middle school there's a parent portal so you can track your student's progress and grades in real time.

KpbS
03-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Private school only 1 per year unless you request another.

catsnkid
03-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Public school on trimester K-4. They have a shortened day during Thanksgiving week for the conferences. Second semester, which ends this week, conferences are optional, you can contact the teacher to schedule one if you want.

ett
03-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Twice a year in elementary school - Fall and Spring.

None in middle school. They have different teachers for each subject so not even sure how conferences would work.

How do conferences work for those who have them in middle school?

smilequeen
03-08-2017, 06:20 PM
Twice a year for us. My kids are in K, 4th, and 6th. Next year DS1 is in middle school, not sure how it works there.

lizzywednesday
03-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Our school has mandatory Fall conferences (late November) and optional Spring conferences.

"Optional" is at the teacher's discretion. We met with DD's teachers in both the Fall and the Spring this school year.

Last year, on the other hand, it seemed we were meeting with her teacher and school administrators (Principal & Vice Principal) every other month.

IansMom
03-09-2017, 12:10 AM
Every Monday DS1 brings home a folder with his assigned work. I have to sign saying I received it and there is a place to mark if I want a teacher conference. I've only met with the teacher once. I requested a conference after Labor Day (school begins the first week of August here) to see if there was anything extra that I needed to do to support DS at home. I haven't had a need for a conference since.

boilermakermom
03-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Public school. None, unless parents contact the teacher and set one up. The district doesn't have a set time.

Kindra178
03-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Twice a year/k-8 district.

squimp
03-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Our middle school has a process where you can meet with any teachers in sort of a speed dating approach, you wait in line to see the teachers you would like to see and talk with them for a few minutes. It is in the cafeteria. This is once a year before the end of fall quarter. Then in 3rd quarter there are additional conferences but those are generally reserved for teachers' discretion, meaning parents they feel they need to see.

Teachers are very accessible and are fine with calls, emails or meetings at other times if need be.