PDA

View Full Version : Use or Toss? Eggs on counter over night...

bisous
03-08-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm inclined to toss. I know in other countries eggs are often left at room temperature but it is my understanding that we handle our eggs differently and that's why they must be refrigerated. What do you think? Would you use them still if you were only using them for baking? (Rather than cooking and eating or obviously in something raw).

Thanks!

khalloc
03-08-2017, 02:19 PM
I'd have no problems still using them. I read a story recently and the reason we refrigerate eggs is that we wash them (before you purchase them) and that gets rid of some protective membrane on the egg. So in order to prevent bacteria, etc...we refrigerate the eggs afterwards. If you just left them on the counter in the egg carton I dont really see the big deal. I would maybe wash the egg before you crack it?

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2017, 02:24 PM
I keep mine out all day if I plan to bake. The texture is so much better on my cakes and cookies when I have the eggs at room temperature. Haven't suffered any consequences yet...

BunnyBee
03-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Use. You can fill a bowl with water and place the eggs in it to check them. If they float, they're old. You'll know a bad/rotten egg when you crack one!

trcy
03-08-2017, 02:47 PM
I am almost always in the toss camp, but this I would use.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
03-08-2017, 03:03 PM
I would use. Eggs are one of those things where you will know if they are bad when you crack them.

meggie t
03-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Use. I've left mine out for a few days for baking but wouldn't hesitate to use for anything.

Liziz
03-09-2017, 11:07 AM
I would also use them, but I would make sure to use them in the next day or two.

div_0305
03-09-2017, 01:54 PM
I'd use them. I think you'd know if they were bad by smell or being very runny. You can also do the water float test (put egg in deep bowl of water and if it floats, it's not good). We only buy eggs from a farm, and they don't wash them, so the protective membrane is intact......we keep a dozen on the counter while we use it up over the week.

chottumommy
03-09-2017, 02:17 PM
I never store eggs in the refrigerator. I usually buy from our local farm so maybe they are fresher. But I leave it out and they stay there for atleast a week before they get used.

Meatball Mommie
03-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Totally fine. We keep chickens and don't refrigerate the eggs until we wash them and even then I don't usually worry about them unless it's super hot out and they've been out a few days already. Honestly, all the years I've kept chickens, I've only had 1 rotten egg - and you'll definitely know it if you crack one open!