PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Help?

Maxlee
03-08-2017, 03:01 PM
My 11 year old DD is looking for a guitar - any suggestions on what to purchase?? Bonus points if it comes in purple!! She plays a couple other instruments and is learning the basics of guitar in music class and would like to continue after the unit in school is done - thanks!!

essnce629
03-08-2017, 03:41 PM
We bought this acoustic guitar for DS1 a little over a year ago when he started lessons. I paid $176. It looks like there's a newer model now for a little more. I also bought a hard case for it.

Yamaha FG700S Solid Top Acoustic Guitar, Natural https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIZISQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aZfWybNQHGGFA

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

ellies mom
03-08-2017, 09:18 PM
My oldest DD plays the electric guitar and bass so I can't help with acoustic recommendations but I will suggest that you look at the 3/4 sizes. They are small enough that an 11 yo can easily play them. But they are also large enough that people will use them as travel guitars. Also, I recommend going to a local store so you can try different models and get advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma
03-08-2017, 09:33 PM
We rented a 3/4 size for the first 6 months or so, then purchased one. That way we knew that he was committed and liked the instrument. We bought a $300 one (Baby Taylor), which was a nicer instrument than we would have purchased right out of the gate.

Rentals were $11/month through a local band instrument shop.

Also, instruments are very personal items. After playing for a few months, she'll be equipped to go to a store and see which one feels and sounds right to her. DS went through quite a few at different stored before picking.