PDA

View Full Version : Quick Resume Help

niccig
03-09-2017, 12:15 AM
I can get my resume with education and professional experience to fit on one page, but I need 4 lines to list the licenses and certificates I need to have for my job. It looks funny to have just that on the 2nd page. I could:

a) list the references after the licenses/certificates, so all together it will be 2 pages, rather than have the references on page 3
b) list the licenses, certificates under my name/addresss, but this is in smaller type and it could be missed, especially is not standard to list it here rather than in own section.

So A or B?

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2017, 12:22 AM
A recent resume I saw had a side margin. I liked the style of it. It was easy to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig
03-09-2017, 12:48 AM
A recent resume I saw had a side margin. I liked the style of it. It was easy to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds interesting...easy to read is a plus. I don't have time to fuss, so I just have the basic template everyone seems to use. I messed around with things and ended up putting the licenses first, then professional experience and education last with not as much spacing - no one cares where I got my degree, it's the licenses that show I can do the job so thought they should go first.

sariana
03-09-2017, 01:20 AM
I always read that references don't belong on a resume.

I agree with putting your licenses first.

niccig
03-09-2017, 01:47 AM

I agree with putting your licenses first.

I've always put the references on a separate page from the resume. I have to upload this, so I'll make it a PDF and upload the 2 pages as one document

ett
03-09-2017, 01:48 AM

:yeahthat: I have never put references on my resume.

TwinFoxes
03-09-2017, 07:05 AM
I don't think the one-page rule is hard and fast anymore. Especially now that most resumes are submitted online. I would just put the certifications on a second page, and not worry about it looking weird, maybe play around with spacing a bit?

I haven't had to hire since I started staying home, but even then people were not putting their physical addresses on resumes, just email and phone. Maybe losing that will gain you some room?

BunnyBee
03-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Education-related jobs tend to ask for CVs, which are 2-3 pages. I don't think I've seen references included in CVs either.

niccig
03-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Education-related jobs tend to ask for CVs, which are 2-3 pages. I don't think I've seen references included in CVs either.

A CV for an academic job runs several pages. I was used to the 2-3 pages when worked at a university in Australia, but here in USA, it needed to be much longer, more like 6 pages.

I haven't been in this field long enough to know the norms for job applications. I needed to submit this application last night. I'll ask around and see how other people put their resume together.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

sariana
03-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Is this for EdJoin? It really doesn't have to be one page for that. You will want to front-load your most important information in case the reader doesn't look at the whole thing, but two pages is fine. I really can't imagine most educators with experience fitting everything on one page.

I have never been expected to provide a a CV, though. EdJoin asks for resumes.

niccig
03-09-2017, 07:23 PM
No it's for a health care position, I was asked to apply by the department's supervisor so I'm hoping my application is put in the "interview" pile, even if my resume wasn't formatted the best. All the relevant information was put into an online application as well. I do need to find out what's expected for resumes in this field.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)