PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian by default?

jgenie
03-10-2017, 04:41 AM
DS1 (9yo) has slowly stopped eating meat. I cook beef, chicken, pork and fish. He used to eat ground beef when he was younger but stopped a few years ago. Just said he didn't like it anymore. He will eat chicken if I make breaded cutlets but won't eat it any other way. Doesn't seem to like the texture. He'll eat bacon and occasionally a bit of ham. He'll eat fish if I prepare it like chicken cutlets and I don't mention it's fish. He won't eat veggies but will eat fruit. He doesn't like eggs. He's pretty much down to carbs, cheese, fruit and milk. I'm at a loss for what to feed him to get some nutrients in him. He loves pizza but I try to limit that to once a week. We follow Ellyn Satter - I make the food and he chooses what to eat. Any BTDT? Tips or tricks to get some nutrients in him? TIA

trcy
03-10-2017, 07:08 AM
What about beans? I wouldn't worry too much about protein, since he will eat cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hillview
03-10-2017, 08:06 AM
Can you ask him? Explain what the body needs and ask him what sounds good for dinners? Can you meal plan together?

jren
03-10-2017, 09:15 AM
My DS8 is similar with regards to meat, but not picky in other ways. Loves fruit and some veggies. Ate raw zucchini noodles for dinner by choice (regular noodles were offered). But he doesn't like meat. He does eat yogurt. I'm a vegetarian and my meals have enough protein without meat, so he's ok. One of his favorite meals is Kale Quinoa Soup. I remember not liking meat, especially ground beef, as a kid, so I don't think that's uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
03-10-2017, 10:48 AM
What about beans? I wouldn't worry too much about protein, since he will eat cheese.

Sorry, DCs woke up and I couldn't finish my thought.
DS (1), is pretty picky. Won't eat meat, veggies, or eggs. DH was very concerned about protein, even though I am a vegetarian. I spoke to his pediatrician and she said as long as he was getting some sources of protein not to worry. DS will eat cheese, beans and peanut butter. When I asked about veggies, she said she would only be concerned if he wouldn't eat fruit either...and he loves fruit. DD (6) is picky too, but in a different way. I never know what she will eat from on day to the next....at least DS is consistent. I just keep offering a variety of foods and try not to make a big deal out of it and avoid mealtime power struggles. They are both growing well and have no signs of nutritional deficiencies, so I don't worry too much about it.

Myira
03-10-2017, 11:18 AM
I am not a meat eater and all my cooking is no meat. I was going to suggest beans and lentil recipes as well. I know you said he does not like veggies, but what about soups, tacos, veggie quesadillas and enchiladas? My kids love all of those. Bean burgers are really easy to make and can be made ahead of time with just about any beans and you can sneak in veggies there as well.

Also, I agree with the suggestion of involving him in the grocery shopping, meal planning and prep.

almostmom
03-10-2017, 11:33 AM
I would suggest smoothies with greek yogurt. My kids don't love protein, and are fairly picky eaters. But the will both down a smoothie with chobani strawberry yogurt 2% and frozen strawberries and bananas. DS is 13, and probably on the cusp of a growth spurt (he's 5'5'' now, but no longer the tallest amongst his friends). He just went to the doctors and we learned that he had only gained a few pounds in the last year. Doc says he needs to be eating protein, especially around sports activities. So while it might not be a big deal when they are younger, I'm realizing I need to get more protein in his diet for the next few years.
What about nuts? My kids go back and forth, but DS will eat a lot of salted peanuts if I offer them. DD likes pistachios and almonds, especially if craisins and chocolate are mixed in...

rin
03-10-2017, 02:07 PM
I definitely second the beans recommendation! My kids (ages 4 & 7) adore beans, their favorites are just pinto or black beans (we cook them up with some onion/garlic/chile pods/salt to taste) served with a sprinkle of cheese/avocado slices, but they also love things like lentil soup, split pea soup, white bean soup, or red bean Texas chili. I usually add diced ham or bacon to my split pea/white bean soups for added flavor. They also like fresh edamame with a sprinkling of salt as a snack.

Another thing you could try is tofu: I put silken tofu in smoothies for breakfasts/snacks, I also use the extra-firm in stir-fries or marinated + dry-fried, then added to sandwiches or wraps.

Will he eat ground turkey, or does he dislike all ground meats? My kids tend not to like beef much, I think it's too rich for them, but they're usually more excited for ground turkey. They're more likely to enjoy ground beef if it's mixed with something else, like lamb or turkey, which I think makes it a little less intense, but usually moan about full cuts of beef, even super nice cuts of steak. They're more into pork and chicken, which I think are generally easier to chew and less intense tasting.

candaceb
03-10-2017, 03:27 PM
I really like the book "It's not about the Broccoli" for this kind of stuff. She really helped me calm down about what DS eats. I think he's actually eating a much better diet because of it.

specialp
03-10-2017, 04:16 PM
I really like the book "It's not about the Broccoli" for this kind of stuff. She really helped me calm down about what DS eats. I think he's actually eating a much better diet because of it.

Love her website, too.

ang79
03-10-2017, 10:30 PM
My 8 yr. old DD2 is not a big meat lover. She does like ham (deli or cooked) and salmon and will tolerate very small portions of meat (few bites of chicken, pork, meatballs, etc.), but will tell anyone she does not like meat. She likes to dip her meat in ketchup or smother it in cheese. If she really fights me, then she gets the choice of peanut butter, yogurt, or cheese with her meal (this is normally what she takes for lunch at school too). She will eat chicken in chicken noodle soup without complaining. She likes some nuts seeds, but does not really like beans. She will eat fried eggs and hard boiled eggs. Thankfully she is not picky on much else (loves veggies and fruits and is also a big carbs person). I figure that as long as she eats a pretty well rounded diet I don't need to worry too much about the not liking meat thing right now.

acmom
03-11-2017, 01:34 PM
I did that as a kid and still eat little meat (even though the rest of my family does!). I never had issues with protein bc I would eat beans, eggs and cheese. My dad who is a physician was always worried about my iron levels, but that was never an issue for me either. I remember visiting a science museum with my family and seeing an exhibit on nutrition and seeing some of the same combos I gravitated towards and made myself at home, like beans and rice, and how they supplied much of what I needed without meat. I did eat a lot of veggies and still do so obviously that helps, but maybe your DS will expand in that way as he ages. Smoothies or quesadillas maybe to sneak in a few veggies, plus the protein of yogurt or cheese? Or using dips and cheeses to get in some veggies/protein? My DS isn't a big veggie eater but really likes Parmesan so will eat some with a lot of that on top or will dip in hummus.