PDA

View Full Version : Question for bakers

liz
03-10-2017, 02:20 PM
So I just bought myself a fancy new bundt pan and am trying out new recipes. I like to make something the kids can eat for breakfast (lemon blueberry cake, banana choc chip etc).

I am trying to make up my own recipes and I have a question about baking powder vs baking soda.

I am not sure why some recipes call for baking powder and baking soda, while others only use baking powder. What do they do for the cake besides make them rise? (or is that only baking powder :confused:)

mikala
03-10-2017, 02:25 PM
This explains the difference pretty well: http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/essential-ingredients/baking-soda-vs-baking-powder

mikala
03-10-2017, 02:31 PM
This one also has some general guidelines about how much of each to use: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/06/11/baking-powder-vs-baking-soda/

liz
03-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Thank you! I googled the question and I kept seeing more science based answers rather than practical answers. The articles you linked are great. I'm planning on printing the info to keep in my recipe binder. I'm more of a cook than a baker, but I am excited to make up my own healthier versions of baked cakes and breads. I've been using greek yogurt in my cakes, so knowing how much baking powder/baking soda to use and when to use them is so helpful!

legaleagle
03-10-2017, 08:54 PM
If you're not much of a baker I'd seek out healthier recipes from a reliable source before making up your own. Even small differences in proportions can have huge effects on the final results in cakes, and healthier ingredients like whole grains, lots of fruit, etc tend to weigh down cakes compared to white flour and sugar. Once you've figured out what works you can start experimenting. You can easily over leaven cakes as well, so they rise up too quickly then collapse back down making it gross and gummy in the middle, and/or taste soapy from too much baking soda.

petesgirl
03-10-2017, 11:09 PM
I'm no help, but just wanted to say-- post your successful recipes here for the rest of us to enjoy!
:) pretty please!

liz
03-12-2017, 01:08 PM
I guess I downplayed my baking abilities earlier. I've made many cakes and breads, but am trying to find existing recipes to modify or combine with healthier ingredients. I asked my original question because I wasn't sure when to add/remove baking soda when baking breads with certain fruits or yogurt. I figured the addition of yogurts, lemon or sweeter fruits (banana) would call for some changes in those particular ingredients. I only use white whole wheat flour, so I'm trying to avoid flat heavy cakes.

I have had good luck in substituting 1/2 the amount butter in a recipe for applesauce ( 50/50 ratio of applesauce to butter). The applesauce gives a moist dense cake vs a drier dense cake will the full amount of butter. I've also wanted to incorporate greek yogurt into my recipes.

I'm no help, but just wanted to say-- post your successful recipes here for the rest of us to enjoy!
:) pretty please!

Everyone in my family loved this recipe:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/glazed-lemon-blueberry-loaf/c432fa4c-8ea6-48c2-b32e-b4310a71c0f5

The original recipe is great. I use fat free greek yogurt in place of sour cream and omitted the lemon in the glaze (personal preference). I've also made this recipe doing 50% butter to 50% applesauce. I might try to cut back on the amount of sugar in the recipe next time. My kids are happy to be guinea pigs for my experiments :)

I've been using my new bundt pan since it's easier to slice and helps cut down on the mess for my kids. The baking time need to be decreased by about 5-10 minutes for a bundt pan. Also I just realized that there is such a thing as BAKING SPRAY vs cooking spray. Baking spray contains flour which gives me a clean release from my baking pans. That's been an awesome discovery for me.

mikala
03-12-2017, 03:58 PM
If you're looking for more base recipes I'd look at the king arthur flour site. I've been pleased with everything I've tried from it and there are a fair number of recipes with whole grains and substitution suggestions.

petesgirl
03-13-2017, 12:36 PM
I guess I downplayed my baking abilities earlier. I've made many cakes and breads, but am trying to find existing recipes to modify or combine with healthier ingredients. I asked my original question because I wasn't sure when to add/remove baking soda when baking breads with certain fruits or yogurt. I figured the addition of yogurts, lemon or sweeter fruits (banana) would call for some changes in those particular ingredients. I only use white whole wheat flour, so I'm trying to avoid flat heavy cakes.

I have had good luck in substituting 1/2 the amount butter in a recipe for applesauce ( 50/50 ratio of applesauce to butter). The applesauce gives a moist dense cake vs a drier dense cake will the full amount of butter. I've also wanted to incorporate greek yogurt into my recipes.

Everyone in my family loved this recipe:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/glazed-lemon-blueberry-loaf/c432fa4c-8ea6-48c2-b32e-b4310a71c0f5

The original recipe is great. I use fat free greek yogurt in place of sour cream and omitted the lemon in the glaze (personal preference). I've also made this recipe doing 50% butter to 50% applesauce. I might try to cut back on the amount of sugar in the recipe next time. My kids are happy to be guinea pigs for my experiments :)

I've been using my new bundt pan since it's easier to slice and helps cut down on the mess for my kids. The baking time need to be decreased by about 5-10 minutes for a bundt pan. Also I just realized that there is such a thing as BAKING SPRAY vs cooking spray. Baking spray contains flour which gives me a clean release from my baking pans. That's been an awesome discovery for me.

Yes! Baking spray is so amazing! I discovered it recently too and use it for all cakes and breads!