PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for the big Northeast snow that's coming?

ang79
03-13-2017, 08:54 AM
I live in Central PA, we are supposed to get hammered (current forecast is saying 12" - 24"). We have only had a few dustings so far this year so my kids are excited for a big snowstorm, but I'm getting worried about the possibility of losing power during a storm. I don't mind shoveling and being snowed in, but being stuck without power and heat would not be good. I'm not working today, so am heading out to stock up on groceries soon (and wine!). Who else is expecting some of this snow?

Mikey0709
03-13-2017, 09:03 AM
RIGHT THERE WITH YA! NW Suburbs of Philly here.... we're in the 18-24 inch zone last I checked.

GO AWAY UNTIL MY KIDS ARE OLD ENOUGH TO USE THE SNOWBLOWER!

My incredible boss is letting me shut down by 3 today to prepare. My husband works at a supermarket and went in today at 4am.

I kinda guess I am ok with getting it all at once if we HAVE to get it...... i liked the mild winter!

mom2binsd
03-13-2017, 09:42 AM
We're not getting that much, but the 4 inches in the road isn't going to make my hour drive each way in a country road brutal!!!! My kids are excited to have snow, wish we didn't have hockey and swimming tonight or they'd go sledding!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
03-13-2017, 09:43 AM
Making a run for groceries and tons of wine this afternoon! It's also DS1's first day of spring break, and we're not going away till later this weekend.

I knew we would get hammered before spring officially arrived! Felt like we were too lucky to have the extremely mild winter this far [emoji12] expecting 18-21" too in Central Jersey, I was hoping we get the 6-12" but we're little too north of that belt.

Darn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
03-13-2017, 09:57 AM
We are in the 8-12 inch forecast section. I am so not looking forward to this!! Praying the power doesn't go out -- I can deal with it as long as I am warm -- but my schedule has been so messed up at work the last couple of weeks due to 3 candidates coming in for all day interviews, and we have one more scheduled for Thursday. I just really need some quality time to get some stuff done!!

div_0305
03-13-2017, 10:04 AM
I have no comment except this after reading the above comments:ROTFLMAO::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

ang79
03-13-2017, 10:24 AM
I have no comment except this after reading the above comments:ROTFLMAO::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU

Bread and milk are both on my shopping list because we really are out of those!

nfceagles
03-13-2017, 11:27 AM
I love big snow storms and snow days. DH is away as usual so I have a date with a snowblower! We are in the 12-18 band so significant but not crazy. I ran to the store this morning and got gas for the car and the snowblower. Last storm I ran out of gas even though DH checked before he left town and said there was plenty in the snowblower.

Dream
03-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Blizzard warning for NYC 8-12" snow expected. I hope they'll close the schools, that's the only way to keep people off the roads.

Philly Mom
03-13-2017, 12:01 PM
Blizzard warning for NYC 8-12" snow expected. I hope they'll close the schools, that's the only way to keep people off the roads.

I guess I am prepared though not sure what that means. I am bbqing a large amount of protein tonight. Yes, DH asked me to bbq. We live walking distance to two supermarkets, starbucks, multiple restaurants, etc. so this is never a big issue for us. We often find ourselves walking to the market during snow storms. I have a ton of work to do though so having kids home tomorrow will be awful and DH is on a 6 hour conference call tomorrow so he won't be any help.

Snow mom
03-13-2017, 01:33 PM
I don't think we are going to get too hammered (knock on wood). We are more in the wet snow band with some chance of it snowing and then raining to form a good block of ice. The people at the grocery store definately think it's going to be bad though! Today is my normal grocery day and it was madness at the store.

mmsmom
03-13-2017, 01:47 PM
I fear that our luck has run out and this will be the time we loose power. We have been really lucky through a lot of storms. My DH has been so stubborn about getting a generator. The house is already wired we just need the actual generator but because we rarely lose power he is hesitant to spend the money. The one time we did lose power though I was quick to point out the cost of all the food I had to throw out.

lizzywednesday
03-13-2017, 02:08 PM
If we're using Unca Bill's scale, we're at full-on tequila with a chance of mezcal out on Long Island.

We have food in the house, beer, tequila, vodka, and snow shovels.
I just ran out to get some last-minute cereal and bottled water. The nearby grocery store was a total mob-scene; I walked out without the two items I'd come in to get because the lines at cashiered checkout lanes were down the aisles (and the self-check is both poorly laid out and not limited by order size.)

DD just had a birthday, so she's got a new LEGO set and some new toys that haven't lost their "oooh! new toy!" glow.
We have Netflix on all our devices.
DD's tablet is fully charged & ready to go.

We're about as ready as we're going to be.

wendibird22
03-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Making a run for groceries and tons of wine this afternoon! It's also DS1's first day of spring break, and we're not going away till later this weekend.

I knew we would get hammered before spring officially arrived! Felt like we were too lucky to have the extremely mild winter this far [emoji12] expecting 18-21" too in Central Jersey, I was hoping we get the 6-12" but we're little too north of that belt.

Darn!

4582 This made me think of your wine run!

I'm in the "who the F knows" region because they still aren't sure how far west in NY the heavier snow will be nor what the lake effect snow enhancement might be...it's been so unseasonably warm that Erie and Ontario never really froze over so we could still get lake effect snow this late in the season. So it's either all hype or we are in for a doozy! I'm kind of hoping for a snow day tomorrow.

DualvansMommy
03-13-2017, 03:01 PM

I'm in the "who the F knows" region because they still aren't sure how far west in NY the heavier snow will be nor what the lake effect snow enhancement might be...it's been so unseasonably warm that Erie and Ontario never really froze over so we could still get lake effect snow this late in the season. So it's either all hype or we are in for a doozy! I'm kind of hoping for a snow day tomorrow.

Thanks for the laugh! My boys were with me for my grocery run, definitely more people than usual but not too bad! It was all full hands on with every cashier lane open. I'm really hoping not to lose power! That's my main concern, can deal with anything as long we have HEAT and power to have our tv/movie run, boys want to make snow fort in our backyard. That'll be fun! I got quite few bottles of wine, as were solidly in the 15 bottles path according to your map [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ang79
03-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Just texted DH to run by the liquor store on his way home from work (I forgot when I was out today!). Looks like we are on the border of 7 bottles and 25 bottles!

pinkmomagain
03-13-2017, 03:28 PM
So disappointed we are getting this late winter blast on Long Island. Hopefully it's the last of the season. Had to move all my clients out of my appointment book for tomorrow and reschedule. Shovels in the house, as is the ice melt. Gonna bring in the car snow scrapers too. House is packed full of food and I'm making a brisket now for us to enjoy tomorrow. We have a generator in case the electricity goes out (please no!). Pulled the outdoor garbage cans out of their gated area so that they are more easily accessible. Put gas in car. Will charge our phones and laptops this evening. Chocolate, brownie mix, ice cream, alcohol -- check! Think we are pretty much as ready as we'll ever be.

ArizonaGirl
03-13-2017, 06:08 PM
:gloomy::crying:I'm not going to lie... Living in PHX, AZ. I'm kind of jealous.

It's currently 91 degrees outside.

We are having our a/c checked next week so I really don't want to turn it on until then...

ang79
03-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Just got the call that our schools are closed tomorrow! And it hasn't even started doing anything here yet....

PZMommy
03-13-2017, 07:00 PM
:gloomy::crying:I'm not going to lie... Living in PHX, AZ. I'm kind of jealous.

It's currently 91 degrees outside.

We are having our a/c checked next week so I really don't want to turn it on until then...

Me too, I'm in Los Angeles and 94. I'm from Chicago and they are getting snow today as well. My kids have never seen snow and are so jealous!!

Mikey0709
03-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Honestly, as much as I complain, I wouldn't want it any other way. I LOVE living in Pennsylvania with the perfect mix of 4 seasons. These rare extreme storms keep us on our game.

So I guess some of your kids don't know the ways to get a school snow day:
Wear your pj's backwards
Put ice cubes in the toilet
Sleep with a spoon under your pillow....

JBaxter
03-13-2017, 08:29 PM
I'm on the Gulf Coast of FL and we just got a tornado warning here Lightening and calling for hail :O

Snow mom
03-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Just got the call that our schools are closed tomorrow! And it hasn't even started doing anything here yet....

Everyone is just assuming schools will close here. DH has already been excused from work by the governor. Now I'm :praying: that they don't cancel school and it will be an adults wear pajamas while kids go to school day.

AnnieW625
03-13-2017, 08:41 PM
I always get jealous when it rains and snows elsewhere in the US. I think it only got to the mod 70s today, but yeah if I could have my four seasons every year I would be happy (although this year has been better than most). I a, from Sacramento so not necessarily super cold snow country.

DualvansMommy
03-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Everyone is just assuming schools will close here. DH has already been excused from work by the governor. Now I'm :praying: that they don't cancel school and it will be an adults wear pajamas while kids go to school day.

Our public district made the call to close at 4pm today! Usually they call 4-5am on mornings of school day if gonna do delay or cancel. But DS1's private school is on spring break officially today till 28th, so doesn't really matter either way to me.

StantonHyde
03-14-2017, 01:13 AM
wow--all this for 18-24" of snow? In Pennsylvania? That's a good Utah snow storm but nothing closes and we certainly don't lose power. I remember the ice storms back east being bad--that's what shut down roads etc.

DualvansMommy
03-14-2017, 01:21 AM
wow--all this for 18-24" of snow? In Pennsylvania? That's a good Utah snow storm but nothing closes and we certainly don't lose power. I remember the ice storms back east being bad--that's what shut down roads etc.

We're also forecasting 30-40mph of wind and whiteout conditions. We'll see how reliable the info is by morning! The last time a big storm were predicted a month or two ago turned out to be just flurries!

Dream
03-14-2017, 08:31 AM
So disappointed we are getting this late winter blast on Long Island. Hopefully it's the last of the season. Had to move all my clients out of my appointment book for tomorrow and reschedule. Shovels in the house, as is the ice melt. Gonna bring in the car snow scrapers too. House is packed full of food and I'm making a brisket now for us to enjoy tomorrow. We have a generator in case the electricity goes out (please no!). Pulled the outdoor garbage cans out of their gated area so that they are more easily accessible. Put gas in car. Will charge our phones and laptops this evening. Chocolate, brownie mix, ice cream, alcohol -- check! Think we are pretty much as ready as we'll ever be.

Are you in Nassau or Suffolk? We are building in Nassau and I'm wondering whether we should have asked the electricians to give us a quote for wiring for a generator?

lizzywednesday
03-14-2017, 12:31 PM

Our school-closing call came at about 5:45p last night.

It's pretty messy with gusting winds and sleet. The roads are slick, and there's flooding down the shore.

pinkmomagain
03-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Are you in Nassau or Suffolk? We are building in Nassau and I'm wondering whether we should have asked the electricians to give us a quote for wiring for a generator?

I'm in Nassau. I grew up here and in all these years, we survived fine without a generator ......... until Sandy. My husband got a generator and had an electrician wire for it after that. We haven't had to use it, but it's nice to know that we could power up some of the house in case we lost electricity again for an extended period of time.

If it's not that much more to wire for it, I would.

ang79
03-14-2017, 01:02 PM
I'm in Nassau. I grew up here and in all these years, we survived fine without a generator ......... until Sandy. My husband got a generator and had an electrician wire for it after that. We haven't had to use it, but it's nice to know that we could power up some of the house in case we lost electricity again for an extended period of time.

I was talking w/ DH about this last night, as our neighborhood has lost power for several days in the past and now that we have built our long term home here, I'd like to get a generator. How do you wire it so it just runs some things (fridge, maybe microwave, and gas furnace?) Our neighbor has a whole house generator, but it was pretty costly to put in. I don't need everything, just enough power so my food doesn't spoil and that we have heat.

jgenie
03-14-2017, 02:27 PM
I was talking w/ DH about this last night, as our neighborhood has lost power for several days in the past and now that we have built our long term home here, I'd like to get a generator. How do you wire it so it just runs some things (fridge, maybe microwave, and gas furnace?) Our neighbor has a whole house generator, but it was pretty costly to put in. I don't need everything, just enough power so my food doesn't spoil and that we have heat.

Our system has an emergency panel in the garage. Everything is labeled and you just flip the switches for the areas you want to have power - kitchen, bedrooms, furnace and living spaces - we just hunker down in a few rooms so we don't have to power everything. We have a portable generator because we don't have natural gas. If we could get natural gas we would get a permanent generator.

trales
03-14-2017, 02:30 PM

You buy it and have it professionally installed- when you buy it, you figure out what you want to run on it - they size it for the number of things - then the electrician does their magic and hooks up just what you want. It is typically done by individual breakers. Whatever you do, don't get one that has a pull start like a lawn mower- they never work when you want them to and just a waste of money. Get it diesel or natural gas and have it have an auto start button.

liz
03-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Got the message that school was cancelled yesterday at 5pm. Luckily I don't have to work today, so yay! Homemade meatballs in the crockpot, brownies cooling on the counter and plenty of food. Generator ready to go, just in case. The snow is HEAVY, it's now icy rain and windy. Thank goodness we have a snow thrower. I made sure DH's car had a small shovel and car brushes to make sure he could get out of his parking lot at work today. I just spent some $$$ online at Lands End, buying clothes for an upcoming trip and school clothes next year. Poor kids had a ton of homework, I think the teachers are over all the snow days we've had recently!

liz
03-14-2017, 03:34 PM

We had our generator hardwired and installed by our electrician. We have septic and use oil to heat, so we chose the most important areas to run on the generator. Water, fridge, some kitchen lights and outlets, minimal living room lights and outlets, and heat. Our generator lives in the garage and we keep it on a dolly to wheel outside when we turn it on. When looking for a generator, look for one that has a good engine (I think ours is a Honda engine). I believe our generator is 6000 watts, so we are able to run quite a few things at a time. Be careful not to use kitchen items that require a lot of wattage, it will overload your generator (ask me how I know :innocent:). Ours has the pull string and we've never had an issue. Our dream would be to have a whole house generator, but that would require us to get propane, so for us it would be a really expensive project.

Dream
03-14-2017, 11:50 PM

Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm in Queens now and we've been so lucky so far but I know weather is worse in LI.

pinkmomagain
03-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm in Queens now and we've been so lucky so far but I know weather is worse in LI.

Hey, you know, you could ask your future neighbors if they lose their electricity often. That could help with your decision!

Dream
03-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Hey, you know, you could ask your future neighbors if they lose their electricity often. That could help with your decision!

Why didn't I think of that. Thank you!!

ang79
03-15-2017, 12:34 PM
Another snow day here. I finally got my car dug out this morning, but it is snowing again and wind blowing quite a bit, so of course everything i cleared is starting to get covered again, ugh!

khalloc
03-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Well we are in Burlington VT and we got just over 29" of snow. It started yesterday around 10:00am and ended today around 11am. We didn't lose power (we almost never do). Schools were closed yesterday and today. I'm anticipating they will be open tomorrow.