PDA

View Full Version : Summer family vacation ideas needed, east coast?

ang79
03-13-2017, 10:52 AM
We like to vacation with close friends. In the past we have rented a beach house at Cape May and Bethany Beach, but they do not love the beach as much as we do, so want to do a different type of vacation this year. Some beach is OK, but they want options that go beyond just a week at the beach. Four kids total (boy-10, girl-10, girl-8, girl-7). We live in PA and due to air fare costs, would prefer something within a decent driving distance. We discussed Williamsburg, VA (and could also do the beach and Busch Gardens while there), but I went to Williamsburg as a kid in July and it was so hot and miserable, so I'm afraid of the same experience this time. We may be able to swing a trip in the beginning of June, otherwise we are looking at July or mid-August. We've also thought about camping at a lake resort (Lake George in NY, Deep Creek in MD). Any other ideas? I'm totally a week at the beach type person, so not really sure what else is out there! Oh, we would prefer where we could rent a house to share for the week and cook some of our own meals, rather than stay in a hotel and eat all of our meals out (did that last year w/ the in-laws in Mass. and it ended up being so expensive). In the past we've typically paid about $1800 to rent a beach house for the week, so looking for similar costs.

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2017, 11:05 AM
I was going to suggest Deep Creek! We've loved all of our houses that we have rented there. You're getting a bit late to get the really good houses so be sure and read fine print and reviews (if applicable). We wound up with one that looked great on paper but had no a/c (we survived) and was way out and around to get to from the central area (which was tedious). We love all the hiking, the nature center (and programs), Wisp's summer activities, mini golf and doing water sports. Lots of good day trips in the area as well. Is $1800 your total though? Might be tight.

You're too late for this one (it's been wait list forever), consider the Deer Valley YMCA family camp in the future. (Or another YMCA camp that might be in your area). They do all the cooking for you and it's basically a kids' summer camp but parents get to do all the fun stuff too. :) The price would be right as well.

ahisma
03-13-2017, 11:05 AM
We were in a somewhat similar situation and wound up renting a cottage in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. Trip is this summer, so no reviews, but we're looking forward to it.

khalloc
03-13-2017, 02:09 PM
I love Cape Cod in the summer. You can definitely rent a house, yes, its a lot of beach, but there is plenty of non-beach things to do like whale watching, and exploring cute towns.

nfceagles
03-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Maybe Gatlinburg, TN area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBW
03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Is Maine too far? We've quite a few vacations in coastal areas, and will be going to Acadia for the third time this summer.

ang79
03-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Is Maine too far? We've quite a few vacations in coastal areas, and will be going to Acadia for the third time this summer.

Our family did Rockport, MA last summer with DH's family and it was a hike. We actually stopped in CT overnight on the way up to break up the trip a bit, but drove straight through on the way home and it took forever. Or it felt like forever with kids in the car! I'd say 8 hrs. is definately my max for driving.

jse107
03-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Smith Mountain Lake near Roanoke, VA is AMAZING. We went last summer with the kids and extended family and had a great time. Nice drive through the mountains to get there and it's very peaceful.

bnme
03-13-2017, 03:46 PM
Vermont. The ski resorts all have summer activities. You could get a condo on the mountain. Many have lots of great pools, hiking programs, and camp-type activities for kids and adults. Stowe and Burlington are great towns with great bike trails.

123LuckyMom
03-13-2017, 09:18 PM
The Berkshires or the Adirondacks (or both, because they're close to one another.)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khalloc
03-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Vermont. The ski resorts all have summer activities. You could get a condo on the mountain. Many have lots of great pools, hiking programs, and camp-type activities for kids and adults. Stowe and Burlington are great towns with great bike trails.

As someone who lives in Burlington, VT, I will say it is awesome in the summer. Stowe would be nice too. burlington has a lakeside bike path that is so nice. Plus there is Shelburne museum nearby, Shelburne farms, lots of hiking, etc...same with Stowe. Although butlington has the lake which is so nice in summer.

mom2binsd
03-14-2017, 10:52 PM
I agree, rent a summer house/cabin along Lake Champlain in Burlington VT, look for rentals around Shelburne. Lots to do and you can swim and chill, shop a bit, take a day trip etc.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk