PDA

View Full Version : Speed Queen users - need an update on how you like it:)

twowhat?
03-14-2017, 11:05 AM
I know there are several Speed Queen users here...can you update on how you're liking your machines? Our front-load washer (Frigidaire) is 12 years old, has been through 1 move, and has only had 1 service call on it (which from what I'm gathering, we've been really lucky). It is still churning away with no issues other than a super ugly mold-stained gasket. It's clean and doesn't smell, but the mold stains are permanent. It does a good job of washing our clothes but I tend to use the highest water setting for every load, and I have to do extra rinses often since I can often still see bubbles from detergent spinning out of our clothes. Our matching dryer is starting to squeak and throw out an occasional error code and I feel like it might actually not last as long as the washer. Anyway, we're considering replacing both the washer and dryer before they go kaput. We've been happy with the life we got out of those things!

Laundry-wise we do the typical kid and adult laundry. The most heavily soiled items are usually dog laundry (dog bedding) and our bath towels and sheets (DH and I have oily skin). For the bath towels and sheets, I typically have to add a good squirt of Dawn, in ADDITION to Oxyclean, into the laundry to cut through the body oils. Oxyclean alone doesn't cut it. I know Dawn is probably a no-no, but what else can you do when you need to get body oils out of towels and sheets?? I run enough extra rinses after using Dawn until the water runs clear/not bubbly so in theory that should be fine, right? Once our girls hit puberty I know we will be dealing with even more oily towels and sheets.

So that's our main laundry challenge. We do have a King-size bed, but I imagine sheets and blankets aren't a capacity issue (comforters we would send to the dry cleaners). Also, we are able to wash an entire Kirkland dog bed in our front loader. Not too concerned with this in the future, as we will just be sure we buy beds that have a completely removable cover (still upset with Costco for selling that one model with no removable cover...).

Would a Speed Queen meet these needs? And how are their dryers? I imagine constructed just as well as the washers? I also see that SQ has front-load options...does anyone have one of these?

Noise might be an issue with the laundry room just off the kitchen/dining. But I wonder if I could just replace the laundry room door with a more insulated solid door. LOL, is all that worth it for a Speed Queen?

I'm afraid of buying another front-loader really for reliability issues...I feel like stuff is made so cheaply these days.

teresah00
03-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Our SQ is a top loader and about 5-6 years old. We've never had an issue w oil. I would explore different detergent. I'm able to do our laundry for our family of six without an issue. It's a little smaller than our front loader. Our king blanket takes up the entire washer. I also wash our guinea pig's towels and fleece in there. Not sure how it would handle a dog bed.

robinsmommy
03-14-2017, 04:19 PM
For oil, hot water is what you really need, and good detergent. What temp do you wash sheets on? Sadly, many sheets these days aren't meant to be laundered in hot. Cotton has gotten so expensive that they skimp on fabric and tell us to wash in colder temps to prevent shrinkage.

For me, ideally I'd like to have a front loader and a top loader. Not very likely!

lkoala
03-15-2017, 02:49 PM
We bought the dryer a couple of months ago and it works great. Its fast and dries quickly. Doesn't make much noise at all. We are going to buy a speed queen washer soon.

c&j04
03-15-2017, 03:19 PM
:yeahthat:

Except it's been 2 years already and we still haven't bought the washer. Love the dryer

Smillow
03-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Still loving my washer! It's been at least 2, maybe 3 years.

Mikey0709
03-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Almost 2 years here - still love it. Cleans well, cleans FAST. Definitely not a huge washer, but we haven't had any trouble fitting anything. I actually found it works better when you don't overfill. We didn't purchase the dryer since our 20+ yo one is still kicking.

JustMe
03-15-2017, 05:50 PM
I have the top loading washer. I think its still less than a year, but I am very happy with it. I only have full bed, so cant speak to some of your questions around capacity. It is very loud, but its off my living room and we have learned to tune it out or not do laundry when we want/need quiet.

Dcclerk
03-16-2017, 12:40 AM
We only have the dryer but have every intention of getting the washer as soon as our current one is gone from the world. It gives me unbelievably great joy to be able to simply turn on knob and make the dryer work well. I hate appliances that have a motherboard and computerized parts. I much prefer the old-school simplicity of this dryer. My husband mocks me that I spent more money than most dryers for something that has 40-year-old technology, but I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
03-16-2017, 08:25 PM
I have had my washer for 3 yrs., and love it. We still wash our sheets on warm or hot as well and don't have oil issues; we are currently using Cheer Free with no issues, but have used Gain, Arm & Hammer, or Tide Free with luck before. We have an Electrolux dryer (base gas model and love it) that we have had for four yrs. If I were to get a front loader again (I had a mid range Frigidaire sold as a Kenmore) I would get an Electrolux.

Be warned some of the newer Speed Queen models have electronics (https://www.appliancesconnection.com/speed-queen-awne92sp.html?ref=froogle&ref=rap&mkwid=s0wF7qVD8&pcrid=38939790134&KW=&pdv=m&gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZ0mHMeOzq-CvCGIIE43Mz9jzi-W6mN8W7JRnsdxP2WcaArG78P8HAQ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
04-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Does anyone have a King bed and a Speed Queen top loader and can comment on washing sheets, duvet covers, and blankets? I don't need to be able to wash a King comforter (we send that to the dry cleaners every so often and use a duvet cover) but we do have a good thick cotton fleece blanket (thicker/heavier than regular fleece) that I wash regularly. Theresah - how thick is the king blanket that you wash? I don't mind if it takes up the entire washer, and long as it can be washed:)

I see that SQ also makes front loaders that have more capacity but irritatingly, they don't make them with left hinge doors, and the hinge isn't reversible!!! Ugh.

Our washer is starting to pool water in the drum when not in use - I'm sure it's probably a simple fix but I think we're coming up on time to replace.

gymnbomb
04-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have a King bed and a Speed Queen top loader and can comment on washing sheets, duvet covers, and blankets? I don't need to be able to wash a King comforter (we send that to the dry cleaners every so often and use a duvet cover) but we do have a good thick cotton fleece blanket (thicker/heavier than regular fleece) that I wash regularly. Theresah - how thick is the king blanket that you wash? I don't mind if it takes up the entire washer, and long as it can be washed:)

I see that SQ also makes front loaders that have more capacity but irritatingly, they don't make them with left hinge doors, and the hinge isn't reversible!!! Ugh.

Our washer is starting to pool water in the drum when not in use - I'm sure it's probably a simple fix but I think we're coming up on time to replace.

Ours is doing the exact same thing! My husband looked it up and thinks he can order a part to fix it, but since I don't like our washer anyway we decided to just shut off the water between loads for now and buy a new one this summer after I decide what I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk