PDA

View Full Version : Meal ideas for new parents?

trcy
03-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Some friends of ours just had a baby and we would like to bring them a meal. Preferably something that's already assembled and they would just need to put in the oven when they are ready to eat. All I can think of is lasagna. Any other ideas? I know there is a peanut allergy, maybe other nuts too, I can't remember. While I manage to feed my family, I am not a good cook? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

boilermakermom
03-15-2017, 03:08 PM
I received quite a few meals when I had DS, and our favorite was a Costco rotisserie chicken, fresh green salad with lots of veggies, kaiser rolls, and a cake for dessert. I believe everything came from Costco, with the exception of salad.

Another friend brought sloppy joes, buns, chips and veggies and dip.

Another friend did a big bag of snacks - granola bars, dried fruit, trail mix, small baggies of baby carrots, hummus, string cheese, etc. All things I could grab quickly or eat with one hand. I really appreciated the bag of snacks!! Great for middle of the night hunger!

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Roast chicken, roast veggies, salad, rolls
Ham and above.
Both are great for leftovers, sandwiches and using in other recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom
03-15-2017, 03:25 PM
I do either chicken pot pie or ham and cheese quiche with salad and zucchini bread. The latter can be any meal or a snack.

boolady
03-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Ham, salad, mac and cheese, fruit.

bw52
03-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Taco or taco salad fixings

I liked lighter things and fresh fruit and vegetables more than heavy casseroles and lasagna

acmom
03-15-2017, 08:49 PM
I often did a soup, salad, fruit and bread. That way it could be used for lunch or dinner and hopefully any older kids might eat some portion of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
03-15-2017, 09:07 PM
my go to is roasted chicken with veggies or a pot roast & veggies.

Kestrel
03-15-2017, 10:26 PM
I liked to make a soup, stew or chili that freezes well. I bring a big batch and help put them into freezer sizes they prefer, single or two-serving sizes. Also, cut fruit or veg that is grab & go - prep time is tough to come by when you have a newborn!

DualvansMommy
03-15-2017, 10:43 PM
I liked both versions; lighter and fresh items like fruit salad, salad with fixings separate to make easy set up for each member of family, grilled chicken and salmon. I appreciated that more than the heavier stuff cuz DS1 was born in early summer, huge bag of snacks of cut up veggies, trail mix in small bags, granola etc was really good for me!

Now I would make soups to be assembled into single or two serving containers. A roast pan of protein with veggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk