PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Crock Pot

Pilotbaby
03-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Hello,
We have a really large oval shaped kitchen aid crockpot. I love it but its so big it doesn't really fit in the sink and I keep breaking it and having to replace the insert. Thinking maybe we need to get a less expensive one to use when we don't need the large one. Any good suggestions from maybe Amazon or Bed Bath and Beyond where I can use a coupon? TIA

MMMommy
03-15-2017, 11:36 PM
I've been using this one for at least 5 years now,and it has worked well for me.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-6-5-quart-programmable-slow-cooker/1016059650?Keyword=cuisinart+slow+cooker

squimp
03-15-2017, 11:56 PM
I have had this one for 4 years and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZI26GO/

klwa
03-16-2017, 07:16 AM
https://smile.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCV401TR-4-Quart-Manual-Cooker/dp/B000AB32PE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1489662659&sr=8-4&keywords=crock+pot+red

I think this is the one I have. No bells, no whistles, but the right side for our family.

meggie t
03-16-2017, 08:03 AM
I use the same one as squimp. Recommended by Cooks Illustrated. Works great.

zukeypur
03-16-2017, 10:33 AM
I use the same one as squimp. Recommended by Cooks Illustrated. Works great.

Me too. I love it

AnnieW625
03-16-2017, 08:17 PM
I have the 4.5 qt. Cuisinart and have had it about 3 yrs, if not closer to 4 and I love it. It was between this one and the Hamilton Beach one. Sadly they don't make the one I have anymore, just a 3.5 qt., and the larger 6.5 qt. . I might also consider an Instant Pot because it has slow cooker capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
03-16-2017, 08:41 PM
I know you're asking on recommendations for crock pot, im voting for instant pressure cooker instead! [emoji106]

DualvansMommy
03-16-2017, 08:43 PM
I have the 4.5 qt. Cuisinart and have had it about 3 yrs, if not closer to 4 and I love it. It was between this one and the Hamilton Beach one. Sadly they don't make the one I have anymore, just a 3.5 qt., and the larger 6.5 qt. . I might also consider an Instant Pot because it has slow cooker capabilities.

I would highly recommend the instant pot, as like you said it has slow cooker capability. that's how I bought mine when my Hamilton crockpot broke down last year, I didn't want to have too many appliances. The IP replaced my rice cooker AND crockpot freeing up space for my IP and more in my kitchen. Best decision I ever made!

Pilotbaby
03-17-2017, 09:17 AM
What do you use the instant pressure cooker for as opposed to the crock pot?
I know you're asking on recommendations for crock pot, im voting for instant pressure cooker instead! [emoji106]

MMMommy
03-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to add that I have an Instant Pot (and the Cuisinart slow cooker I posted about above). DH loves our Instant Pot!

DualvansMommy
03-17-2017, 11:28 AM
What do you use the instant pressure cooker for as opposed to the crock pot?

I use it for several different things; cook beans in it (usually takes an hour to 90 mins depending how much I put in), cook 18 eggs in it to make hard boiled eggs in 6 mins. I also use it all the time to make roasts like roast chicken, chuck roast (for sandwich cuttings, French dip sandwich, stir fry, etc) and cook rice in it. I even make decent risotto with the pressure cooker, something I couldn't get right from stovetop method. I use it as a slow cooker as have long drive to pick up my oldest son from school, so I need it to start dinner and keep it warm for me on evenings he has games or practice at 5pm. DH loves his overnight steel oats that I put in night before on a timer, so it makes for us while we're getting ready for our day, and it's ready to eat!

PunkyBoo
03-17-2017, 12:51 PM
I would highly recommend the instant pot, as like you said it has slow cooker capability. that's how I bought mine when my Hamilton crockpot broke down last year, I didn't want to have too many appliances. The IP replaced my rice cooker AND crockpot freeing up space for my IP and more in my kitchen. Best decision I ever made!

ITA. I was a reluctant IP convert but I LOVE it now. Tonight I'm making corned beef and cabbage in it- 2 hours! I've used it for rice. This week I made delicious cream of broccoli and leek soup in 20 minutes. Hard boiled eggs in IP are the best I've ever had (and they peel with one hand). BBQ Brisket in 2 hours. The best baby back ribs we've ever had, the IP does them in under an hour. I made our own apple butter that was wonderful. I steam artichokes in it about once a week, 10-20 minutes only! Beef stew. Oh and a delicious pork recipe that I converted from slow cooker recipe, shredded and served with egg noodles and a granny Smith apple slaw. So far we've all loved everything I've made in it. The crock pot just didn't work for me anymore- I leave for work at 6:10am and don't have time to prep stuff for crock pot that early. And I get home at 4:30-5 so lots of stuff I'd tried to crock pot would be dried out/ overcooked/ burned by then.

mikala
03-17-2017, 12:54 PM
ITA. I was a reluctant IP convert but I LOVE it now. Tonight I'm making corned beef and cabbage in it- 2 hours! I've used it for rice. This week I made delicious cream of broccoli and leek soup in 20 minutes. Hard boiled eggs in IP are the best I've ever had (and they peel with one hand). BBQ Brisket in 2 hours. The best baby back ribs we've ever had, the IP does them in under an hour. I made our own apple butter that was wonderful. I steam artichokes in it about once a week, 10-20 minutes only! Beef stew. Oh and a delicious pork recipe that I converted from slow cooker recipe, shredded and served with egg noodles and a granny Smith apple slaw. So far we've all loved everything I've made in it. The crock pot just didn't work for me anymore- I leave for work at 6:10am and don't have time to prep stuff for crock pot that early. And I get home at 4:30-5 so lots of stuff I'd tried to crock pot would be dried out/ overcooked/ burned by then.
Any chance you can share your converted pork recipe? That sounds delicious!

I'm making corned beef and cabbage in it tonight too :)

PunkyBoo
03-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Any chance you can share your converted pork recipe? That sounds delicious!

I'm making corned beef and cabbage in it tonight too :)
Sure! I ripped it out of a Real Simple magazine 2 years ago- let me know if you can't read it. I just did everything the same except I did the pork with onions, dill and liquids in the IP for 50 minutes (instead of 7 hours in the slow cooker!)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170317/71a2372838164d343ed98365b8cc8917.jpg

legaleagle
03-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Love my instant pot! http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

Globetrotter
03-17-2017, 02:43 PM
I would get an IP. Much more versatile.

mikala
03-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Sure! I ripped it out of a Real Simple magazine 2 years ago- let me know if you can't read it. I just did everything the same except I did the pork with onions, dill and liquids in the IP for 50 minutes (instead of 7 hours in the slow cooker!)

Thank you!!

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2017, 09:57 AM

I'm surprised it took that many replies for someone to say it, lol. My vote is to just go ahead and get 2 instant pots...one for main dishes and one for sides. :)

123LuckyMom
03-18-2017, 11:39 AM
In case you're not aware, you can use the Instant Pot as a slow cooker, not just as a pressure cooker. I don't own a crock pot, just the Instant Pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

okinawama
03-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Another vote for the instant pot. The texture of meat is so much better out of an instantpot vs a slow cooker!