PDA

View Full Version : Best LED bulbs

KrisM
03-21-2017, 07:24 AM
We have been using Cree, but are disappointed in how short they last for the price. Many of them have lasted quite a while, but a significant amount have not. Most recently, one was put in on Christmas Eve and it is already out. We are frustrated and looking to change brands. Any recommendations of brands that have consistently lasted for years?

I do plan to call Cree today, but their warranty info says I'd have to mail the bulb to them for a replacement. I'm not sure it's worth it, really.

o_mom
03-21-2017, 07:49 AM
We have had good luck with IKEA bulbs.

cookiemonster198
03-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Nothing to suggest but I've been wondering about the amazon basic line

LD92599
03-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Costco!! They have lasted forever for us and SO much cheaper than others.

khm
03-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Costco!! They have lasted forever for us and SO much cheaper than others.

We had a terrible bunch of the CFL bulbs a few years back from Costco. The twirly ones. They were Feit brand. They were awful longevity-wise.

It was too much of a pain to pull them all down and return them, but they lasted like months vs. the years they were supposed to.

I've been leary of Costco bulbs since, so I am glad to read this as we are making the slow transition to LED now....

The last set of LEDs I bought were Hyperikon from Amazon. I got a 4 pack and one was bad (would turn on, then off a few minutes later, after a couple days, it stopped all together). I emailed them and they did send me a new one, but I'm dubious of all of them at this point!

jam224
03-22-2017, 09:50 AM
CFLs have been awful for us. I hate those things. We buy the basic LED bulbs available at Lowe's. The brand is Utilitech.

khm
03-22-2017, 10:12 AM
CFLs have been awful for us. I hate those things. We buy the basic LED bulbs available at Lowe's. The brand is Utilitech.

Yeah, they were a bust for sure! Do they even sell them anymore?

I'm just super dubious in general because we had a 1 out of 4 failure on LEDs after having a terrible time with the CFLs. This "years and years" of use claim just isn't panning out!

meggie t
03-22-2017, 10:54 AM
I started replacing various bulbs with LED. I purchased Costco Feit brand dimmable bulbs. Really like them but only have had for about 6 months. No issues yet. The Lowes Utilitech comes recommended on design blogs.

KrisM
03-22-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm not a Costco member, but I will try to get the Lowes brand and see how they hold up. We are going to make a list of when we put them in, too, so we know how long they are lasting. The one from December is obvious because it was part of my Christmas present - a new fixture that DH put in after I went to bed. We are sure at least a couple others have not lasted as promised, but many of them are going strong years later. Of course we have a couple incandescent bulbs that are still working well and they came in the house 11.5 years ago.

AnnieW625
03-22-2017, 03:29 PM
We have had good luck with IKEA bulbs.
:yeahthat:

Costco just started carrying Feit in my area, but they aren't exclusive to Costco as I have seen them at Home Depot. I haven't looked at the Costco prices but I love the range of bulbs that IKEA carries.

jam224
03-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Yeah, they were a bust for sure! Do they even sell them anymore?

I'm just super dubious in general because we had a 1 out of 4 failure on LEDs after having a terrible time with the CFLs. This "years and years" of use claim just isn't panning out!

Yes, they do! And it makes me crazy. No one should sell them and no one should buy them, they're so bad! I often wonder if people even know how to dispose of them properly (you're not supposed to put them in the trash). I would love to replace all of the CFLs in our house eventually, but it's not a high priority project right now. We just moved into this house 2 years ago and I get giddy whenever one blows and I can replace it with an LED, haha! So far, so good!

For the record, Lowe's has a bin at the front of the store where you can tie up dead CFLs in a plastic bag to dispose of them responsibly.

NCGrandma
03-22-2017, 07:22 PM
For those of you who use LEDs: do they fit in old, conventional lamps (floor or table) that were designed for incandescent bulbs? I have a few lamps that don't work with the CFLs I've tried because the bulbs have "big shoulders" and don't fit all the way into the socket.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

legaleagle
03-24-2017, 01:15 PM
For those of you who use LEDs: do they fit in old, conventional lamps (floor or table) that were designed for incandescent bulbs? I have a few lamps that don't work with the CFLs I've tried because the bulbs have "big shoulders" and don't fit all the way into the socket.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Yes, for the most part as long as they aren't the type where the shade clips to the bulb itself. The only one we had that wouldn't fit at all was this mini IKEA table lamp.

khm
03-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Yes, they do! And it makes me crazy. No one should sell them and no one should buy them, they're so bad! I often wonder if people even know how to dispose of them properly (you're not supposed to put them in the trash). I would love to replace all of the CFLs in our house eventually, but it's not a high priority project right now. We just moved into this house 2 years ago and I get giddy whenever one blows and I can replace it with an LED, haha! So far, so good!

For the record, Lowe's has a bin at the front of the store where you can tie up dead CFLs in a plastic bag to dispose of them responsibly.

So does Home Depot. I've taken loads of them there....