PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about brussel sprouts

petesgirl
03-21-2017, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty sure I've never had brussel sprouts, so I'm not sure what possessed me to buy some for dinner tonight. I've washed them, chopped off the stems, removed the outer leaves, and cut them in half.
Now what? Im planning to roast them but the recipes I have found through Google have quite a bit of variation in oven temp and time. Does anyone here have a fool-proof Roasting method? I'm planning to just season them with olive oil, salt and lemon pepper.
Also, is it normal for them to keep shedding leaves? They are like onions--the layers just keep peeling off! Do I just throw all those leaves away?

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Handle the gently but yeah, they lose leaves.
Bacon. Bacon is what we like for our Brussels sprouts. If you have any bacon or bacon drippings around, use them instead of olive oil or in addition to. They'll flavor them up right. I only do that, kosher salt and pepper. I do 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alootikki
03-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Don't throw the leaves away! Roast them - they will get extra crispy and are my favorite part! I just toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 degrees until they turn golden brown. You could also add diced bacon...

dylansnan
03-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Don't throw the leaves away! Roast them - they will get extra crispy and are my favorite part! I just toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 degrees until they turn golden brown. You could also add diced bacon...

Yes! The loose leaves the best part!

Twoboos
03-21-2017, 04:49 PM
If not roasting I sauté them in olive oil with s&p, and then drizzle with balsamic reduction. Just did this the other day. mmmmm...

ang79
03-21-2017, 04:51 PM
My girls love roasted brussel sprouts! My mom used to cook them on the stove in a bit of water when I was a kid and they were gross that way, mushy and no flavor. But roasting is much better. I prep them the same way you have and drizzle olive oil and garlic salt on them usually (have also used oil, salt, pepper), then toss in the oven for probably about a half hour (til they are starting to get brown around the edges).

lil_acorn
03-21-2017, 05:11 PM
I roast at 400F for 25-30 minutes.

I also enjoy them shaved - cook up some pancetta then sautee brussel sprouts with olive oil. Add salt/pepper and splash of balsamic vinegar at the end. Yum!

anonomom
03-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Another idea (probably for another day). Shred the sprouts (either thinly slice by hand or put them through your food processor. Saute up a few slices of chopped bacon, then saute a shallot or small onion in the bacon fat. Add the sprouts once the shallot/onion is soft and cook until tender (sometimes I add a splash of water to hurry the process along). When they're cooked, top with the bacon and a generous handful of walnuts.

petesgirl
03-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! I will definitely be trying them out next time. The fact that there will be a next time means that they weren't a total failure tonight, everybody ate some and nobody complained. They didn't have much flavor though, so I'll try something different next time.

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! I will definitely be trying them out next time. The fact that there will be a next time means that they weren't a total failure tonight, everybody ate some and nobody complained. They didn't have much flavor though, so I'll try something different next time.

Bacon. :)

cvanbrunt
03-21-2017, 08:31 PM
This.
http://www.marthastewart.com/1165184/spaghetti-brussels-sprouts-and-bacon?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=msl_829187839

I made this on a whim last week because I had a bag of already sliced/shredded brussels sprouts. The family inhaled it. Fast and easy.

gobadgers
03-21-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm coming around on brussels sprouts, and I find a splash of balsamic vinegar right as they come out of the oven helps them a lot. Lemon juice might do the same thing?

MMMommy
03-21-2017, 10:48 PM
This is one of my fav recipes for brussel sprouts. I sub in bacon for pancetta usually.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/tiffani-thiessen/balsamic-glazed-brussels-sprouts-with-pancetta

petesgirl
03-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Bacon. :)

Totally.

jgenie
03-22-2017, 12:21 AM
I use the recipe from post #6 here.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?388494-Brussel-sprouts-lovers-what-have-you-started!-!-!&highlight=Brussel+sprouts

There are more threads if you search brussel sprouts in titles.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?384762-I-am-addicted-to-Brussels-Sprouts-and-you-can-be-too!&highlight=brussel

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?456943-Post-your-favorite-Brussel-Sprouts-recipe-please!&highlight=Brussel+sprouts

MelissaTC
03-22-2017, 11:24 AM
They are the best! I saute in olive oil, garlic, onions, and pancetta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Heaven!

AnnieW625
03-22-2017, 03:33 PM
I have tried cooking them at home a number of ways postwd here and I still don't like them, but if I go out to a restaurant they taste slightly better and I eat them, but they still are nowhere close to being a favorite of mine.

lizzywednesday
03-23-2017, 09:51 AM
I'm coming around on brussels sprouts, and I find a splash of balsamic vinegar right as they come out of the oven helps them a lot. Lemon juice might do the same thing?

Balsamic and cruciferous vegetables complement each other very well.

Lemon is also good, but the sweetness of the balsamic brings out the sweetness of the roasted sprouts. (It's also great with broccoli, both steamed and roasted.)