PDA

View Full Version : Help me to choose Usborne books for underprivileged children!

Mamma2004
03-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Forgive the odd title; I suddenly have a deadline and wanted to hear your input.

In short, my son founded a non-profit two years ago. We aim to bring "Good clothing, good food, and good fun" to our greater metropolitan area. We serve hundreds of families, most of them through schools in the city. Although only 10 miles away, it is a world entirely different from our own. More on this topic later!

After reading about us in the local paper, a representative from Usborne books offered to do a book drive to benefit our charity. We were successful, raising $500 in two weeks. For this, we'll receive $750 in Usborne books for these students.

We've only ever bought board books from Usborne. Are you able to give ANY suggestions for other books, targeting children ages 3-16? I know it's a long shot, but I'm stumped.

Thanks for any assistance!

Stephanie

Philly Mom
03-21-2017, 10:32 PM
So many good books.
Any Shine a Light.
The Fairy Ponies Series
How this works
Sticker books
Lift the Flap books
Any of the Encyclopedias but Ancient World and World History are both great
A Tale of Two Beasts
Our World
Nibbles
All Better
Billie b Brown series
Hey Jack series
The Story of Inventions
Timelines of World History
Inside the World of Shakespeare
Complete Shakesphere
Clockwork Sparrow
Star of Deltora
Illustrated Stories of Greek Myths

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Mamma2004
03-21-2017, 10:45 PM
Philly Mom, thank you!!! This is an excellent beginning, in part because we can order multiple copies of each book.

Friends, please keep your suggestions coming! I'm so moved by our opportunity to gift these many great books to fantastic kids. Thank you!

Philly Mom
03-21-2017, 10:49 PM
I have so many and can opine on many more. These were just the first ones I thought of. I really love all of our Usborne books and my neighbor has such a large stock because she sells to schools so I get to review a lot.

mikala
03-21-2017, 11:07 PM
My kids also love the Look Inside books. As fair warning they can be delicate if in heavy use but the layers and facts are really well done. We have the airport, body, planet earth, space and my kids love all of them.

Ted and Friends is awesome for pre-k/kids that are learning to read.

You might also ask to see the current specials list because they likely have a few books on sale that would be great for the charity so your money would go even further. I think it varies month to month but I've purchased Look Inside books that way in the past.

jam224
03-21-2017, 11:52 PM
DD is 5, almost 6, and our very favorite Usborne book is the Illustrated Fairy Tales book. Highly recommend!

We also enjoy the "Look Inside" and "See Inside" books. The See Inside "weather" book is particularly fascinating. The "body" is a great one too.

DD is starting to get into the "Beginners" books. Her particular interest is the Horses and Ponies book, but all of the subjects in that series are really well done.

For intermediate and advanced readers, I've heard good things about Penny Dreadful, Hey Jack, and Conspiracy 365.

hillview
03-22-2017, 08:29 AM
my kids love almost any Usbourne book. the reference books (science and history) were huge hits for DS1. They would be great if giving to a school or classroom. They are $$ for a personal book if you have a lot of people to give to. (Not sure how it is structured.).

The books of stories are still big hits for DS2. "Illustrated stores"

The my first reader series were good when the kids were beginning to read

The non fiction young beginners were a hit from 2-3 grade

IansMom
03-22-2017, 10:19 AM
We love the Look Inside and See Inside books. DS received the Science Encyclopedia for Christmas and that one is also a favorite.

AlbrightRC
03-22-2017, 06:28 PM
I don't know a lot about Usbourne and the books they offer but if these are going to be given to black children then please choose books with charecters that look like them

gymnbomb
03-22-2017, 06:59 PM
For the younger end of the range, my 3 year old really likes the Lift the Flap Numbers book.

acmom
03-23-2017, 08:15 AM
I was briefly a consultant. For both my classroom and my own kids, I love these....

Anna Hibiscus - both picture books and chapter books

Hey Jack and Billie B Brown- great beginning chapter book series!

EJ12

Beginners non-fiction series

See Inside and Look Inside series

Tale of Two Beasts

Looks like they have a lot of new titles that might be good options too , including graphic novels that are really popular right now and great for reluctant readers.

carolinacool
03-23-2017, 09:00 AM
I don't know a lot about Usbourne and the books they offer but if these are going to be given to black children then please choose books with charecters that look like them

Absolutely.