PDA

View Full Version : Super slippery wood floors... H E L P !!

toby
03-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Our wood floors are at least 20 years old. I clean them by vacuuming and then occasionally washing with water and a little soap.
Out of the blue, certain areas have become as slippery as an ice rink!

I don't use furniture polish, I have tried cleaning the areas with vinegar and water and I have tried to find help on the internet. I know that there are products that you can put down, but unless I have a first-hand recommendation, I am hesitant to try anything.

Can anyone help, please?!

nfceagles
03-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Have you dusted with pledge nearby? I have had slippery spots from seemingly negligible overspray after dusting nearby furniture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toby
03-22-2017, 03:11 PM
No to pledge/polish!

specialp
03-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Has anyone played with kinetic sand?

toby
03-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Has anyone played with kinetic sand?

No, but good thought. I am wondering if someone brought something (I don't know what!) in on their shoes, but I would think that wiping down with vinegar and water would have helped. I am completely baffled (and scared for our safety!)

specialp
03-22-2017, 05:57 PM
No, but good thought. I am wondering if someone brought something (I don't know what!) in on their shoes, but I would think that wiping down with vinegar and water would have helped. I am completely baffled (and scared for our safety!)

You'd think. When kinetic sand was tracked through my house on the shoe bottoms, vinegar and water and multiple times mopping helped a tiny bit, but we just had to wait it out and slip and slide. I feel you though. It drove me crazy until I figured out what it was.

We used an additive made by Shark Grip to add to the paint for our painted steps. It's not visible but sandy (we added a ton to the paint because it is the steps coming from our mudroom; it might not be as sandy if you add a little.) Not what you want for wood floors, but maybe they make something else or another product to use on wood floors?

trales
03-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Forget vinegar- its a nice weak acid - but it is not a soap and and does not contain a surfactant and it does not work on non-polar things. It won't pull up oils or other things like WD-40, pledge and so on . Dawn dish detergent is a great soap- I would liberally scrub the area with it, keep rinsing till it is clean - that should get off any oils or films.

toby
03-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Forget vinegar- its a nice weak acid - but it is not a soap and and does not contain a surfactant and it does not work on non-polar things. It won't pull up oils or other things like WD-40, pledge and so on . Dawn dish detergent is a great soap- I would liberally scrub the area with it, keep rinsing till it is clean - that should get off any oils or films.

I have wiped down with Dawn and water, but never scrubbed. I am ready to get down to serious business!

Thank you all for your suggestions. My son said he had a miracle cure...take off your socks!