PDA

View Full Version : Low fever and school

ang79
03-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Picked 10 yr. old DD1 up from school yesterday and she said she was so tired she fell asleep in class, so I knew something was wrong as she is a perfectionist, always paying attention to teachers, etc. Got home and took her temp. with a forehead swipe thermometer and it was 100.7. She rested on the couch and had a bit of soup for dinner, but just laid around all night. I checked on her before I went to bed and her temp. was just over 102 so I gave her Tylenol to help her sleep. She also has a cough and some drainage down her throat that makes her throat feel sore in the morning, this has been around all week. Since yesterday she said she has been getting chills. And has been peeing a lot more frequently.

So today she has not slept any extra but just laid on the couch watching movies, reading, etc. Did a small craft this morning. Eating normally, chatting normally. Just checked her temp. with a under tongue thermometer and it was 100.7. Her cheecks are flushed and she says she still has chills. Guessing I should keep her home from school again tomorrow? Trying to figure if I need to call off work, should do it sooner rather than later. I'm thinking its just a virus to work through, but kinda wonder if it could be strep (my girls often don't have a sore throat with strep). At what point to you decide to take them to the doctor? My kids rarely get sick so I'm always a bit thrown off when they do!

SnuggleBuggles
03-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Could she have a UTI?
If she feels ok enough, I'd send to school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anonomom
03-22-2017, 03:23 PM
I think probably no school tomorrow, since she is still feverish and still has symptoms. If by, say, noon tomorrow, she isn't any better than she is today, you can take her in just to rule out strep. Though if you have a hunch she might have it and you have to take off anyway, it might just be worth calling for an appointment tomorrow morning.

georgiegirl
03-22-2017, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't send her. She has a fever (with chills), and kid should be fever free for 24 hours. Generally fevers peak in the late afternoon or evening. I'm a big fan of just getting a strep test since DS1 gets strep often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ang79
03-22-2017, 03:29 PM
Could she have a UTI?
If she feels ok enough, I'd send to school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about that but she said it doesn't hurt when she goes.

o_mom
03-22-2017, 03:57 PM
I would keep her home. Anything over​ 100.4 is a fever.

We recently had a virus that was 3-4 days of fever. More than 3 days of high fever with no sign of improvement would have me take them in (unless other obvious symptoms). This last one was 3 days of high (102-104) fever then a day of 100.5-101. I didn't even consider calling until day 4 at which point they were improving.

rlu
03-22-2017, 04:04 PM
This sounds very much like the respiratory influenza making its rounds at DS's school - he's had it twice. We took him to the doctor the first time and just called the doctor the second time. Both times he was out a week due to recurring temp in the afternoon.

Our school policy is to stay home 24 hours after a high temp subsides.

sadbunny
03-23-2017, 11:39 AM
This sounds very much like the respiratory influenza making its rounds at DS's school - he's had it twice. We took him to the doctor the first time and just called the doctor the second time. Both times he was out a week due to recurring temp in the afternoon.

Our school policy is to stay home 24 hours after a high temp subsides.

Yep-my daughter got the flu type A a few weeks ago and they were the same symptoms. She was sent home due to 100 degree fever and when we took her to the doctor, they confirmed it was the flu (with swabs). She stayed home the following two days, then seemed better on the weekend but then Sun night, had a fever again, so stayed home another two days. She was fine to read but sometimes would take long naps.

ang79
03-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Kept her home today since she still had a fever and chills at bedtime last night. When I called the school to let them know she was still sick they said strep and flu are going around here. No fever since she woke up but cough seems worse and she said she feels weak if she stands much. So she's been laying on her bed reading mostly. They have an inservice day off school tomorrow so I think we'll just take it easy this weekend and hopefully she will be back to normal soon! And hopefully her sister doesn't get it!

vonfirmath
03-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Picked 10 yr. old DD1 up from school yesterday and she said she was so tired she fell asleep in class, so I knew something was wrong as she is a perfectionist, always paying attention to teachers, etc. Got home and took her temp. with a forehead swipe thermometer and it was 100.7. She rested on the couch and had a bit of soup for dinner, but just laid around all night. I checked on her before I went to bed and her temp. was just over 102 so I gave her Tylenol to help her sleep. She also has a cough and some drainage down her throat that makes her throat feel sore in the morning, this has been around all week. Since yesterday she said she has been getting chills. And has been peeing a lot more frequently.

So today she has not slept any extra but just laid on the couch watching movies, reading, etc. Did a small craft this morning. Eating normally, chatting normally. Just checked her temp. with a under tongue thermometer and it was 100.7. Her cheecks are flushed and she says she still has chills. Guessing I should keep her home from school again tomorrow? Trying to figure if I need to call off work, should do it sooner rather than later. I'm thinking its just a virus to work through, but kinda wonder if it could be strep (my girls often don't have a sore throat with strep). At what point to you decide to take them to the doctor? My kids rarely get sick so I'm always a bit thrown off when they do!

Here, they ask you to keep home for a fever of 100.4 or more and 100.7 is over that so I'd keep her home.

sadbunny
03-23-2017, 04:31 PM
On a side note, around when to take them to the doctor. I used to not do that at all (because inevitably the doctor would always say it was a virus, and there was nothing you could do about it). But since the kids are in school now, and they need a doctor's note for absences, I generally take them - also so I can rule out strep. And that's only because my kids are in a lot of activities and I don't want them to go if it is strep.