PDA

View Full Version : Fun light books??

DualvansMommy
03-24-2017, 08:00 PM
I've been following the other thread where lots of pp recommended great books. I've bookmarked, on wait list for some of those books from my library.

Meantime, I have couple of bliss alone time Sunday morning that I love to read easy light hearted book over coffee. Any recommendations? Can be any genre except for history and paranormal type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ray7694
03-24-2017, 08:18 PM
I like Sophia Kinsella books. Her standalone books are my fav

mm123
03-24-2017, 08:24 PM
I've been following the other thread where lots of pp recommended great books. I've bookmarked, on wait list for some of those books from my library.

Meantime, I have couple of bliss alone time Sunday morning that I love to read easy light hearted book over coffee. Any recommendations? Can be any genre except for history and paranormal type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For light reading, I've really enjoyed the Yaya Sisterhood books by Rebecca Wells.
Also enjoyed the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith- fun reading.

SnuggleBuggles
03-24-2017, 08:28 PM
I love Janet Evanovich's Fox and O'Hare series. Mary Kay Andrews is my go to. Especially the ones with Weezy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlu
03-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Jennifer Crusie; Fannie Flagg

Charlie
03-24-2017, 09:24 PM
I love the Stephanie Perkins' books -

Anna and the French Kiss
Lola and the Boy Next Door
Isla and the Happily Ever After

I also like Rainbow Rowell's books. And if you have prime, the Flat Out Love Series.

ett
03-24-2017, 10:18 PM

I just read her new standalone book that came out recently, My Not So Perfect Life. It was much better than the last few I read from her.

StantonHyde
03-25-2017, 12:26 AM
The earlier Stephanie Plum books--One for the Money, etc. Funny as heck and easy stories. I am reading "The Road to Little Dribbling" and laughing away but it's probably too close to home for you :-)

solsister
03-25-2017, 01:32 AM
Ditto:
Janet Evanovich
Mary Kay Andrews

another good one is the
Diane Mott Davidson culinary series, it's really fun, and there are a lot of them.

A very light, longer read, The Royal We is a fun one.
The Rosie Project
Where'd You go, Bernadette?

lizzywednesday
03-25-2017, 04:32 PM
I like Sophia Kinsella books. ...

:yeahthat:

Although I have to say I really enjoyed the Shopaholic books. I've only read one of her stand-alones.

I'm also partial to the Stephanie Plum series (author is Janet Evanovich; first book is One for the Money) and the Heather Wells mysteries (author is Meg Cabot; first book is Size 12 is Not Fat) as well as the Aurora Teagarden books by Charlaine Harris (first one is Real Murders.)

ETA: For laugh-out-loud funny, I like Christopher Moore, but I'll be the first to admit that his sense of humor doesn't tickle everyone's funny bone. The first one of his that I read was A Dirty Job and I laughed so hard, DH had to pretend not to know me.

SnuggleBuggles
03-25-2017, 04:46 PM
I love the Heather Wells books!
Meg Cabot's other books are good too. I like the Queen of Babble series. I read The Princess Diaries too.

Corie
03-25-2017, 04:52 PM
I really like to read cozy mystery books! Very quick reads and very fun.

Here is a website to point you in the right direction. I tend to pick cozy mystery books
with a culinary theme. :)

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

ETA: I really like the Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery Series and the Magical Bakery Mystery series.
I also like the Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series.
I like the Vintage Magic Mysteries series.
And the Lucy Valentine series.

Corie
03-25-2017, 05:02 PM
another good one is the
Diane Mott Davidson culinary series, it's really fun, and there are a lot of them.

Diane Mott Davidson's culinary series (The Goldy Bear Mysteries) is also considered a cozy mystery.

klwa
03-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Cinder. It's a retelling of Cinderella as a cyborg mechanic. 😂 Sounds crazy. Kind of is, but still a fun read!

MSWR0319
03-26-2017, 08:43 AM
I really like to read cozy mystery books! Very quick reads and very fun.

Here is a website to point you in the right direction. I tend to pick cozy mystery books
with a culinary theme. :)

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

ETA: I really like the Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery Series and the Magical Bakery Mystery series.
I also like the Haunted Home Renovation Mystery series.
I like the Vintage Magic Mysteries series.
And the Lucy Valentine series.

I love the Joanne Fluke series! As well as the Janet Evanovich series others have mentioned.

DualvansMommy
03-26-2017, 08:50 PM
OP here, wow! lots of recommendations! Thank you! I started with one of Janet Evanovich books i borrowed from my library this morning, such a great author! wondering how the heck i've missed her! I wrote down others in my notes on my phone, so whenever i get the urge to read more new books, my notes i'll go!

ang79
03-26-2017, 11:38 PM
I get a kick out of Jill Mansell books because of the British terms. Dh knows when I'm reading British Chick Lit because I start trying to talk British.....

fauve01
03-27-2017, 03:05 AM
I like Fannie Flagg or Maeve Binchy for mostly light and easy. Also Sarah Addison Allen (esp Garden Spells) and Jennifer Weiner (the early ones are better than the more recent ones IMO, esp Good in Bed and In Her Shoes).

Last year i really loved The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club.

TwinFoxes
03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
One of the funniest books I've read lately is "The Rosie Project". If you like Sheldon from TBBT, you will really enjoy this. The sequel isn't nearly as good, but this was hilarious.

SnuggleBuggles
03-27-2017, 08:11 AM
I get a kick out of Jill Mansell books because of the British terms. Dh knows when I'm reading British Chick Lit because I start trying to talk British.....

Me too on both the author rec and the British accent. :)

AnnieW625
03-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Rachel Gibson

Danielle Steel (her pre 2000 stuff is pretty good.....I have read Full Circle, Fine Things & Remembrance multiple times....and should've put Remembrance on my list of memorable books)

Nora Roberts (pre mid 2000s is great, and then selected works since....has become very formulatic like Steel)

Love Story by Erich Segal, this is less than 200 pages and an easy read.

I tried reading Sophie Kinsella's most recent Shopaholic book a year or so, and I didn't like it at all and I had loved the Shopholic stories in my late 20s.

AngB
03-27-2017, 08:25 PM
I also love Susan Elizabeth Phillips especially her Stars series.
Alice Clayton 'Wallbanger' is LOL funny.

AnnieW625
03-28-2017, 11:22 AM
I also love Susan Elizabeth Phillips especially her Stars series.
Alice Clayton 'Wallbanger' is LOL funny.

Her Heaven/Denton Tx (Fancy Pants, First Lady, Call Me Irresistible, Glitter Baby.....she has a whole list/tree on her website) books are good too, but I find some of her stand alone books harder to get through. I didn't like her last one about the talking puppets, Heroes Are My Weakness, it is the only book of hers I haven't finished.

I will have to check out Alice Clayton as well. Another friend recommended her.

Corie
04-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Ditto:
Janet Evanovich
Mary Kay Andrews

another good one is the

A very light, longer read, The Royal We is a fun one.
The Rosie Project
Where'd You go, Bernadette?

I found The Royal We at Half Price Books. Just finished it. Fun light book.

I also picked up the first book in Diane Mott Davidson's culinary series. I will start that soon.

solsister
04-04-2017, 11:42 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I hope you love Goldie, in DMD's books. They are silly and light, but fun!

cilantromapuche
04-05-2017, 09:27 AM
I've been loving Jenny Colgan books and it makes me want to reread Rosamunde Pilcher.

lizzywednesday
04-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Cinder. It's a retelling of Cinderella as a cyborg mechanic. 😂 Sounds crazy. Kind of is, but still a fun read!

I bought this for our eldest niece two Christmases ago; it looked like a lot of fun.

MMMommy
04-05-2017, 08:00 PM

I read all Sophie Kinsella's books, and they fit the bill for light and fun. I do like her Shopaholic books too. I just read her latest "My Not So Perfect Life" and enjoyed it.

I also read the "Crazy Rich Asians" (Crazy Rich Asians; China Rich Girlfriend) books a few months ago--interesting and over the top.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Anything by Fannie Flagg!

klwa
04-06-2017, 01:12 PM
I bought this for our eldest niece two Christmases ago; it looked like a lot of fun.

I bought it for my two high school aged nieces after I read it first. :)