PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to tip for carry-out food?

ourbabygirl
03-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Please advise!

Thanks! :)

PZMommy
03-28-2017, 10:18 PM
I typically don't.

JElaineB
03-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Need to? No, but I do sometimes leave a tip at places like coffee shops or ice cream parlors.

carolinacool
03-28-2017, 11:09 PM
I don't. Maybe if I had an especially large or tricky order.

trcy
03-29-2017, 04:29 AM
I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
03-29-2017, 05:13 AM
I don't.

JBaxter
03-29-2017, 06:44 AM
No I never have. I tip delivery and servers.

annex
03-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Previously, no. But in the current political climate, the economic uncertainty of our lowest income workers, losing so many safety nets, etc? Yeah I have been tipping more, and in situations I didn't used to tip. I want to chip in to help our community feel less financial and emotional stress.

candaceb
03-29-2017, 10:02 AM
I do when it's a restaurant that also has table service where waitresses are tipped. I don't if it's a counter service place. This is based on talking with a friend who owns a restaurant. Most of my friends and I frequent the restaurant and often get carry out, and one day we started a discussion on this topic and asked her what was appropriate. She said that if it's a waitress who is getting your order together - picking it up from the window, putting it in bags, adding napkins and condiments, etc., that person is taking away from their other tables at the time. If the hostess takes care of your order, the tip money is given to the kitchen staff.

schrocat
03-29-2017, 10:22 AM
We tip. Not a whole lot for takeout but a couple of dollars. We tip for takeout because we were told by american friends that we were supposed to.

elbenn
03-29-2017, 10:47 AM
We usually tip a very nominal amount (like $1-3 depending on size of order). Basically it's just tipping them for boxing up the order.

elbenn
03-29-2017, 10:48 AM
I do when it's a restaurant that also has table service where waitresses are tipped. I don't if it's a counter service place. This is based on talking with a friend who owns a restaurant. Most of my friends and I frequent the restaurant and often get carry out, and one day we started a discussion on this topic and asked her what was appropriate. She said that if it's a waitress who is getting your order together - picking it up from the window, putting it in bags, adding napkins and condiments, etc., that person is taking away from their other tables at the time. If the hostess takes care of your order, the tip money is given to the kitchen staff.

This makes sense. What does your friend say is the appropriate amount to tip? Obviously, the work involved in getting the order ready is less than if someone is dining in.

MamaSnoo
03-29-2017, 11:17 AM

I have never really *thought* about it, but this is exactly what I do. I tip if it is a place that I could have sat down to eat with wait staff, and usually not for counter service. I do not tip as much for carryout as if I had a sit down meal. Usually 10% carry out, instead of 20-25%.

For counter service, if there is an obvious jar, I usually throw in $1, but in my mind, it hardly counts as a tip.

Corie
03-29-2017, 11:54 AM
I have never really *thought* about it, but this is exactly what I do. I tip if it is a place that I could have sat down to eat with wait staff, and usually not for counter service. I do not tip as much for carryout as if I had a sit down meal. Usually 10% carry out, instead of 20-25%.

For counter service, if there is an obvious jar, I usually throw in $1, but in my mind, it hardly counts as a tip.

This sounds like what we do too.

ourbabygirl
03-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks, Everyone! I was wondering mostly if I should tip when picking up a pizza (carry-out) since there's a tip line on the receipt (I pay beforehand online with a credit card), but you make a great point about tipping if the staff have to put together napkins, etc. and put everything in a bag.

carolinacool
03-29-2017, 12:12 PM
This makes sense. What does your friend say is the appropriate amount to tip? Obviously, the work involved in getting the order ready is less than if someone is dining in.

I worked in a bar and grill my senior year of college. Most people did not tip, but a handful of people would leave a dollar or two (so around 10% back then), which I thought was nice but so not necessary. Throwing some napkins and two packs of ketchup in a bag isn't too vexing. lol

jenmcadams
03-29-2017, 06:58 PM
I do not tip as much for carryout as if I had a sit down meal. Usually 10% carry out, instead of 20-25%.

I do the same

jgenie
03-29-2017, 07:11 PM

Just curious but in which general area do you live? We're just outside NYC and standard is 20% for sit down. Do you tip 25% often? Restaurants and services?

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2017, 08:00 PM
Thanks, Everyone! I was wondering mostly if I should tip when picking up a pizza (carry-out) since there's a tip line on the receipt (I pay beforehand online with a credit card), but you make a great point about tipping if the staff have to put together napkins, etc. and put everything in a bag.

I usually add a dollar on the credit card slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaSnoo
03-29-2017, 11:47 PM
Just curious but in which general area do you live? We're just outside NYC and standard is 20% for sit down. Do you tip 25% often? Restaurants and services?

I live in Atlanta. We go out with our kids about once a week (local, casual places) and a nicer, adult dinner once a month or every other month. I love good service, but we mostly tip 20% (standard for my area) at nicer places (a dinner for 2 in the $100-125 range). I'll tip the gal in the local Mexican tacqueria or burger joint a better percentage because she was kind to my kids, and I know they do not make a ton of money. They work just as hard, but their total receipts are lower than a nicer place.

My husband works nights a lot, and I esp tip >20% if I take my 2 kids out alone. Total bill for our table at our favorite place without dad is <$25. Seems piddly to tip <$5 for that when the waiter's work was just the same as if my DH had been there. I'm also more likely to tip a higher percentage if it is a place where we are "regulars"--and these are usually casual places.

But, standard for my area is 20%; did not intend to imply otherwise.

jgenie
03-30-2017, 06:57 AM
That makes total sense! We do the same at our local BBQ place.

I live in Atlanta. We go out with our kids about once a week (local, casual places) and a nicer, adult dinner once a month or every other month. I love good service, but we mostly tip 20% (standard for my area) at nicer places (a dinner for 2 in the $100-125 range). I'll tip the gal in the local Mexican tacqueria or burger joint a better percentage because she was kind to my kids, and I know they do not make a ton of money. They work just as hard, but their total receipts are lower than a nicer place.

My husband works nights a lot, and I esp tip >20% if I take my 2 kids out alone. Total bill for our table at our favorite place without dad is <$25. Seems piddly to tip <$5 for that when the waiter's work was just the same as if my DH had been there. I'm also more likely to tip a higher percentage if it is a place where we are "regulars"--and these are usually casual places.

But, standard for my area is 20%; did not intend to imply otherwise.

AnnieW625
03-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Nope, but we tip 20% almost always when we eat out. Sometimes we will leave extra change in the tip jar.

HannaAddict
03-31-2017, 10:39 AM
Yes. You can tip less than for full service so $5 is fine, but it takes time to pack up and get things ready.