PDA

View Full Version : Enough food for party

melrose7
03-30-2017, 09:06 AM
So DS party is this weekend. We do a big family party with a few close friends. My family is not good a rsvp-ing and we just moved further away last year. My whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc all live within a 15 mile radius. We just moved 30 miles away which isn't far but we are pretty much in the middle of nowhere now. I know we have at least 22 showing up with 18 more possibilities. Hard to plan food for that many maybes. Every year I worry there isn't enough food-there always is- but here I am worrying again. This is what is planned (part starts at 4:00)
Before dinner
Taco dip
Veggies
Crackers/sausage/cheese
Licorice/M&Ms/Swedish fish/jelly beans
Deviled eggs
Popcorn
Potato chips

Dinner
8lb boneless ham-DH will smoke
9lbs of pork butt that I'm making kalua pork
I'm worried I don't have enough meat
Pasta salad
Fruit salad
Green salad
Garlic mashed potatoes

Cake and dessert after dinner

Party usually goes from 4:00-10-11ish

Should I go get another ham?

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2017, 09:11 AM
In your experience, do the main dishes get devoured? We, like you, always have a lot of appetizers and people fill up before the main dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
03-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Are the 5 of you included in the 22 definite yes's?

melrose7
03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
In your experience, do the main dishes get devoured? We, like you, always have a lot of appetizers and people fill up before the main dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, people do fill up before dinner is served. Those that arrive on time at least. We try for dinner around 6-6:30

melrose7
03-30-2017, 10:11 AM
Are the 5 of you included in the 22 definite yes's?

I included myself and DH but not the kids. Also didn't include kids under 10 (there will be about 5 others beside mine) cause there aren't big eaters. At least meat eaters