PDA

View Full Version : My sister is having an anxiety crisis

bisous
03-30-2017, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure what that would be called? A panic attack? But it seems generalized rather than event specific. My sister has been diagnosed with anxiety. She was on medication for a few years after years of not wanting to do anything medical. She made great progress and then she gradually weaned herself off meds. She was good for about a year but she's seen a gradual decline into unhappiness and stress and it is starting to boil over. It is alarming to me to see the stress she puts on herself. She's so self critical and doesn't see things clearly at all. She lives across the country from me but I'm really worried about her.

Any words of advice are appreciated but also any prayers or positive thoughts!

Please let me know what I can do!

rin
03-30-2017, 02:18 PM
I would try to make it clear that you're there to listen if she wants to talk just as a sister, but it sounds like she might need more support than that. Does she have a therapist/someone she talks to regularly? I assume someone had to give her the prescription she used to be on. I'd encourage her to make an appointment to see that person again (or a new person if she no longer has that relationship or wants to see him/her again) and to ask about going back on medication.

JElaineB
03-30-2017, 03:07 PM
She needs to see a therapist and a psychiatrist. There is only so much you can do. Anxiety is VERY common, and nothing to be ashamed of. It is a medical issue and she needs to treat it as such.

bisous
03-30-2017, 03:35 PM
I would try to make it clear that you're there to listen if she wants to talk just as a sister, but it sounds like she might need more support than that. Does she have a therapist/someone she talks to regularly? I assume someone had to give her the prescription she used to be on. I'd encourage her to make an appointment to see that person again (or a new person if she no longer has that relationship or wants to see him/her again) and to ask about going back on medication.

Ok. I can talk like a sister. She does have a therapist. She started crying yesterday and saying she hates that she might have to go back on medication. I told her maybe therapy would be enough but she said therapy is awful for her. I guess I was really, really surprised by that. That's not been my experience at all. She said talking about her experience is terribly painful. She's moving this weekend, which is a positive and happy change but I think she feels like she can't do anything until she gets that taken care of it.

bisous
03-30-2017, 03:37 PM
She needs to see a therapist and a psychiatrist. There is only so much you can do. Anxiety is VERY common, and nothing to be ashamed of. It is a medical issue and she needs to treat it as such.

I know she has these. I am trying to convince her that it will do her a lot of good. She's in this spiral of really warped way of thinking. I wish I could hold her hand while she calls her medical people but I'm too far away. I think I'll call her today and just encourage her to make an appointment.

Pear
03-30-2017, 05:29 PM
i would remind her that no one faults people for needing blood pressure meds or insulin.

My anti anxiety meds have changed my life. If she wasn't happy on her last med, she should ask the doctor about trying something else.

div_0305
03-30-2017, 05:40 PM
She probably needs meds. It doesn't sound like she's having a panic attack--from what I've seen, those are usually short lived and very, very intense. Her anxiety is not being controlled by current measures. Maybe she needs to learn new coping mechanisms and biofeedback?

bisous
03-30-2017, 05:52 PM
i would remind her that no one faults people for needing blood pressure meds or insulin.

My anti anxiety meds have changed my life. If she wasn't happy on her last med, she should ask the doctor about trying something else.

She had great results on the meds but she doesn't want to go back on them. Right now that's a sign of failure for her but really its just another way that she isn't thinking rationally.

bisous
03-30-2017, 05:53 PM
She probably needs meds. It doesn't sound like she's having a panic attack--from what I've seen, those are usually short lived and very, very intense. Her anxiety is not being controlled by current measures. Maybe she needs to learn new coping mechanisms and biofeedback?

I will mention biofeedback. I haven't heard much about this for anxiety.

pinkmomagain
03-30-2017, 08:22 PM
Any help in having her see that medication is okay (no shame or weakness) and in fact has been super helpful in the past would be good. I also wanted to mention that a move, even a good one, brings a lot of stress which can really exacerbate the anxiety. Also, eventually finding a new therapist who maybe uses a different modality would be a good idea in the future.

bisous
03-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Any help in having her see that medication is okay (no shame or weakness) and in fact has been super helpful in the past would be good. I also wanted to mention that a move, even a good one, brings a lot of stress which can really exacerbate the anxiety. Also, eventually finding a new therapist who maybe uses a different modality would be a good idea in the future.

Ok thanks! I wondered if it was at all typical to not enjoy therapy. I always thought that patients liked it. Is it unusual to find therapy painful and stressful? I hadn't heard it before but I have very little personal experience and people just don't seem to talk about this stuff.

pinkmomagain
03-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Ok thanks! I wondered if it was at all typical to not enjoy therapy. I always thought that patients liked it. Is it unusual to find therapy painful and stressful? I hadn't heard it before but I have very little personal experience and people just don't seem to talk about this stuff.

Therapy can be difficult at times. Talking about painful feelings or events can be tough for some. But overall it should feel helpful, validating, and safe. Sometimes a therapist could be using a modality that is just not a good fit for a person for whatever reason. It's okay to give a therapist feedback on how the therapy is feeling. The therapist may adjust his/her approach or possibly refer out to another therapist or explain why she is doing what she is doing.

liz
03-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Hugs to you and your sister. I found great relief in talking to a therapist. Granted, it was incredibly emotional and difficult to talk about my stressors, so maybe that is what your sister is talking about? Ultimately, I needed to talk to someone to help put things into perspective and see that I needed to deal with things differently.

A new therapist might be helpful for your sister. A good friend of mine changed therapists once or twice before finding someone that clicked. I hope your sister will agree to meds, esp since it seemed to help in the past. It sounds like she's in a crisis and meds can help reign things in. Remind her that meds don't need to be forever, just for the "now" to help her cope better. Sending P&PT. Anxiety and panic attacks are terrible.