PDA

View Full Version : Is this too "extra?"

megs4413
03-31-2017, 02:13 PM
I've been fostering two puppies for the last 5 or so weeks. They will be heading to their furever families next week and i'm thinking about typing up little info sheets for each of them to give to their families so that they transition well. This is my first time fostering and the rescue is very laidback in terms of not having a set procedure for how the handoff works. I was thinking of including just brief information like the vet's contact info that has been seeing them, what their eat/play/sleep schedule is like right now, stuff like that. Do you think that will come off as too much? like pushy or overbearing? I trust that these families can care for these dogs, but if it were me, i'd rather have some of that info that might make it easier for just the initial transition period. WDYT? TIA!

trcy
03-31-2017, 02:18 PM
I think that would be an awesome thing to do! I am sure the new families would appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

reneed
03-31-2017, 02:21 PM
I think that's an awesome idea too!!!

TwinFoxes
03-31-2017, 02:38 PM
I think that's a great idea.

rlu
03-31-2017, 02:50 PM
I think it is sweet. I would include the exact food brand they have been eating and if they have play preferences (either of them ball-obsessed or tear stuffies apart).

babyonway
03-31-2017, 03:22 PM
That is a wonderful idea! Getting a new animal requires a lot of changes and you giving them your insight is SOOO nice and I am sure will be very appreciated.

SnuggleBuggles
03-31-2017, 03:54 PM
I'd love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newnana
03-31-2017, 04:08 PM
I'd love it!

Pear
03-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Our most recent cat came with a note from the foster parent along with an art project she had done with the cat. I loved it.

essnce629
03-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Sounds great to me! I would have loved something like that when we adopted our cat!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

elbenn
03-31-2017, 04:59 PM
I will echo everyone else and say I think it's a great idea. It's not pushy, but if they think it is, they can toss it. I bet, though, that they'll really appreciate it.

ChicagoNDMom
03-31-2017, 06:35 PM
You win the foster award of the year! I am a dog lover and this is not only kind/thoughtful but also is important for a healthy transition (especially related to food brand/amount of food).

lalasmama
03-31-2017, 08:34 PM
Love the idea!

I'd make it a "quick" questionnaire, so that the super-important info ("pukes up Kibbles-N-Bits," or "decapitates stuffies," or "watch for his high jump when he gets excited," along with current food, and any potty things) is up top, and the less important things ("pink blankey on the south side of the kennel with squeaky alligator on north side of kennel for day time, but east/west for night time," etc) near the bottom, so all the info is there, but they can decide how much to read.

Kindra178
03-31-2017, 10:14 PM
Having rescued two dogs, I would have loved that! Rescues/foster families should be encouraged to do this. Having volunteered with rescues for 17 years, rescues don't want to do this because they don't want step on toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
03-31-2017, 11:23 PM
You win the foster award of the year! I am a dog lover and this is not only kind/thoughtful but also is important for a healthy transition (especially related to food brand/amount of food).

Yes! We rescued our 2 boxers from an organization when they were young, that I would have LOvED to get information like you're doing for the forever families! Not overdoing or pushy at all. For us, we did get the obvious info like food brands, vet info, but beyond that not so much. I would include things what typically comfort each puppy whenever they're frightened, poorly, and the like. We didn't know that our boxers LOvED to sleep together for comfort, that we worked hard on separating them at bedtime. In highlight, after several months having them, we finally figured out they preferred a big extra large dog bed so they could snuggle together every night! We did that once it was figured and boom, sleep nights went away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rlu
04-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Yes! We rescued our 2 boxers from an organization when they were young, that I would have LOvED to get information like you're doing for the forever families! Not overdoing or pushy at all. For us, we did get the obvious info like food brands, vet info, but beyond that not so much. I would include things what typically comfort each puppy whenever they're frightened, poorly, and the like. We didn't know that our boxers LOvED to sleep together for comfort, that we worked hard on separating them at bedtime. In highlight, after several months having them, we finally figured out they preferred a big extra large dog bed so they could snuggle together every night! We did that once it was figured and boom, sleep nights went away!Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aw, LGD and BBD slept on the same bed too, even when they outgrew one, they slept half-on half-off.

doberbrat
04-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I'd also say that if you have any cute pics of them in the earlier days, that you could send them too. I've always wondered what my dogs looked like as puppies.

California
04-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Our dog's former foster family prepared a page for us and we very much appreciated it. It was in a folder with vet info, vaccine and spay certificates, and the original photos they took of her when she was rescued (that folder was prepared by the main rescue adoption coordinator, and the foster family added one page to it.) We now foster for a small animal rescue and I make up a half page too, with background info, food likes/dislikes & feeding routine, and a couple of things that are special to that animal.

All foster groups have animals returned to them because the new owner didn't realize how much work the pet would be. Our rescue has a big contract (yours may very well have one too), and I feel like my half sheet is just a little extra reminder both of the adorableness and that there's care and attention required too.

mackmama
04-01-2017, 04:06 PM
I have a lot of experience with dogs... and I would LOVE this information. I also think it will assist in getting them adopted.

HannaAddict
04-02-2017, 04:05 PM
I would love it too. Thanks for fostering!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk