PDA

View Full Version : The Great British Baking Show...

Corie
03-31-2017, 06:31 PM
My daughter and I are watching The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. I will say that I love
the British version much better than the American version. The British seem like nicer people too.
Deborah just used Howard's custard by mistake and Howard didn't even bat an eye. Even the announcer
just laughed about it. If that happened on the American version, Deborah probably would have been
kicked off the show!

I have some questions and comments.

1. What is up with British people and their teeth? I'm just surprised at all the crooked teeth.

2. I love Mary! She's so nice I love the 2 announcers/hosts! Very funny! And I think Paul is super sexy!! Hubba hubba

3. I love all the British slang! Gobsmacked, fiddly, squidgey, etc. What are your favorite words?

gatorsmom
03-31-2017, 07:36 PM
Dd is addicted to it. And we have done marathons watching just that show. Our favorite cook is Nadya. I can't remember what season she is in. Her facial expressions are hilarious. But she is very, very knowledgable and so creative. And dd's favorite cooks are Ruby and Martha, the younger girls. Ruby is funny because she is always shocked when she has done something Mary and Paul like. Have you gotten to Salty (our name for him), the guy put salt in his cake instead of sugar?

Dd (who is 9yo) has watched every episode on Netflix several times. She knows the difference between an Italian meringue, French and Swiss meringues. She knows the difference between a Battenberg cake and a Victoria sandwich and how to make them. She asks me all the time when we are going to make a Spanish Windtorte! So 2 nights ago I promised we could start out making a few simple things and we made chocolate mousse. She immediately told me I wasn't doing the Bain Marie correctly and that I overwhipped the egg whites. Tonight we are making meringue cookies and I'm dreading it a little.

We think Mel and Sue are funny too how they are always eating everyone's ingredients. I would much rather watch the British version than the American one. I suspect the Americans would be too competitive and catty. :(

niccig
03-31-2017, 07:56 PM
Orthodontic work isn't as common. My 2 sisters had braces, I didn't as have 1 crooked teeth on bottom (its pushed back a little and I have to be careful to floss around it) but dentist said no other issues so I didn't have braces. I've been asked here in USA by dentists if I want to fix my crooked teeth. My current dentist rolled her eyes when I told her saying it's 1 tooth and not causing any issues, but yes it's not a perfect smile.

I also think it's generational. DS has orthodontic work for overbite as it will cause issues later in life with gums receding behind top teeth as bottom teeth hit the gum. My dentist said to fix it now as she has patients my age and older who had issues from it. But when we were young, less orthodontic work was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
03-31-2017, 08:17 PM
Orthodontic work isn't as common. My 2 sisters had braces, I didn't as have 1 crooked teeth on bottom (its pushed back a little and I have to be careful to floss around it) but dentist said no other issues so I didn't have braces. I've been asked here in USA by dentists if I want to fix my crooked teeth. My current dentist rolled her eyes when I told her saying it's 1 tooth and not causing any issues, but yes it's not a perfect smile.

I also think it's generational. DS has orthodontic work for overbite as it will cause issues later in life with gums receding behind top teeth as bottom teeth hit the gum. My dentist said to fix it now as she has patients my age and older who had issues from it. But when we were young, less orthodontic work was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

Love the show too! The slang reminds me so much growing up, so I get laughs from that!

[emoji106] to what Niccig said about orthodontic work, it just isn't a "necessity" unless really really bad teeth. But few crooked teeth? Nope. Not sure about now as have to ask my mom friends back home, but have noticed few of their kids getting braces and other work done. Could be more likely generational thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bcafe
03-31-2017, 10:21 PM
I have watched all three seasons and anticipate their masters series in April. "Scrummy"

StantonHyde
04-01-2017, 12:29 AM
DD and I are ADDICTED to this show!!!!! The poor salt guy....I loved Howard. And Glenn. We both loved Nadya--she reminds DD and I of me because of her facial expressions--I am just like that. (except that I am 5'10", blonde, blue eyes) I would LOVE to meet her--just to talk about how people react to us because of our expressions!! I liked Becca a lot--her Welsh recipes. Ruby was sweet but I wanted to smack her upside the head for always being so apologetic. I liked Kim--what a smile and she was confident in a nice way. We are taking a break--we need to watch Season 1 still! (skipped ahead to 2 and 3 for some reason)

Mary and Paul are both a delight--are their eyes REALLY that blue?? (say the woman who had blue contacts at one point...) Mel and Sue are marvelous. Just awesome. LOVE them. Favorite words--scrummy. I can't believe that the bakers don't swear!!! I would have to be edited out like you would not believe. yeesh.

As for teeth-the Brits have always had bad teeth (per American standards). Unless your teeth cause some great malady, they aren't corrected. It's not a bad model to follow really. It would save LOTS of money!!!

Thank GOODNESS DD is not insisting that we actually MAKE these creations. I can only imagine how bad my "cream pat" would be.

Corie
04-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Another part of the show I find interesting is that the bakers go home on the weekend. Kimberley said that she didn't get a discounted
train ticket home for the weekend even though she was the "Star Baker". LOL And Glenn said that he didn't have time to practice over
the weekend because he was grading papers.

In the US, the contestants are always sequestered during a reality competition show so that we, the viewers, don't know the winners/losers
ahead of time.

legaleagle
04-01-2017, 03:35 PM
I think it's the competition that's on the weekends and they go home during the week? Presumably to do work/school/etc.

Corie
04-01-2017, 03:50 PM
I think it's the competition that's on the weekends and they go home during the week? Presumably to do work/school/etc.

You're probably right!! That makes more sense because of Glenn and grading papers.

Corie
04-01-2017, 03:54 PM
I do love how when one baker gets kicked off and they all act like their best friend is leaving. So many hugs & kisses
all around. They are all genuinely sad when someone leaves.

I think I need to move to England. I just love everyone I've seen on the show. So far, there haven't been any jerks.

scrooks
04-01-2017, 06:35 PM
I'm obsessed with this show too! I'm only midway through season 2. Dh comments about their teeth every time I watch!

Corie
04-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Ruby was sweet but I wanted to smack her upside the head for always being so apologetic.

Yes, her poor pitiful me attitude is wearing on me. I feel like she has Paul & Mary brainwashed now and they coddle her.

I feel like Paul and Mary are unfair to Frances with their continuous comments about doing style over substance. Then they
give high marks to other bakers for their fantastic originality. It really aggravates me.

gatorsmom
04-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Yes, her poor pitiful me attitude is wearing on me. I feel like she has Paul & Mary brainwashed now and they coddle her.

I feel like Paul and Mary are unfair to Frances with their continuous comments about doing style over substance. Then they
give high marks to other bakers for their fantastic originality. It really aggravates me.

Keep watching. They will become nicer to her. :) Frances does some amazing stuff, doesn't she?

I felt bad for Norman, the older gentlemen who Paul and Mary complain is too plain. In one episode he had a pie that completely gushed out the sides because it wasn't set and when Martha's did the same thing they didn't fault her for it. But Norman's flavors are consistently good. It's kinda sad if he walks away from this show thinking his food isn't good enough because he doesn't do a lot of decorative things.

Ive watched this show WAY too much. :rotflmao:

cairo06
04-02-2017, 10:32 PM
This is one of the few shows that our whole family likes to watch together. I watch a lot of this type of show on the BBC, because I can't stand the fake drama on the American shows. Unfortunately, the BBC couldn't reach an agreement with the shows production company ($$$) for the next season so the show is moving to Channel 4. Mary, Mel, and Sue will not make the move, only Paul. It was a big controversy when it was announced back in September. Nadiya will be the host of a replacement bake off show on the BBC. I hope that it will be as successful as the original, but I can't imagine that the chemistry will be the same between the hosts and judges. There was a spin off show every week after the Bake Off episode called "An Extra Slice" where they rehashed the previous episode and had the person voted out on the show. It was really funny, so I guess that will be gone too.

div_0305
04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Do I really live under a rock? Never heard of the show or the American version--and here I clicked this thread and see all these rave reviews. Where do you all find out about these shows? I never surf Netflix or Hulu--just watch what others suggest to me. TV time is limited for me so I'm always behind a season or more.

Corie
04-04-2017, 03:38 PM
Do I really live under a rock? Never heard of the show or the American version--and here I clicked this thread and see all these rave reviews. Where do you all find out about these shows? I never surf Netflix or Hulu--just watch what others suggest to me. TV time is limited for me so I'm always behind a season or more.

I watch a lot of HGTV and the Food Network. I probably saw it advertised during one of my HGTV shows. I watched the American version of the Baking
Show. Mary Berry was a judge and I love her. I didn't like the 2 announcers. They are husband and wife. Nia Vardalos and Ian Gomez. She wrote and starred in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I wasn't a fan of them. Found them annoying. I liked the American version and then found the original British show.

The British Baking Show is so much better!!! I just love watching it. I love Mary and Paul, the judges and I love Mel and Sue, the hosts. I just started
Episode 1 of Season 3 last night.

I think only the first 3 seasons are on Netflix.