PDA

View Full Version : Ice hockey safety for kids?

diamond
04-08-2017, 12:19 PM
my 5yo DS is interested in ice hockey, how safe is it? specially compared to football etc..

JBaxter
04-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Its about the same actually. Where we lived with my older 2 it was either Football or Hockey

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2017, 01:10 PM
Safety wise, comparable to football probably. Lots of equipment costs and early, early ice times. You have to really think if that's a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen
04-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Football is more dangerous. Hockey is definitely up there though, so you have to know what you can handle. I have a pretty high threshold for worry. Football crosses my personal line where I don't think the benefits outweigh the risks, hockey does not. The benefits of hockey have far outweighed the risks. Where hockey stands statistically depends on what info you can find

They don't rank here

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/five-most-dangerous-sports-for-boys/

But they do here

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/health/medical-costs/most-dangerous-sports-for-children/

You can find more and see how you feel. The friendships, teamwork, conditioning, overall athleticism, balance, dedication, hardwork...everything my kids have gained from hockey is so worth it. We have had one injury...my 12 year old was checked (illegal at his age) and then the kid kicked him while he was down. The other kid was suspended and we followed concussion protocol, but the doctor felt he did not have a concussion as he only had a headache right after. He had a more serious injury...little league shoulder, a tear in his growth plate, from baseball, which is generally a safer sport (but not at all a good sport for overall conditioning...it's very little actual exercise)

div_0305
04-08-2017, 05:22 PM
We are an ice hockey and lacrosse family. I would not let my son play tackle football. The comment above about the benefits of hockey--ITA, and feel the same about lacrosse. I was ignorant about hockey when my son expressed interest at 5. So he waited until he was 8. Oh well! He doesn't hold that over me too much anymore.

mom2binsd
04-08-2017, 06:01 PM
My son plays travel hockey, he just turned 11. He's been on skates since age 2, but many kids start later and do great! Age 5 is the perfect time.

Actually some cities are running this amazing program with USA hockey, for about 100 dollars, kids who have never played before get 6 weeks of instruction and ALL the equipment they need, all brand new. The kids locally here got some nice Bauer equipment, worth probably 400.00 and they get 6 weeks of hockey.

Check to see if there is something like that around you.

Even something like The Minor Hawks program that is run in Illinois, again very low cost for kids who have never played. Ask at your nearest rink what they offer. It's most important that he learn how to skate, that is the foundation to hockey. Take him to as many open/public skating sessions as you can.

We have not had a ton of early morning practices, but it happens, just like any sport (except there are no rain outs, bugs, humidity in the rink).

Injury wise, he has never had an injury, my daughter who swims does track has managed have multiple non sport related injuries (break an arm, broke two fingers, torn achilles (from tripping while walking).

They do not allow "checking" in hockey until age 13/14 (although there is contact but not to the extent there is in football), whereas in football they tackle around age 8/9.

Statistically, football and cheerleading are the major "injury" prone sports for kids.

I know far more high school kids with injuries than I do high school age hockey players (who are on the ice way more than football players are on the field.).

Get him proper fitting equipment (especially skates/helmet) and make sure he has good skating instruction to start out.

Depending on where you are I can recommend good places to get equipment (I'm in IL). Nothing wrong with used skates (just make sure they fit properly), we get ours in Canada at play it again sports, but some hockey organizations have used equipment sales. I'd buy a new helmet/cage and make sure they fit it properly.

My daughter is starting hockey this year as a goalie, we are a HOCKEY FAMILY!!! I play as well (started at age 48).

I can't say enough about the wonderful memories we have being a hockey family!

Also, from a "lingo" perspective, unless you live in a place where they play field hockey (like India/England), it's just hockey (I hate when NBC during the OLympics calls it Ice hockey, like there is another kind of hockey being played).

ray7694
04-08-2017, 06:12 PM
My ds has played since he was 5 and never been injured or even close. They can't hit until the age of 13 which is a lot different then football. He loves hockey. It is a fast paced fun sport. I would say my ds cheerleading is not as safe.

NCGrandma
04-08-2017, 06:48 PM
!

Also, from a "lingo" perspective, unless you live in a place where they play field hockey (like India/England), it's just hockey (I hate when NBC during the OLympics calls it Ice hockey, like there is another kind of hockey being played).

India, England ... and New England private schools [emoji6] My 6th grade DGD1 started field hockey this year, and it's clearly a big deal in their area.

ETA: and sailing! Probably a bigger deal than field hockey.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

cuca_
04-08-2017, 07:58 PM
India, England ... and New England private schools [emoji6] My 6th grade DGD1 started field hockey this year, and it's clearly a big deal in their area.

ETA: and sailing! Probably a bigger deal than field hockey.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I think she meant men's field hockey. Girls field hockey is popular all over. I'm in the Midwest and it is a big deal here too!

lizzywednesday
04-09-2017, 12:13 PM
India, England ... and New England private schools [emoji6] My 6th grade DGD1 started field hockey this year, and it's clearly a big deal in their area. ...

New Jersey's not generally considered to be part of New England and we have field hockey programs run by both town recreation leagues and public schools. It's a growing sport here, though I think youth soccer still reigns supreme, followed by lacrosse, but a lot of this will vary by area and socioeconomic status.

The elder of our two local nieces plays field hockey now (high school level) and I played myself as a freshman. Both of us switched after many years of playing soccer and we attend(ed) public high schools; she will likely continue, while I did not.

AnnieW625
04-10-2017, 12:06 PM
We are looking into this for DD2 who is almost 7. She is learning to skate now. I figure I don't have much to worry about until high school at least, but also I think checking and hits start later with girls and I figure as long as she wears a mouth guard and a full face mask (which women do in all leagues, even Olympic and pro leagues) if she is enjoying it and learning correct techniques she will be fine.

I don't know much but I know that boys wear full face masks now until they make the pros so that could be some relief plus I think most wear mouth guards. I have just started watching high school age games while DD2 is at skating lessons and it has been fun to watch.

Injury wise my Dd1 broke her left tib-fib when she was 6 (1st grade) while playing soccer in PE (she slipped on wet grass while trying to score a goal and then a classmate fell on her as she slipped) and then she broke her arm at 8 while playing on a zipline at a park when she fell wrong as she jumped off (again at school on a field trip). She did ballet from 3-5, and then started again at age 8 and other than some slight ankle pain (which she uses kinesiology tape to manage) hasn't been injured in playing sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk