PDA

View Full Version : Spring break- strep?

mackmama
04-08-2017, 02:49 PM
First day of spring break, and DC woke up sick. :(

How do you decide whether to bring your DC in to pedi to check for strep? DC complained of sore throat last night right before bed. We thought and hoped DC was just super tired. This morning says nothing hurts but low energy and now has a minor fever of 100.1 and just wants to be in bed which always means sick.

When do we bring to pedi vs just waiting and seeing? DC is 6yo

SnuggleBuggles
04-08-2017, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't consider it with such a low fever and, what sounds like, a not terrible sore throats. Wait and see at least until tomorrow. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
04-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Ok thx!

jgenie
04-08-2017, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't take her in with those symptoms. A little down time this weekend and she'll hopefully be back to normal soon.

jren
04-08-2017, 04:36 PM
We took DS in the morning after he showed first symptoms of strep. No sore throat but a low fever and rash. It was Scarlet Fever and they were able to give him the antibiotic shot. He was back in action the next day. Saved our vacation to Disney. I always take in at the slightest thing when we have vacation coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
04-08-2017, 04:49 PM
The last 3 times DD has had strep, it's presented differently.

The first time (March 2016), she had been sent home from school early, had her throat cultured (rapid test was negative), then the next morning had the scarlet fever rash, which prompted the follow-up call to the pediatrician. (Doc who saw us felt that no culture was needed because she presented with scarlet fever rash.)

She had it again in January (2017), was sent home early from school Friday but didn't complain at all about her throat until the Monday of a holiday weekend. I didn't check her for fever, but noted she wasn't feeling like herself although she ate normally. When she wasn't eating or acting like herself, that's when I called.

This last time (February 2017), she complained of a sore throat the entire time and I could literally feel the BTUs she was putting out. Her temp at bedtime registered fairly high on our (ear) thermometer, which made me wonder if I'd used it incorrectly. I gave her ibuprofen to get her to sleep (pediatrician's office closed & didn't want to go to ER for what should be an in-office visit) but kept her home from school the next day so we could go to the doctor.

I'm usually fine with a wait-and-see approach to save a copay. If your pediatrician's office has a nurse's line or something like that, maybe you could talk it through with them before making a final call? I've been known to do that myself, too.

georgiegirl
04-08-2017, 04:51 PM
DS1 has had strep many times and his presentation is always high fever plus zero other symptoms. He has complained about a sore throat a few times AFTER diagnosis, but not always.

smilequeen
04-08-2017, 04:53 PM
If you think she has been exposed, take her. If not, it sounds more like a virus but strep can be different for everyone. It's been going around. My 12 year old had it and I've had it twice.

doberbrat
04-08-2017, 05:37 PM
dd2 came home last friday saying 2 kids had gone home sick that day. that night her fever hit 104. She said her throat and tummy hurt. I asked 1 mom if her kid had strep and she said no. Sun my mommy gut said strep. On Call doc was skeptical - I was right.... AND she also had the flu!. 3 days home being pumped full of EmergenC, elderberry tabs and antibiotics an she was back at school on Th.

PZMommy
04-08-2017, 06:11 PM
My boys have never had a sore throats with strep. They present with a sudden high fever (103), and lethargic, often times they vomit.

I'd keep an eye on her/him, and if the fever gets Hughes, then take them to an urgent care in the morning. It isn't something I would go to the ER for in the middle of the night.

mackmama
04-08-2017, 06:11 PM
OP here -
DC has had strep once before - complained of a stomach ache and had a fever of 103. No sore throat. That time we also had a known exposure.

This time we have no known exposure, the fever hasn't gone above 100.1, no complaints of sore throat since yesterday evening, and no other specific complaints except "I don't feel well."

PZMommy
04-08-2017, 06:12 PM
OP here -
DC has had strep once before - complained of a stomach ache and had a fever of 103. No sore throat. That time we also had a known exposure.

This time we have no known exposure, the fever hasn't gone above 100.1, no complaints of sore throat since yesterday evening, and no other specific complaints except "I don't feel well."

My guess is just a random virus that is going around.

mackmama
04-08-2017, 06:14 PM
My guess is just a random virus that is going around.

Yeh that's my gut too. When DC had strep before, my gut said strep even though DH insisted it couldn't be because there was no sore throat. (When I get strep, I get horrific stomach pains and never a sore throat). Anyway - sounds like I will wait and see. Just a bummer for DC to be sick on spring break. We are able to push back our travel plans, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks all.

scrooks
04-08-2017, 07:29 PM
My kids get strep often so I always err on the side of taking them. It's a $20 copay for some piece of mind. That being said ds1 complained of a sore throats last weekend but seemed ok. Fast forward to last night he didn't eat his dinner (his favorite) and complained of being full. He tested positive for strep this morning. Since I had the other 2 with me I had them swabbed too and I was pleasantly surprised they were negative (dd usually gets strep if she looks at someone with strep!)

I guess I go overboard but I am typically right 75% of the time.

Kindra178
04-08-2017, 08:27 PM
For 100.1 (not a fever) I would not bring in. Maybe Monday or Tuesday if fever goes higher. I suspect fever will get higher before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)