PDA

View Full Version : DS2 gagging

hillview
04-08-2017, 07:58 PM
DS2 has been eating something and then after chewing it having a sudden need to gag it out. He says he is throwing up but I think it's more of a gag reflex issue. He isn't choking. So so far it's been somewhat random and all things he "always" eats. An English muffin with peanut butter (several times at breakfast) and tonight a burrito. This has been maybe every 3-5 days. So far I've been under reacting and ignoring it. Help? Ideas?

eta DS2 is 9 and not had an eating issue in the past. He is quirky and anxious and has had other issues

ArizonaGirl
04-08-2017, 08:07 PM
We have something similar with out DS, he is 8.

He gets it worst when we are at a restaurant.

I think it's is more of a mental thing for him in that once he threw up at a restaurant and now almost psychs himself out, IYKWIM.

He has always been sensitive to gag though.

If it smells bad, he will gag.

If someone else gags, he will gag, etc.

He can't pick up dog poop for this reason.

We try to avoid things I know will set him off and we can tell when it's coming and will try and shut it down, bring him out of the cycle.

DualvansMommy
04-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Is it possible ds2 is eating fast? DS1 gets like that sometimes, and feels the urge to gag it out whenever he feels overly stuffed inside his mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hillview
04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Is it possible ds2 is eating fast? DS1 gets like that sometimes, and feels the urge to gag it out whenever he feels overly stuffed inside his mouth.

Yes this is possible. How do you help him? It's so episodic and random.

DualvansMommy
04-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Yes this is possible. How do you help him? It's so episodic and random.

He usually "eats" fast when he's ravenous, so I try to not let him be at that point in huger by time dinner is ready. That means he needs to have his snack an hour prior mealtimes, the other thing we do is count internally up to 5 before his next bite. Or I try to engage him in conversation with myself talking, cuz by actively listening to me he's already slowing his chewing.

o_mom
04-08-2017, 09:49 PM
DS2 has been eating something and then after chewing it having a sudden need to gag it out. He says he is throwing up but I think it's more of a gag reflex issue. He isn't choking. So so far it's been somewhat random and all things he "always" eats. An English muffin with peanut butter (several times at breakfast) and tonight a burrito. This has been maybe every 3-5 days. So far I've been under reacting and ignoring it. Help? Ideas?

eta DS2 is 9 and not had an eating issue in the past. He is quirky and anxious and has had other issues

Am I remembering right that he has had neuro issues in the past?

If so, I would at least call the neurologist and ask if they want to see him.

hillview
04-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Am I remembering right that he has had neuro issues in the past?

If so, I would at least call the neurologist and ask if they want to see him.
Yes. Thanks. I think his history is what's triggering a mommy gut feeling. I think I will ping the doctor on Monday.

KpbS
04-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Has he complained of the food feeling "stuck?"

niccig
04-08-2017, 11:04 PM
Make sure he's taking smaller bites and chewing well. Then alternate sip of water in case any chewed food wasn't swallowed. You can help pace him so not eating too quickly.

Does he have gerd? Stomach acid coming up could make him gag

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

essnce629
04-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Has he complained of the food feeling "stuck?"

That's what I was going to ask as well. EoE (eosinophilic esophagitis) seems to be getting more and more common these days. I can think of a handful of kids I know who have been diagnosed recently.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eosinophilic-esophagitis/basics/definition/con-20035681

http://www.eosinophilicesophagitishome.org/

BunnyBee
04-09-2017, 06:53 PM
I thought of EoE as well as laryngosypasms. Has he had his tonsils and adenoids out? They can get really swollen, to the point of blocking things off and making the child feel like he can't swallow. My DS had this problem especially during allergy season. He hasn't had any issues after having a T&A.

hillview
04-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Thanks. Interesting responses. Yes he has had adenoids and tonsils out. Thanks all.