PDA

View Full Version : Catholic CCD classes.

DualvansMommy
04-12-2017, 06:10 PM
To Catholic moms here, help me out here about CCD. I'm in the early stage of transferring to a different Catholic Church for our family.

CCD classes start in what grade for kids? I tried googling and couldn't get a uniform answer; 1st or 2nd grade? Is it regional thing too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jgenie
04-12-2017, 06:18 PM
We're just outside NYC. Classes start here in 1st grade. 1st Communion is in 2nd grade.

smilequeen
04-12-2017, 06:22 PM
1st here. They have to do 1st and 2nd to do sacraments.

cckwmh
04-12-2017, 06:28 PM
It is 1st here. There were a few 2nd graders in my DD1 class in 1st grade because the child did not start in 1st grade,they had to wait until 3rd to make the sacraments most made in 2nd grade.

fauve01
04-12-2017, 06:51 PM
It is 1st here. There were a few 2nd graders in my DD1 class in 1st grade because the child did not start in 1st grade,they had to wait until 3rd to make the sacraments most made in 2nd grade.

:yeahthat: this was my dd. i remembered that First communion happened in 2nd so that's when i went and signed her up, not knowing it was a two-year program. oops.

AnnieW625
04-12-2017, 07:07 PM
To Catholic moms here, help me out here about CCD. I'm in the early stage of transferring to a different Catholic Church for our family.

CCD classes start in what grade for kids? I tried googling and couldn't get a uniform answer; 1st or 2nd grade? Is it regional thing too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started in 1983 in California (Sacramento) they started in 1st grade, but by the time my sister was eligible in 1992 they started in kindergarten. I think my brother went in kindergarten as well in 1985. I think it could vary by church as well. I know at my current church (Long Beach, CA area) it starts in preschool (3-kinder) and sacrament prep is a two year program that starts in 1st grade (for both the public school, and parish Catholic school kids). All 3-5th grade classes are on Sunday mornings and the middle and high school classes are in the evenings during the week; this varies though as our old parish still had CCD classes at 3:30 on a weekday afternoon (not convenient for us and part of the reason we switched parishs) CCD classes in my area go through sophomore year in high school when confirmation is completed; it is a 2 yr. program as well so really any grade from 9th to 12th grade can attend, but most finish in 10th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trales
04-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Our program begins in 1st grade, communion is in 2nd grade. It runs through middle school.

jgenie
04-12-2017, 07:31 PM

This is what happened to DS2.

specialp
04-12-2017, 09:01 PM

Same. In our area, begins at 4k, but 2 year program for 2nd grade sacrament so you can start at 1st and there is a definite increase in enrollment at 1st. If you forget to, you'll do 2 years and wait until 3rd grade for sacrament, but really, you're in good company with a lot of others who waited.

DualvansMommy
04-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Good thing I asked then! For some reason I thought it's one year program for Holy Communion sacrament and 2 year program for Confirmation. I went to an Catholic school, so it was all inclusive. DH couldn't remember how long his CCD lasted for each sacrament.

Then I'll change the church over the summer, so DS1 can be registered for his ccd classes during his 1st grade year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kindra178
04-12-2017, 09:17 PM
Pre k here. But you have to start in first to make your communion in second.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

LBW
04-13-2017, 07:59 AM
It depends on the diocese. K is offered in some parishes. In my experience in NJ, though, most kids start in 1st and receive First Communion in 2nd. Confirmation varies pretty wildly, however. Some diocese offer it in 8th grade, after a 2 year program. Some have it as late as junior year in HS. I know a lot of people who switched programs for Confirmation.

elizabethkott
04-13-2017, 09:02 AM
For DS1, we started him in first, to make communion in second. For DS2, the parish started a CCD program for kindy that met at the exact same time as DS2's classes, so that was a no-brainer there!
In our diocese, if you want your child to make confirmation in eighth grade, their religious ed must be continuous from first grade through eighth. There is no stopping and starting.

gamma
04-13-2017, 11:05 AM
I'm in NJ. In my DGC's church there is a new priest. His policy is even if you attend Catholic School, you still need to attend CCD classes. Also, continuous attendance 1-8 grade to be Confirmed. After First holy Communion, the DC must attend Mass each week and turn in homework related to the Homily/ Gospel each week.

MamaInMarch
04-13-2017, 11:20 AM
I'm in NJ. In my DGC's church there is a new priest. His policy is even if you attend Catholic School, you still need to attend CCD classes. Also, continuous attendance 1-8 grade to be Confirmed. After First holy Communion, the DC must attend Mass each week and turn in homework related to the Homily/ Gospel each week.

Wow! That's a lot! My DS attends Catholic school. They have Mass weekly during school, plus once a month they have extra Mass for their own class and participate in all Mass parts. They have religion classes in school, which includes homework. I can't imagine CCD on top of that plus homework from our parish! Is the priest older? I would just imagine my child severely balking at so much extra and church adding on homework becoming a sticking point with him (and honestly, me!).

DualvansMommy
04-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Wow! That's a lot! My DS attends Catholic school. They have Mass weekly during school, plus once a month they have extra Mass for their own class and participate in all Mass parts. They have religion classes in school, which includes homework. I can't imagine CCD on top of that plus homework from our parish! Is the priest older? I would just imagine my child severely balking at so much extra and church adding on homework becoming a sticking point with him (and honestly, me!).

Yes! That was me growing up; I attended Catholic school from 1st-12th where we had our weekly mass blocked off as a period in our school schedule. We also had to attend monthly confessions, take 2-3 religious class per week with homework. Despite all that, we were still expected to attend our parish mass at home every Sunday.

Can you say overkill?? [emoji33] it's no wonder I'm burnt out and even just the idea of attending weekly mass makes me twitchy. I would change church ASAP if we had to follow gamma parish.

essnce629
04-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Wow, I went to Catholic school k-12 and never had to attend CCD classes. I would have hated that!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

gamma
04-13-2017, 03:52 PM
He is not as old as you would expect. I'm inquiring now about what other parishes are in the area!

specialp
04-13-2017, 04:24 PM

That's crazy and no way would I'd be okay with that!

Yes! That was me growing up; I attended Catholic school from 1st-12th where we had our weekly mass blocked off as a period in our school schedule. We also had to attend monthly confessions, take 2-3 religious class per week with homework. Despite all that, we were still expected to attend our parish mass at home every Sunday.

Can you say overkill?? [emoji33] it's no wonder I'm burnt out and even just the idea of attending weekly mass makes me twitchy. I would change church ASAP if we had to follow gamma parish.

I understand attending weekly mass on Sunday because it's Sunday, but CCD for kids in catholic school and Homework on the homily (for any kid) is scary to me.

Kindra178
04-13-2017, 05:13 PM

I have never heard of double religious ed. Is he one of those restorationists?

pharmjenn
04-13-2017, 11:04 PM
For DS1, we started him in first, to make communion in second. For DS2, the parish started a CCD program for kindy that met at the exact same time as DS2's classes, so that was a no-brainer there!
In our diocese, if you want your child to make confirmation in eighth grade, their religious ed must be continuous from first grade through eighth. There is no stopping and starting.

Eek, I am going to have to check with our parish office. DS9 started in first grade and did 1st communion (and first reconcilliation) in second grade. I continued him this year, but was planning on taking a year off so we could have a day without a scheduled class (he has other activities that fill the week) They do Confirmation in high school here, so I don't think CCD needs to be continuous, but I guess I had better check.

Wow, that is a lot. We go to public school, so do CCD and attend mass most weeks. Most of our neighbors go to Catholic School, and we rarely see all the kids at Mass. Often just one or two with one of the parents, so I guess they may get Mass at school in addition to their religious classes.

llama8
04-15-2017, 03:16 PM
We live in NY.

My kids attend Catholic school, so we do not need CCD. They get religion during school time. I have never heard of going to catholic school and CCD. Ick. One of the big draws of Catholic school is no CCD. I went to Catholic school as did my parents and no one ever had to go to CCD. We don't need to attend weekly mass either with Catholic school, although it is recommended.

I do know that the CCD kids must begin in 1st grade and they continuously go every year until 8th or 9th grade to make confirmation. I believe that stopping CCD may mean they do not make their confirmation. I would check before stopping and taking a break from the program.