PDA

View Full Version : Do you hide hard boiled eggs for Easter?

trcy
04-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Just curious how others do this...
Growing up, my mom hid hard boiled eggs (the ones we dyed) in the house. She would hide them after I was asleep and they would go back into the fridge when I found them in the morning. Luckily we never got sick from eating them.
I set my alarm for about an hour before DD wakes up (she is pretty consistent) and hide the hard boiled eggs in the house. They are back in the fridge in less than 2 hours.
I assume most people hide the plastic eggs, but curious if anyone else hides the hard boiled ones and what is your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
04-15-2017, 06:12 PM
We hide confetti eggs and plastic eggs.

doberbrat
04-15-2017, 06:17 PM
no way. plastic only. Even if I werent afraid of the bacteria/smell issue of a forgotten egg, the dogs would be the first to find and eat the eggs.

TwinFoxes
04-15-2017, 06:17 PM
We hide them, go to church, come back and find them. No one's ever gotten sick. Eggshells are pretty good at keeping eggs safe.

Do people not take hardboiled eggs in their lunches? I'd think they'd be out much longer.

PZMommy
04-15-2017, 07:11 PM
We only hide plastic eggs. No one in my house eats hard boiled eggs, so we don't even dye Easter eggs. My boys are 7 and 5 and have never complained about missing out on coloring Easter eggs, so we never started that tradition.

DualvansMommy
04-15-2017, 08:04 PM
No, our hard boiled dyed eggs is only used as decoration in my house, and to be eaten within this week. We're down to 2 dyed eggs left. Plastic eggs is what get used for treasure egg hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mom2binsd
04-15-2017, 09:24 PM
We blow out eggs, but those are for decorations and now that we know DS is allergic to eggs we don't do that anymore. We have only hid plastic ones.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

gatorsmom
04-15-2017, 11:37 PM
No way. With my luck one would go unfound and start smelling! We had some friends kids over today and we let the kids form
teams and take turns hiding and finding plastic eggs. We still have some hidden that none of the kids can find! The ones who hid them can't remember where. Thank goodness they were empty.

We do dye hard boiled eggs for fun but then we just eat them.

MommyAllison
04-16-2017, 03:06 PM
We usually hide the hard boiled eggs outside, or not at all. However in our climate, Easter is usually cool and rainy, highs in the 40s or maybe low 50s, and we do the hunt immediately after hiding the eggs, so it feels pretty low risk to me. Other years we only do plastic eggs for the hunt.

MSWR0319
04-16-2017, 06:17 PM
I hide the hardboiled ones outside after the kids go to bed. They just started eating hardboiled eggs, so it's never been an issue. They don't even know you can eat them because we never have! I just throw them away after we're done with them.I hide plastic eggs in the house.

georgiegirl
04-16-2017, 06:31 PM
No. We hide plastic eggs. We have egg fights with the dyed hard boiled eggs (DH is from Eastern Europe.)

JBaxter
04-16-2017, 06:36 PM
I never have. We only hide plastic eggs.

babyonway
04-16-2017, 06:40 PM
I always go to the bathroom at night so I hide them during the night. I don't hide them in very hard to find places though and I am sure I count the number that is hidden to ensure the same amount is found!

We have egg hunts in the afternoon outside with cousins and those are plastic eggs.

mackmama
04-16-2017, 08:21 PM
we decorate eggs and use them as decoration before easter. we hide plastic eggs the night before easter. then we usually do a couple more rounds of hiding/finding and one of those rounds on easter day is with the real eggs (i make notes of where they are hidden). we throw them away after. we don't eat eggs that have been dyed.

SnuggleBuggles
04-16-2017, 09:22 PM
we decorate eggs and use them as decoration before easter. we hide plastic eggs the night before easter. then we usually do a couple more rounds of hiding/finding and one of those rounds on easter day is with the real eggs (i make notes of where they are hidden). we throw them away after. we don't eat eggs that have been dyed.

Instead of tossing, why not dye with natural ingredients (I'm guessing on why you toss them)? Beets, cabbage, turmeric...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
04-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Instead of tossing, why not dye with natural ingredients (I'm guessing on why you toss them)? Beets, cabbage, turmeric...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose we could, but we don't eat hard boiled eggs anyway so we are fine with tossing.

AnnieW625
04-17-2017, 12:06 AM
No we don't, but it is only because myself and DD2 are the only ones who like them; DH likes eggs scrambled and mixed with meat or veggies or made into an omelet, but won't eat them any other way. DD2 won't eat eggs unless they are used to bake. So in short if I hard boiled a dozen or so eggs we would be eating eggs every morning for breakfast and we like variety for breakfast.

If we had more friends or cousins to spend the day with then I would totally have an egg hunt with dyed eggs. In all of the years that we did this as a kid with my cousins at my grandparents' house (90 minutes away.....so the eggs had to travel un refrigerated for 90 minutes) I never got sick and neither did anyone else.

We don't have an egg hunt because our dog would get ahold of all of the eggs, especially the plastic ones.