PDA

View Full Version : Update #36 Advice and prayers for early cancer diagnosis

melrose7
04-17-2017, 11:51 AM
I went for my first mammogram 2 weeks ago after turning 40 last fall. They called me back the next day wanting more pictures but explained that is very common after your first one. They found some calcifications in my left breast and wanted a better look. Went the next day for another one. After that one I stayed while the radiologist looked at them and then got the word that they wanted to do a biopsy. WHAT? So I had that done last Wednesday. I was shocked already since we have no history of any breast cancer on either side of the family. So I got a call the day after the biopsy, last Thursday that I tested positive for DCIS, stage 0, also know as precancerous non-invasive breast cancer. Cancerous cells that are in the milk duct. They recommend surgery and maybe radiation. I am going for an MRI tomorrow and meeting with a genetic counselor Wednesday. All this is happening so fast and I think I'm still in denial. It didn't help that Easter was this weekend. Of course I had never heard of DCIS, or calcifications before so all this is new to me. It doesn't help that my dad just got diagnosed with stage 1 prostate cancer. Also, very treatable with radiation next month, but still a lot to be going on.
I've been working hard trying to fill my spots in my in home daycare and after moving a year ago it's finally full and now worried about surgery and all these appointments coming up. So if anyone has any BTDT advice on early breast cancer I would appreciate any help. And any extra prayers you can offer would be wonderful.
Thanks

newnana
04-17-2017, 12:15 PM
no advice. Just huge hugs and loads of P&PT sent your way. Hang in there!

trcy
04-17-2017, 12:45 PM
No advice, but lots of P&PT headed your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

TwinFoxes
04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
No advice either, knock on wood, but sending you P&PT.

Kindra178
04-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts!

MMMommy
04-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Positive thoughts and well wishes for you. :hug:

squimp
04-17-2017, 01:09 PM
I sent you a pm but I wanted to also recommend the community boards on breast cancer.org, those ladies are super helpful, and there is a whole section about DCIS.

https://community.breastcancer.org/

123LuckyMom
04-17-2017, 01:09 PM
I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

wencit
04-17-2017, 01:10 PM
A couple years ago, I was diagnosed with DCIS after having my mammogram on my 40th birthday. First of all, I'm sorry you're going through this, as I know it's scary and stressful. However, the silver lining - if you can call it that - is that DCIS is the "best case scenario" if you are going to be diagnosed with cancer. You are lucky you caught it at this early stage. As you know, it's very treatable with surgery and radiation. I ended up having a mastectomy (so no radiation and no chemo), and my life has pretty much returned to normal since then.

I found the website breastcancer.org (http://breastcancer.org) to be a wonderful resource. Also, if you haven't purchased it already, The Breast Book by Dr. Susan Love is considered "the bible" when it comes to breast cancer issues.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or would like support from someone who has BTDT. Sending you lots of hugs!

jgenie
04-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts headed your way.

JustMe
04-17-2017, 02:11 PM
So sorry to hear this. I don't have any btdt nor any knowledge, so just sending PTs and hugs.

firstbaby
04-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Sending you lots of P&PT!

citymama
04-17-2017, 05:52 PM
This must be such a scary time for you. The silver lining is that they caught this so early when it is highly treatable. Sending you many good wishes and healing thoughts.

Charlie
04-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Wishing you strength and health.

pinkmomagain
04-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Sending you healthy, healing vibes!!!

ourbabygirl
04-17-2017, 07:58 PM
Sending you hugs and lots of positive vibes! Glad you caught it early! :)

avd3875
04-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Sending you lots of P&PT!

bigsis
04-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Praying for you...

Indianamom2
04-17-2017, 09:11 PM
I am sorry you're dealing with this, but thankfully it is super early and treatable. I have a relative with this and she was diagnosed 5+ years ago (probably nearing 10 years now) and is doing great. I don't have any words of wisdom, just thoughts and prayers.

georgiegirl
04-17-2017, 09:47 PM
I'm so sorry. Many hugs. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

FWIW, DH is a radiation oncologist and thinks that DCIS is the "best" type of cancer you can get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hillview
04-18-2017, 08:22 AM
sending positive thoughts your way.

candaceb
04-18-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm sorry you're facing this. MIL had the exact same diagnosis a few years ago. She had a partial mastectomy, recovered fairly quickly, and I had forgotten all about it until this post. I haven't heard her mention it since right after the surgery. I hope it is as uneventful for you.

bisous
04-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Sending prayers to you!

melrose7
04-18-2017, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts. I still think I'm in denial as this isn't really happening. It will probably start to sink in once I see the oncologist and the surgeon next week. So relieved to know that that this is the best kind of breast cancer to have if there is such a thing. Just nervous about all the unexpected things coming up.

HannaAddict
04-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Good positive thoughts to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zukeypur
04-18-2017, 06:25 PM
First, so sorry to hear this.

Second, almost the exact same thing happened to me last year, except mine was atypical ductile hyperplasia in the right breast, and my dad had multiple myeloma. We found out within 12 hours of each other. I had a lumpectomy and no radiation. I decided to start tamoxifen, which has been fine so far. I've been on it for 9 months now with no real side effects. I had a follow up mammo and MRI in October which showed a benign growth in the same breast. Repeat mammo was last week, showing the same benign growth.

I received countless positive messages and comments from the sweet ladies on this board. Lots of info and support will surely come your way. Feel free to message me I feel you have questions!

zukeypur
04-18-2017, 06:26 PM
First, so sorry to hear this.

Second, almost the exact same thing happened to me last year, except mine was atypical ductile hyperplasia in the right breast, and my dad had multiple myeloma. We found out within 12 hours of each other. I had a lumpectomy and no radiation. I decided to start tamoxifen, which has been fine so far. I've been on it for 9 months now with no real side effects. I had a follow up mammo and MRI in October which showed a benign growth in the same breast. Repeat mammo was last week, showing the same benign growth.

I received countless positive messages and comments from the sweet ladies on this board. Lots of info and support will surely come your way. Feel free to message me I feel you have questions!

maestramommy
04-18-2017, 06:42 PM
:hug5:and prayers for you. You got this!

liz
04-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Sending prayers, positive thoughts and hugs your way :hug::hug:

Momit
04-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Lots of hugs coming your way. Sent you a PM too.

SnuggleBuggles
04-18-2017, 10:57 PM
Adding on some more hugs!!!

gatorsmom
04-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Lots of prayers and positive thoughts coming your way.

niccig
04-19-2017, 01:33 AM
Lots of hugs coming your way

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

Dream
04-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Lots of prayers coming your way, wishing you a speedy recovery.

essnce629
04-19-2017, 04:38 PM
So sorry to hear this but glad it seems to be the best possible cancer situation one can be in. Sending you lots of positive and healing vibes. Please update us after your appointment.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

melrose7
04-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Finally had some good news today. I had my MRI on Tuesday and it showed no other areas of concern. I meet with a genetic counselor yesterday and decided not to go through with the test. There are only 2 cases of cancer total out of 100 some relatives and none are breast cancer so hard to think this is genetic. Just worried for my daughters as they will have to start screening sooner.

So Monday I meet with the surgeon and oncologist and can schedule the surgery and get all my questions answered. That's probably when it's going to really sink in.

I've been feeling fine but for some reason really tired this week.

Thanks again for the prayers and positive thoughts.

doberbrat
04-20-2017, 11:30 AM
I have no words of wisdom or advice, but wanted to say I'm thinking of you. I'm not surprised you're tired - it must be extremely mentally and emotionally draining. Be gentle with yourself. :heartbeat:

elephantmeg
04-20-2017, 08:01 PM
sending lots of hugs and prayers your way! Glad to see your update

Ms B
04-20-2017, 10:08 PM
P&PT.

Also, FWIW, do consider getting a second opinion and at least talk through all of your options. There is a lot of documentation that shows that the course of treatment that gets recommended to you is regionally driven in the United States and there is no noticeable difference in outcomes. Know your choices!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KpbS
04-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Sending big hugs and prayers! :grouphug:

AnnieW625
04-20-2017, 11:53 PM
Lots of prayers to you.

musicalgrl
04-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Sending you lots of good wishes!!

candaceb
05-01-2017, 09:27 AM
I just saw this Washington Post article and remembered this thread:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/waiting-and-watching-with-stage-0-breast-cancer-put-to-nationwide-test/2017/04/29/60e47bde-1f8f-11e7-ad74-3a742a6e93a7_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.ba9aa817d03c

melrose7
05-01-2017, 10:12 AM
I just saw this Washington Post article and remembered this thread:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/waiting-and-watching-with-stage-0-breast-cancer-put-to-nationwide-test/2017/04/29/60e47bde-1f8f-11e7-ad74-3a742a6e93a7_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.ba9aa817d03c

Thanks for the link to the article. I had just found the study they are referring to late last night while I was back on google searching. I don't qualify for it since I'm not as low risk as I thought I was. They need grade 1 and mine in grade 2-3, still stage 0 pre-cancer. I've decided to get a second opinion regarding radiation. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on May 11. My doctors are suggesting radiation just because that is the what is done but the oncologist even said that 2/3 of the women don't need all the treatment but we don't know who those 2/3 are. I have time to decide since radiation wouldn't start until a month after surgery.

newnana
05-01-2017, 11:58 AM
Sending you lots of P&PT for your appointment today. Good strong vibes headed your way.

squimp
05-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Do you know if they are going to send the tumor for Oncotype or some other genetic testing? I think they are starting to do that more with DCIS, and now have metrics like they do for other breast cancers. The Oncotype results, along with the grade, might help guide treatment.

I think getting multiple opinions is a great idea. You can also ask to see the book recommendations.

melrose7
05-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Do you know if they are going to send the tumor for Oncotype or some other genetic testing? I think they are starting to do that more with DCIS, and now have metrics like they do for other breast cancers. The Oncotype results, along with the grade, might help guide treatment.

I think getting multiple opinions is a great idea. You can also ask to see the book recommendations.

Yes , I did ask the surgeon to send for the Oncotype testing. They said he usually doesn't but because I said I was unsure about radiation he would do it. Hopefully it helps me make a decision and not make it harder for me.

squimp
05-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Hugs. It is very tough. Good luck with everything and hoping for a low risk score. I would make sure the Oncotype it is covered by insurance though, should be if the oncologist recommends it.