PDA

View Full Version : ATT wireless new unlimited plan vs grandfathered unlimited data plan??

ckso
04-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Does anybody here has or had the grandfathered unlimited wireless plan and know how it compares to the new unlimited plans? I tried googling it and the reviews seem mixed. Some people said they noticed a difference in their download speed even though they went with the unlimited plus. some also said they lost their corporate/student discounts. Others said they've had no problems.

Anyways, I'm considering switching to the unlimited plus. We have 2 iphones so cost-wise wouldn't be a huge difference but we could use the unlimited talk time.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

TIA

Mikey0709
04-17-2017, 02:30 PM
I had the old grandfathered unlimited and switched over to shared data plan 2 months ago. HUGE savings, don't know why i was afraid to lose my unlimited? Before we had limited talk, unlimited texts - but paid for it. We now share 25g which is way over what we use, and unlimited talk/text. SIGNIFICANT savings. I added 3 NEW smart phones, and my bill is around the same with them added to what it used to be - like adding 3 phones for free.

I noticed no difference in download speeds/no change. We also did NOT lose our corporate discount.

Just recently compared the shared data to newest unlimited plan.... and i think it was about the same for me. I'm going to revisit it again actually.... now you can do it all online to compare what your bill would be!

I still like AT&T though i DID consider a cheaper alternative (cricket).

Chitowngirl
04-17-2017, 03:27 PM
I didn't have the old ATT unlimited plan, but my husband did. We switched to the new plan and I'm thrilled with it. We aren't a big data using family, but we haven't noticed lower speeds. I also LOVE the ability to tether for free. We never used tethering before since I refused to pay extra for it, but we use it a ton. I find I use my iPad mini a lot more now that I don't have to worry about only using it in places that have free wifi. I'm also happy I can use my iPad to do things like pay bills in Starbucks without worrying about the insecurity of using an open wifi network. I also like my DS can easily use his kindle to tether to my phone if I need to give him a distraction in places like doctor's offices. It's also super easy to to turn the tethering off from my phone so when I decide internet is done - then it's done! That alone would be worth it for my - especially if the price is the same or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
04-17-2017, 06:34 PM
I didn't have the old ATT unlimited plan, but my husband did. We switched to the new plan and I'm thrilled with it. We aren't a big data using family, but we haven't noticed lower speeds. I also LOVE the ability to tether for free. We never used tethering before since I refused to pay extra for it, but we use it a ton. I find I use my iPad mini a lot more now that I don't have to worry about only using it in places that have free wifi. I'm also happy I can use my iPad to do things like pay bills in Starbucks without worrying about the insecurity of using an open wifi network. I also like my DS can easily use his kindle to tether to my phone if I need to give him a distraction in places like doctor's offices. It's also super easy to to turn the tethering off from my phone so when I decide internet is done - then it's done! That alone would be worth it for my - especially if the price is the same or less.

How does the tethering work? Is it easy to use?

I have the old grandfathered unlimited plan and have been too cautious to risk losing it. Sounds like this new plan could be a good option!

Chitowngirl
04-17-2017, 09:44 PM
It's super easy to work and I'm not tech savvy. I have an iPhone - not sure how it works on other phones. With the iPhone the day we changed to the new plan when I went to settings I had a new category called personal hotspot. If you go to it and turn it on the screen looks like this. You can then set a password so that your hotspot isn't accessible to just anyone and then you are ready to go. I usually keep mine turned to off until I am really to use it. When I turn it on my iPad is automatically connected - no need to do anything else. For my DS's fire I usually have to go to the wifi thing on the fire where it lists available networks and select the correct one and enter the password. It's an extra step, but I don't mind as it just takes a second and I don't want him to be on it without my knowing anyway. Not sure if that step is due to the iPhone tethering itself or if it's because I have many of the parental restrictions in place on his kindle fire.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170418/a22d7fd027e678ceb2f290b51dda2ce9.jpg

mackmama
04-17-2017, 10:12 PM
Thank you! So with tethering, you don't have to connect a cord to the iPad from your iPhone to have it work?

khm
04-17-2017, 10:36 PM
Thank you! So with tethering, you don't have to connect a cord to the iPad from your iPhone to have it work?

No. It is a WiFi hotspot. Basically your phone is sending out your phone data as WiFi and the other devices can use it. Like your home WiFi.

123LuckyMom
04-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks for letting me know about this! I've got a grandfathered unlimited plan, and I've clutched on to it like crazy! It seems like there really are some competitive options now, though, and I'd LOVE to be able to do the wifi hotspot for the kids. I'm going to look into the options.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Twin Mom
04-18-2017, 03:19 PM
I thought you had to have direct tv to get an unlimited plan with AT&T unless you had a stand alone grandfathered plan. Did that change? I have no interest in direct tv. AT&T internet is too slow where I live so that wouldn't work either. Is this plan stand alone?

DualvansMommy
04-18-2017, 06:48 PM
I thought you had to have direct tv to get an unlimited plan with AT&T unless you had a stand alone grandfathered plan. Did that change? I have no interest in direct tv. AT&T internet is too slow where I live so that wouldn't work either. Is this plan stand alone?

That was the old rule, but now it changed! DH & i have our old plan that is grandfathered, so when i looked into adding the boys lines into my plan for their iPads, i had to go with limited number of GB vs unlimited cuz of the direct tv rule. Now that is done away, i switched and upgraded to unlimited plan for my ipad, the boys ipad and our iphones and came out saving 25 bucks CHEAPER from our old plan with limited data plan. We also had coporate discount from DH's work applied towards my plan too, also the disability discount on our phones, which is one of main reasons why we're not switching to other carriers because they don't ususally honor that for new customers.