PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about spironolactone

bisous
04-17-2017, 06:10 PM
My dermatologist originally wanted to prescribe spironolactone for me but I resisted. I hate taking any medication into my body. I don't want anything to mess with my hormones (my mood is great) or my body which seems to be working just great. I tried Retin-A and clindamycin and was very strict about using them properly. Unfortunately the zits just won't quit. My face is a mess of white heads and bigger inflamed pimples all around my chin and nose. I'm starting to think I might need spironolactone.

So that's my question. I seem to remember that some of you have used it with success. My SIL got dizzy and lightheaded while on it. I'm wondering if this is one of those medications that needs attention or care to diet and hydration habits. Have you used it? Was it successful for you? Did you have symptoms?

If you have had hormonal acne, have you used anything else with success? Is it possible I just need a better face cleaning regimen? Mine is super simple. (Cetaphil and water morning and evening--that's it!)

Any tips greatly appreciated!

mackmama
04-17-2017, 06:30 PM
I also don't like taking meds. When I get flareups around my chin, it's always because I've been touching my face more often or resting my chin in my hands a lot. The best thing I've found for breakouts and my very sensitive skin are Cane and Austin's products.
https://caneandaustin.com/shop/25-acne-retexture-pad/

Charlie
04-17-2017, 07:07 PM
I used it and it did nothing but alter my otherwise very regular menstrual cycle. I have hormonal acne and it just comes and goes. I have never had success with any product or regimen, whether prescription or over the counter from my teens until now. Of course there are some products that have not exacerbated things so when I find something I stick with it.

lovin2shop
04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Spironolactone has been a godsend for me! I used to regularly get huge painful cysts on my chin. I never get them anymore, except when I stop taking the spiro. I almost never take medicine, even Tylenol or Advil. I asked my GP if it is concerning that I have been on it for so many years, and she was not at all concerned. My insurance company actually sent me a notice that I should contact my doctor about the dosage, and it was actually because this is regularly used to help people control their blood pressure. My dosage is too low for reducing blood pressure, so it flagged the notice. If I am erratic about taking it, I might get some spotting. But that causes an acne flare, so I am very careful to take it daily. I have not ever notice any moodiness or other symptoms, except that I am so relieved not to deal with cystic acne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maestramommy
04-17-2017, 09:40 PM
I just started using it 2 months ago. I was on 50mg a day but am about to up it to 75 mg/day, as soon as my bloodwork comes back. The only real side effect I've had is being thirsty a lot, so it prompts me to drink a lot more. That's understandable, since it's a diuretic. My hormonal acne has been driving me nuts for years, and the derma said really none of the OTC cremes, gels, cleansers work for this. In conjunction I use differin gel, which just came on the market 2 months ago OTC generic. I was using tretinoin but it was a little too drying. Differin is supposed to be less so, but still has a retin-A effect.

I would say it's made a pretty big difference, but still not quite enough, which is why I'm upping the dose.

mikala
04-17-2017, 11:23 PM
I used it several years ago and it worked really well for me. I don't recall any negative side effects. I did pay a bit more attention to drinking enough water and found that I had to pee a little more often. I would definitely consider it again if I go through another significant acne phase.

calebsmama03
04-17-2017, 11:44 PM
I have always been prone to acne with hormone triggers (nasty break outs from birth control, even Mirena IUD) but had hormonal acne that would not quit after #3. Was even getting cysts and inflamed acne- yuck. I have such strong reactions to hormone altering meds and tend towards low BP so I wouldn't even consider spiro for myself, but honestly the best thing I have ever done for my skin was a strict elimination diet. I discovered that wheat/gluten was a major acne trigger for me. It took several months off of it before I got real noticeable improvement but now my skin is largely clear. When I get an accidental dose of wheat I get a nasty break out 5-7 days later, without fail! I know of someone else who had a similar reaction with dairy.

Aside from that, I would highly recommend contacting http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/ for a free consult and ordering a few samples. I use their peels and a few other products (lac-lauronic serum, mandellic toner, niacinamide serum). They are really amazing products.

bisous
04-18-2017, 12:28 AM
OK. Doesn't sound too bad! I might give it a try. I am actually really bad about drinking enough during the day. I should probably work on that habit any way. I'm going to see if I can get a script from my doctor.

bisous
04-18-2017, 12:32 AM
I have always been prone to acne with hormone triggers (nasty break outs from birth control, even Mirena IUD) but had hormonal acne that would not quit after #3. Was even getting cysts and inflamed acne- yuck. I have such strong reactions to hormone altering meds and tend towards low BP so I wouldn't even consider spiro for myself, but honestly the best thing I have ever done for my skin was a strict elimination diet. I discovered that wheat/gluten was a major acne trigger for me. It took several months off of it before I got real noticeable improvement but now my skin is largely clear. When I get an accidental dose of wheat I get a nasty break out 5-7 days later, without fail! I know of someone else who had a similar reaction with dairy.

Aside from that, I would highly recommend contacting http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/ for a free consult and ordering a few samples. I use their peels and a few other products (lac-lauronic serum, mandellic toner, niacinamide serum). They are really amazing products.

See, I think you might be right that I'm reacting to something I'm eating. My acne definitely got much worse when I started my current diet BUT that said, I've lost 15 pounds. Not easily, I've counted calories every day and am using intermittent fasting. BUT I could eat like this every day. It makes me happy. This makes me really hesitant to change anything! The diet is pretty balanced actually, fairly low in sugar, lots of veggies.

The weird thing about my skin is that it really was almost completely clear for maybe 10 years (age 28 to 38) and then my skin just broke out with a vengeance and in places I've never broken out before. It is clearly hormone related.

I'll have to take a look at the products. I'm pretty minimalist and critical but I'm open to trying new things!

lovin2shop
04-18-2017, 10:23 AM
My Derm said that she treats more women in their late 30's to early 40's for hormonal acne than she does teenagers.

AnnieW625
04-18-2017, 10:31 AM
I have never used it but from 1992 (15) until 2004 (26) I took pretty much every every acne drug on the market that ended in -cyclen, plus Accutane and it helped keep it under control. In 2004 when my IBS with constipation got really bad my GP suggested I limit my wheat intake and within weeks I was able to stop taking my oral -cyclen meds and my face cleared up. Not saying this works for everyone and TBH it is hard as hell for me to stay off wheat (it was much needed before I had kids because of the ibs, but since having kids I go through phases where I can't eat wheat at all and other times where I can have maybe one or two sandwiches a week, some crackers or high fiber pasta and be ok), but honestly it does work.

I also have seen way more acne in the last three years and it is totally hormonal and I too am getting it in spots I never did before (back, glutes, and behind my ears). I am turning 40 in June.

If it were me I would probably try the medicine and continue your diet (although instead of fasting I might try eating carb friendly veggies instead) the way you are.

Good luck!