PDA

View Full Version : Eye muscles are hurting. Allergies?

bisous
04-18-2017, 11:31 AM
DS1 is having a lot of pain and itchiness with his eyes. He says that what really bothers him is that the "muscles" in his eyes are sore and his vision is blurry. Is this an allergy thing?

I need to note, because I'm sure it will be brought up, that he has type 1 diabetes. However, his eyes were just tested weeks ago and his retinal scan showed no damage from diabetes.

DS1 was tested for allergies when he was six. I'm not sure he was tested for everything but he showed negative on the skin prick test for the most common allergens.

We're trying Zyrtec today to see if there is improvement.

Kindra178
04-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Does he need glasses?

KpbS
04-18-2017, 02:01 PM
To me it sounds like eye strain. Was his vision tested when his retinas were checked recently? Is it possible for him to have astigmatism?

bisous
04-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Does he need glasses?

He's got a super strong prescription. It has been less than a year since his exam but maybe that's it? His prescription is -4 in one eye and -4.25 in the other.

It is interesting because he states he can remember the exact moment when it got worse and it was after his camping trip to the snow. That's why I thought it might be allergy related. Maybe the snow was too bright??

rlu
04-18-2017, 02:18 PM
He's got a super strong prescription. It has been less than a year since his exam but maybe that's it? His prescription is -4 in one eye and -4.25 in the other.

We have finally gotten past the stage where DS's rx was changing significantly enough to get new lenses every year. If you're nearing the year mark, maybe get him in a little early? I know our insurance used to be a year and a day type, but it changed a few years ago and now at the turning of the year we are covered. (So even if we had our exam in September 2016, we could go anytime after Jan 1 this year). Not sure how common that is.

Does he have Transitions or similar on his lenses for the sun?

bisous
04-18-2017, 02:21 PM
We have finally gotten past the stage where DS's rx was changing significantly enough to get new lenses every year. If you're nearing the year mark, maybe get him in a little early? I know our insurance used to be a year and a day type, but it changed a few years ago and now at the turning of the year we are covered. (So even if we had our exam in September 2016, we could go anytime after Jan 1 this year). Not sure how common that is.

Does he have Transitions or similar on his lenses for the sun?

No he doesn't. Maybe he needs them. Yikes. I don't wear glasses so didn't even consider that maybe he needed a new prescription! I guess I'll see if I can get him in this week.

PunkyBoo
04-18-2017, 03:33 PM
When I have sinus pressure, I sometimes get that sore eyes feeling. I swear lately my eyelashes hurt from sinus pressure! This would also make sense given the camping in the snow!

bisous
04-18-2017, 03:40 PM
When I have sinus pressure, I sometimes get that sore eyes feeling. I swear lately my eyelashes hurt from sinus pressure! This would also make sense given the camping in the snow!

Oh interesting! Maybe that's it? He's been sniffling lately too. I guess that's something to talk to the ped about? He doesn't have a fever or anything but his blood sugars have been crazy hard to control (usually a sign that something is up!)