PDA

View Full Version : Orthopedics - ugh!

khalloc
04-19-2017, 03:32 PM
DS fractured his finger today. A closed nondisplaced fracture of proximal phalanx of left ring finger. We got a splint that cannot get wet and we leave for the Caribbean on Sunday. UGh.

I tried calling Orthopedics and pleading for an appointment by Friday but no luck. DH says broken fingers go untreated all the time. Is it awful to contemplate letting him take the splint off when he's swimming? I just can't see how he would be able to go on vacation to an island and not get his splint wet.

I'll try calling orthopedics again tomorrow and Friday but I'm not going to hold my breath for an appointment.

babyonway
04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
DS fractured his finger today. A closed nondisplaced fracture of proximal phalanx of left ring finger. We got a splint that cannot get wet and we leave for the Caribbean on Sunday. UGh.

I tried calling Orthopedics and pleading for an appointment by Friday but no luck. DH says broken fingers go untreated all the time. Is it awful to contemplate letting him take the splint off when he's swimming? I just can't see how he would be able to go on vacation to an island and not get his splint wet.

I'll try calling orthopedics again tomorrow and Friday but I'm not going to hold my breath for an appointment.

I'm assuming the splint can't get wet cause it will degrade faster. I could be wrong. I would get a splint for swimming and a splint for not swimming. And throw the swimming one away when you are done. Did a dr put the splint on it? Since you haven't seen an orthopedist was it just a PCP?

I broke my ring finger and let it go untreated and it looks different than my other fingers and I can't bend it fully.

khalloc
04-19-2017, 04:00 PM
We went to urgent care. A medical assistant put the splint on it. Then we are supposed to go to an orthopedist in a week, but we will be on vacation so was hoping to get in earlier. But now I am thinking we just let him take the splint off when not swimming? Or buy something that can get wet and resplint it ourselves? They don't have his finger in a straight line exactly. It's kind of like a cup. So his wrist is straight, the his hand is bent upwards and his fingers are bent down, like a model who is waving, if that makes sense. So makes it harder to keep changing the splint.

I wouldn't leave it totally untreated. But just lax on the splint from days 5-12. Then go to the orthopedist and have him get a cast I guess.

KrisM
04-19-2017, 04:06 PM
DS has broken a finger twice now. We would take the splint off for showers and put it back on ourselves. I'd do what PP suggested and get one to put on for swimming and just swap them. If you just have it off during swimming and he knocks it into something or someone, it's likely to hurt a lot. The splint will have some protection from that.

lalasmama
04-19-2017, 04:17 PM
It sounds like the splint I had when I had a green stick fracture on my arm. I know I was allowed to take it off for showering. I'm kind of surprised they went with that kind of splint!

Perhaps they would okay something like athletic tape while swimming to keep it stable, then resplint when not swimming?

NCGrandma
04-19-2017, 04:18 PM
Around here, a number of the large Orthopedics groups (both medical school-affiliated and not) have started "Orthopedic urgent care" practices especially for sports injuries and the like. Is this the kind of place you went? If not, might be worth investigating whether there are any near you. They have staff who are specifically trained in dealing with these injuries and also should be able to expedite access to an Orthopedist if necessary, as well as hopefully offering options for swimming etc.

I'm particularly attuned to anything Ortho right now because I just had wrist surgery (to remove the "hardware" from a previous fracture repair) but I know that inadequately treated fractures can sometimes require unpleasant treatment later. A family member needed surgery to fix the initial inadequate treatment. (Sorry...)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khalloc
04-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Around here, a number of the large Orthopedics groups (both medical school-affiliated and not) have started "Orthopedic urgent care" practices especially for sports injuries and the like. Is this the kind of place you went? If not, might be worth investigating whether there are any near you. They have staff who are specifically trained in dealing with these injuries and also should be able to expedite access to an Orthopedist if necessary, as well as hopefully offering options for swimming etc.

I'm particularly attuned to anything Ortho right now because I just had wrist surgery (to remove the "hardware" from a previous fracture repair) but I know that inadequately treated fractures can sometimes require unpleasant treatment later. A family member needed surgery to fix the initial inadequate treatment. (Sorry...)

We don't have any places like that that I know of. We are in Northern VT. Everyplace is associated with UVM Medical Center and they don't have any appointments apparently. Plus they reminded me they don't want to see him for 5 days anyways. I tried to plead my case, but it didn't help.

I found a DryPro waterproof cast cover on Amazon that looks promising. But I would like to buy another splint in case the cover leaks.....

does anyone know if you can buy that splint pad that hardens with water? So that way there if it gets ruined I could resplint it? It looks like a white felt pad that is kind of pillowy in the center and when the doc got it wet he shaped it to DS arm and it hardened. Any ideas?

Maybe it's better not to have a cast and to either try the waterproof cover or just take the splint off for swimming. Seems like playing in the sand and swimming might not be very fun either way?

georgiegirl
04-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Can you just buddy tape it? DD had a bad sprain (ring finger, joint was bruised and swollen for 2+ weeks) and we were instructed to buddy tape it. The ortho who saw DD said it would have been the same treatment for a break. She's on swim team and swam a few days later with zero issues. She broke her big toe in the fall, and treatment was to Buddy tape it too. She was able to swim also. So I'd just buy some waterproof tape and buddy tape the finger for swimming!

o_mom
04-19-2017, 05:37 PM
I would get a SAM splint and waterproof tape/self-adhesive wrap. A friend was a the last scout jamboree and he said for broken wrists they would put on a SAM splint and send them out kayaking. It should be good for wet conditions. Just change it out afterward.

REI carries them in store, though I'm not sure they have the "finger" size ones.

georgiegirl
04-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Also, not sure where you are located, but we have an orthopedic urgent care here. Sometimes the ER docs don't know what is the best treatment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

khalloc
04-19-2017, 06:26 PM
I would get a SAM splint and waterproof tape/self-adhesive wrap. A friend was a the last scout jamboree and he said for broken wrists they would put on a SAM splint and send them out kayaking. It should be good for wet conditions. Just change it out afterward.

REI carries them in store, though I'm not sure they have the "finger" size ones.

I like the idea of the SAM Splint. I just don't know the best type to buy. His current splint isn't just on his finger. It goes all the way up to almost his elbow!

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000045416548/media/52871352725/medium/enhance

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000045416548/media/52871352694/medium/enhance

My sister in law is going to ask her friend who works in orthopedics. And my husbands cousin is a scheduler so I might see if he can call her (they aren't close though).

NCGrandma
04-19-2017, 08:09 PM
I like the idea of the SAM Splint. I just don't know the best type to buy. His current splint isn't just on his finger. It goes all the way up to almost his elbow!

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000045416548/media/52871352725/medium/enhance

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000045416548/media/52871352694/medium/enhance

My sister in law is going to ask her friend who works in orthopedics. And my husbands cousin is a scheduler so I might see if he can call her (they aren't close though).

With such an extensive splint, I would personally hesitate to take the do-it-yourself approach.

PZMommy
04-19-2017, 08:19 PM
I had a student who had a cast similar to this. They said that the way the finger was broken, if he moved it too much the break could worsen. He had a cast for 4 weeks.

With a splint like the one your DS is wearing, I would not take it off and try to do something on my own. There must be a reason they splinted his whole arm for just a broken finger.

khalloc
04-19-2017, 09:00 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. I just can't see how they expect us to keep this dry for almost 2 weeks. There needs to be a bettter option. We are driving to Boston on Saturday. Maybe I could walk in to an urgent care clinic there?

PZMommy
04-19-2017, 09:21 PM
That's what I'm afraid of. I just can't see how they expect us to keep this dry for almost 2 weeks. There needs to be a bettter option. We are driving to Boston on Saturday. Maybe I could walk in to an urgent care clinic there?

Do you know if the break goes across his finger, or is it up and down his finger? I know for my student it was up and down, and they said it could continue to crack and go into his hand/wrist, which is why the cast was so big.

For showers you could just put a garbage bag over it, but that won't help you in the sand and beach!

mom2binsd
04-19-2017, 09:28 PM
I'd be pushing to see an actual ortho doc, there's got to be someway to get in! I'd keep trying, that is a HUGE amount of bandages, and I'm wondering if the medical assistant was playing it super cautious?? There is no way I"d be able to keep that clean on your vacation and he needs to be able to swim!!!!

NCGrandma
04-19-2017, 09:31 PM

Even though there aren't any Orthopedics urgent care clinics in your area, I'm sure there are some in Boston -- definitely a better option than a general urgent care, especially for kids.

That splint looks very much like what I had after my recent wrist surgery. The nurses in the Health Center where I spent the 2 weeks til the splint came off wrapped my forearm in a towel, then in a large garbage bag tied at the elbow, so I could get a shower without getting the splint wet. Cumbersome but effective--but I can't imagine it would be adequate for swimming.

hillview
04-19-2017, 09:35 PM
That's a serious splint! Call Mgh and children's and brighams and see who can take you. Good luck! Oh maybe Dartmouth Hitchcock?

KrisM
04-19-2017, 09:46 PM
That's a lot more than DS had.

Can you leave earlier than planned and find an orthopedic urgent care in Boston or on your way there?

mom2binsd
04-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Surely someone in Burlington can see him before you leave! Going to Hitchcock seems like a long drive for a broken finger!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

khalloc
04-20-2017, 08:26 AM
I called back the same orthopedic place this morning when they opened and I got a much nicer person on the phone. She told me again that their protocol is to wait 5 days before they see anyone with a fracture. I asked about waterproof splints and she said that she cant give me clinical advise, but she can tell me that yes, they make waterproof splints. Then she asked if I wanted to make an appointment anyways. I told her the soonest we could come in was May 2nd since we would be out of the country. Then she put me on hold and came back and said she was sending DS's file over to the triage doctor and when she comes in at 8:45 she will review it and decide if he can be seen today. So please think good thoughts!!! I would be so happy if they could see him today or tomorrow.

georgiegirl
04-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Great update. I bet they will see you before you leave the country.

NCGrandma
04-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Hope you can get in ASAP and they can offer what you need! Keep us posted!

khalloc
04-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Good News! They finally called back and will see him today at 1:30. So I have to leave work early and pick him up but I am so psyched! I am pretty sure the woman who called me back was the same one who wouldnt help me yesterday. Why couldnt she have forwarded his case to the triage doctor yesterday afternoon? Instead I had to call again and find someone else who offered that service. I knew they had to keep appointments open for cases like this (I consider it an emergency for me, I know its not a real emergency). But really, making a kid stay in a huge splint for 12 days that cant even get wet?

georgiegirl
04-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Good News! They finally called back and will see him today at 1:30. So I have to leave work early and pick him up but I am so psyched! I am pretty sure the woman who called me back was the same one who wouldnt help me yesterday. Why couldnt she have forwarded his case to the triage doctor yesterday afternoon? Instead I had to call again and find someone else who offered that service. I knew they had to keep appointments open for cases like this (I consider it an emergency for me, I know its not a real emergency). But really, making a kid stay in a huge splint for 12 days that cant even get wet?

Great news! Can't wait to hear what the ortho has to say about the break.

Philly Mom
04-20-2017, 11:56 AM

Awesome! Have a great trip!

PZMommy
04-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Great news!! Be sure to post an update after his appointment!!

doberbrat
04-20-2017, 05:21 PM
I hope they hook you up with a waterproof cast. When I broke my finger, I had a full arm cast similar to that except it was the whole cast up to finger tips. ..... for a broken (chip fracture) middle finger. I think I had the darn thing on for 8 weeks too!

khalloc
04-20-2017, 06:38 PM
So the appointment went well. It turns out the Urgent Care people were totally overreacting. They said they see this all the time basically he chipped a tiny piece off the bone near the corner of growth plate on the bottom bone in his finger. They said buddy tape would be good. But because we were traveling and he'd be swimming they sent us across the hall where they made him a custom splint out of moldable plastic and Velcro straps. It only covers the outside of his hand from the wrist to the tips of his fingers and only the baby finger and ring finger. He's allowed to take it on and off whenever he wants. I'm so relieved. Crisis averted! I'll post a picture of it in a bit.

bisous
04-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Oh good! I was stressed for you but this must be a great relief. Thank goodness they got you in! Now you can really have a nice time and not worry. :)

PZMommy
04-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Great!!!! That sounds like the best possible outcome!!! Enjoy your trip!!!!

georgiegirl
04-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Great news! Enjoy your trip. I thought the urgent care people were overreacting. (DD was swimming at swim meets with her broken big toe...similar break...small chip off the growth plate. The ortho said buddy tape was sufficient. Just no soccer.). Kids heal so quickly.

NCGrandma
04-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Good news! And I'm very glad you were able to get in to see someone knowledgeable so you weren't tempted to try DIY solutions that might or might not have been appropriate. Now you can relax and enjoy your trip.

mom2binsd
04-20-2017, 11:33 PM
I work in rehab and showed them the pic of the original, they were dying!!!! So glad you pushed, no way that would have worked!!! Bon voyage!!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
04-20-2017, 11:51 PM
Glad things worked well; hope you have a safe trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khalloc
04-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Here is what he ended up with. It basically just covers the side of his hand and the pinky finger and ring finger. The while sleeve underneath is just to help prevent his hand from getting too sweaty in the plastic. That part is optional and I guess so is the splint.

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/000045416548/media/52872505308/medium/1492727325/enhance

I knew the original splint had to be overkill, but I was worried about allowing him to take it off since the Urgent care doctor said that the break went into his joint. They never showed me the x-rays. If I had seen the tiny chip I wouldnt have been as worried.

hillview
04-21-2017, 09:04 AM
great news!!