PDA

View Full Version : how much is your Verizon Wireless bill? New plan vs. plan with subsidized phone

AnnieW625
04-21-2017, 10:41 AM
I have had Verizon since 2002 and plan on staying with them. I currently pay $140 (including taxes; I get 15% off my line through work) for two iPhones and we split 6 gigs of data, plus have unlimited talk and text, and still have a phone subsidy. I am really hesitant to get rid of my phone subsidy, but the new plan would get me 8 gigs of data for the same price (for a while assuming I don't make the switch until I have my new phone paid for with my subsidy, and DH keeps his iPhone 6), and I don't think the Unlimited plan is that much more, but then if I have to eventually tack on a new phone charge every month to pay for the phone my bill will be even higher so I am tempted to keep my same plan. I have only come close to 85% of my data usage twice and it is always within 3 days of my billing cycle ending so we aren't big data users (as we never had unlimited data) but Unlimited data does seem tempting.

Fwiw I have had my iPhone 5s for over 2 yrs. and it is running fine, but DH says I should get at least a 6s or a 7 because it is now a much better phone and there are things for some reason I can't do on my phone like talk and surf the net or look at a map at the same time , which Dh says he can do with his 6. Oh and the photos are better even on the 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2017, 11:00 AM
I was paying off my iPhone 6 until last month and I had 5 gigs data (that could roll over and no overages) + unlimited text/ talk for $95 after all taxes and such. Now that it's paid off, the bill is $66. Which, come to think of it, is $10 higher than they said it'd be. I need to investigate. I don't have a contract so I can change.

georgiegirl
04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
We just switched to the new plan in March because we added a line for DD. We pay $150 a mo (including taxes) to share 8GB of data, unlimited talk and text. This is for 3 iPhones (DD has an old 4s but she rarely uses data), plus one dumb phone for MIL. DH gets 22% (I think) off the $70 charge for his work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrisM
04-21-2017, 11:15 AM
I have a Moto X that is 3 years old, unlimited text/talk and 2 GB of data. DH has a basic phone. We pay $72/month. That is after a 19% discount from DH's work.

AnnieW625
04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
We just switched to the new plan in March because we added a line for DD. We pay $150 a mo (including taxes) to share 8GB of data, unlimited talk and text. This is for 3 iPhones (DD has an old 4s but she rarely uses data), plus one dumb phone for MIL. DH gets 22% (I think) off the $70 charge for his work.

So you bought your phones before you switched? I would love to get Dd1 a dumb phone....maybe I will tell my dad to give her his old one when and if he finally gets a smart phone (he could really use one for his work) because I hate that Verizon charges an extra fee to have a smart phone and I don't want DD1 having access to data.

georgiegirl
04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Annie, we have iPhone 6 phones that are paid off (since we bought them when they came out...subsidized). We gave DD an old iPhone 4s. We've been with Verizon forever.

AnnieW625
04-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks! If I do buy a phone with the subsidy I am hoping it will last 2+ yrs; I had my 4s for over 3, and DH had his for almost 4. I could give Dd1 my 5s as well.

catsnkid
04-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Have a prepaid smart phone (LG). For 50 dollars a month I get unlimited everything and 5 or 6 G's of data a month. SO also has a prepaid "dumb" phone that we pay 30 dollars a month for.

AnnieW625
04-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Have a prepaid smart phone (LG). For 50 dollars a month I get unlimited everything and 5 or 6 G's of data a month. SO also has a prepaid "dumb" phone that we pay 30 dollars a month for.

On what network? If I were to go this route I would go with Straight Talk because it is on Verizon's network, but I really don't want to pay $600 for an iPhone and I don't want an Android phone.

vonfirmath
04-21-2017, 03:37 PM

This is pretty much what I do. $43/mo on AT&T. I got my iphone 6s (64 gig) used on glyde.com for ~$400.

MommyAllison
04-21-2017, 05:57 PM
DH and I each have an iphone 5s, paid off and out of contract, and it's $24/month each. We are on a business plan with my parents and sister, altogether we share 12ish gigs. We've thought about leaving Verizon and going to straight talk/something prepaid, but it wouldn't save us any money, and Verizon has the best reception in our rural area. We'll probably just buy new/newer iPhones outright and bring them to Verizon so we can keep our super cheap plan!