PDA

View Full Version : Can I see something on HBO if I don't have HBO?

PunkyBoo
04-21-2017, 11:12 AM
HBO is airing the "Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" movie this weekend. We don't have HBO because we don't watch a lot of tv and aren't huge movie people. But I really want to see this adaptation of the book. I guess several providers are offering free HBO this weekend, but of course our provider isn't. Is there any way I can be able to watch the movie? In the "old days", I would just ask someone to record it for me and borrow the video tape, but I don't know anyone who even has a dvd player anymore (except us), let alone a vcr! I'm not tech savvy, have never streamed anything but music, we don't have Netflix... Any suggestions for me?

AnnieW625
04-21-2017, 11:17 AM
We have a vcr (albeit unplugged) and we have a DVD as well, but I am not sure if it has burner capabilities. I also don't know if we have free hbo this weekend; we have Frontier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
04-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Would any of your friends who have HBO loan you their HBO go sign in and password?

There are illegal means, but if you're not tech savvy it's tricky.

PunkyBoo
04-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Would any of your friends who have HBO loan you their HBO go sign in and password?

There are illegal means, but if you're not tech savvy it's tricky.
Yes, I'm a dinosaur[emoji15] ... How does HBO go work?

georgiegirl
04-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Yes, I'm a dinosaur[emoji15] ... How does HBO go work?

You download the app and sign in with your cable/satellite provider. You will need someone's log in information. I think you can also buy a month of HBO standalone. Back when that first came out, apple had a free week (or month) trial. Maybe check into that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
04-21-2017, 11:49 AM
You download the app and sign in with your cable/satellite provider. You will need someone's log in information. I think you can also buy a month of HBO standalone. Back when that first came out, apple had a free week (or month) trial. Maybe check into that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what we do whenever we don't have premium cable. The app is also available on most newer smart tv's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anonomom
04-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Amazon prime video also offers an HBO channel, and they often offer a free preview. That's how I watched Big Little Lies. I would caution you to check whether it'll be available on the channel, though. I'm not sure if movies are released simultaneously there, or if there's a delay.

elbenn
04-21-2017, 12:19 PM
I think you can sign up for a trial of HBO Go for free. You might check into that.

AnnieW625
04-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Amazon prime video also offers an HBO channel, and they often offer a free preview. That's how I watched Big Little Lies. I would caution you to check whether it'll be available on the channel, though. I'm not sure if movies are released simultaneously there, or if there's a delay.

Ohh thanks for letting me know that this is on the Amazon Prime HBO station.....can't wait to watch this! (I need to read the book too!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
04-21-2017, 12:44 PM
The HBO website says it's on regular HBO tomorrow at 5pm, on demand as of Sunday, and HBO Now/ Go same as regular HBO. I think I'm going to try calling my cable company and asking if they'll give me a free trial of HBO to try it out... Otherwise I'll try thru Prime or a free month trial of HBO Now.

Tenasparkl
04-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reminder that this is on this weekend!

mom2binsd
04-21-2017, 04:18 PM
I know that for HBO go, a number of people can use it, I use my boyfriends sisters account on my phone and then cast it to my tv.

MMMommy
04-21-2017, 04:22 PM
We have free preview weekend for HBO and Cinemax channels this weekend. April 21 to 24 for DIRECTV. Do you maybe have a free preview weekend for your provider this weekend?

PunkyBoo
04-21-2017, 04:53 PM
We have free preview weekend for HBO and Cinemax channels this weekend. April 21 to 24 for DIRECTV. Do you maybe have a free preview weekend for your provider this weekend?
That's what I'd been hoping, but nope! I actually have a friend at work who's even more of a dinosaur than I am- she has HBO and a vcr so she's going to reviews it for me old school! [emoji1] But my cable company did say I can activate premium channels and then deactivate them and they'll prorate the cost for the time I actually used it.

MMMommy
04-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Sorry, I must be blind as a bat. How did I miss your very obvious sentence saying that you don't have free trial this weekend. :bag