PDA

View Full Version : Need help with mommy clothing makeover--what do I need?

IansMom
05-01-2017, 08:25 AM
I am tired of looking like a bum. I have an 8 year old and a 17 month old who still nurses. Summer clothes are my favorite, and I usually wear maxi dresses but this will be the second summer that I won't be able to because of nursing.

I would like to purchase some separates. I need tops more than bottoms but I do need both. I have a pair of shorts and a skort from Kohls (I like how their Croft and Barrow brand fits). I am tall (5'9") and I wear about a 14/16. I need tall tees and shirts. Usually, I order tall tees from ON/Gap. I would like to try some tall shirts from Lands End but I don't have a Sears for returns so I would have to travel an hour or return by mail.

What basics should I buy? I am a SAHM. I would just like to look nice going to museums, gardens, etc with the kids and looking decent dropping DS1 of at summer classes.

I don't normally buy for myself but i want to look decent and feel confident. Thanks

abh5e8
05-01-2017, 08:36 AM
I would try Nordstrom. Their free ship free returns are awesome.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2017, 09:08 AM
I love Athleta for summer stuff. So many of the fabrics are light weight and comfy. Their skorts rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermanaid
05-01-2017, 09:13 AM
I would suggest you buy the SAHM or Essentials Capsule guide from classyyettrendy.com.

I bought the Spring Essentials and have been loving how easy it is to put together outfits.

HannaAddict
05-01-2017, 02:45 PM
I second Nordstrom. Their Caslon t's and nicer t's are inexpensive and look good. Pricier but often on sale are Ellen Fisher for casual summer linen and light sweaters. Collared blouses with a light sweater or cardigan can up your pulled together factor. Slim leg pants or boyfriend style work too. Our climate isn't one that has many wearing skorts or super workout wear aside from yoga pants. Unless you are playing tennis or at a beach. At Nordstrom you can also have a salesperson or personal shopper help you and they will work at any budget. You can get ideas and supplement basics from other stores you like but get a few nicer pieces, pants, skirt, sweater, and/or casual dress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California
05-01-2017, 05:20 PM
To spin off on Mermanaid's suggestion, check out the summer SAHM capsules on pinterest. I recently went on a month long trip using just a carry on, and it has me sold on capsule wardrobes! I packed using pinterest guides, and this past weekend looked on there again for summer wardrobe ideas.

citymama
05-02-2017, 03:02 AM
If, like me, you can't get to a store to try things on - like, ever - you could try places with good free ship and returns policies like Nordstrom, Boden and Athleta/Gap. OTOH, if you are just 8 months post partum, your body is likely going to continue to change, in which case I would probably choose inexpensive options that you can upgrade in a year without feeling guilty - places like Target and Old Navy. Target ships free over $25 (or less if you have a card) and ON has f/s over $50 and free returns.

IansMom
05-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Thank you all so much. The capsule wardrobe concept is brilliant! In any brlieve that I never heard of that before. My body is definitely still changing--much more than it did after DS1, but now I am 41 so everything just seems to be changing in general. I already have some of the basics for the navy blue base capsule, so I can keep building from there. I ordered a bunch of stuff from ON/Gap so I will keep what fits and return the rest. I'm going to look at online at Nordstrom today. I'll also check out Target.com. I order clothes for DC from there. I never thought to look for myself.

Thank you all so much! I don't feel so overwhelmed now.

firstbaby
05-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Nordstrom has started carrying Madewell t's and I've heard rave reviews about them. One more thing for you to check out :)

twowhat?
05-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Athleta! I LIVE in Athleta stuff these days. Many of their things look nice enough to pull off for work - I have trousers, ponte pants, and dresses from Athleta that I totally wear for work! Free returns are awesome, and I only ever buy sale items, especially when they run 20% off sale. They carry tall sizes and I have several tops in tall sizes because I like the extra length - I'm not tall but I have a long torso and a belly that needs full coverage so stuff doesn't ride up over it.