PDA

View Full Version : New 2018 Honda Odyssey is out

georgiegirl
05-29-2017, 11:41 PM
And I test drove it today. [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322] It drove well, the cabin was quiet, and the car seemed way more luxurious than my 2009 Ody. I loved the camera where you can see your kids in the second and third rows. My kids loved it and wanted us to purchase it immediately. The dealership was super crowded, and we didn't even have a chance to really talk to the salesman. We weren't planning on buying one today, but I really wanted to check it out.

Side note: Our salesman was a jerk because he walked right past me and asked DH whether he needed any help. So when we are ready to buy it, I will find someone else. I hate sexist car sales people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WatchingThemGrow
05-30-2017, 06:53 AM
Are you thinking of getting the Elite? I've been hoping for an EX-L RES/NAV to replace my 2009 EX-L RES but just realized the important feature we need (Cabin Talk) only works through speakers in the Elite. DH can't hear squat, and it really alienates the kid in the backrow when he's driving. Let me know if you had any experience playing with that system.

I told our dealership I wanted to be the first one to purchase it with the Costco discount. ha. I'm sure they'll call me right away.

JBaxter
05-30-2017, 07:09 AM
I'm curious how much is the Costco discount?
Are you thinking of getting the Elite? I've been hoping for an EX-L RES/NAV to replace my 2009 EX-L RES but just realized the important feature we need (Cabin Talk) only works through speakers in the Elite. DH can't hear squat, and it really alienates the kid in the backrow when he's driving. Let me know if you had any experience playing with that system.

I told our dealership I wanted to be the first one to purchase it with the Costco discount. ha. I'm sure they'll call me right away.

georgiegirl
05-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Interesting about the Elite being the only model that works through the speakers. We test drive the Touring and I was annoyed I couldn't use cabin talk go talk to the kids...only headphones came up as an option, but I assumed I was missing something. I will say that the cabin is quieter.

DH told me to call Costco to ask about the discount.

We also have the 2009 ex-l with RES. We were thinking Touring or Elite.

AnnieW625
05-30-2017, 08:45 AM
For the Costco discount fill out the form online and then you will be contacted by a local dealer to schedule a test drive. Most dealers don't advertise that they are the Costco dealer (at least in my area) so it is a crap shoot as to who you will get. You can look up the Costco invoice price on their website. Good luck!

ETA: IME I bought my VW Passat TDI using the Costco program and I got it for $500 under invoice. When I was looking at the Subaru Outback last fall I was quoted less than $100 under invoice so I knew it wasn't a great deal. I used that price to shop around and paid about $500 under invoice iirc just by dealer shopping. Costco was kind of weird too about assigning dealers as I was interested in the Outback and the Forrester and was given two dealers, one for each model. I was able to get the Costco price from one dealer without test driving as well, but again I am not sure that is the norm or not; but again because the Subaru was in such high demand the dealers especially the lower volume ones weren't able to give the larger discounts. I bought mine from one of the larger dealers in my area and dealt directly with the sales manager.

Both times (and when I bought my Pilot in 06) I looked in specific forums for each model as to what people were paying for the said model and options that were included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elbenn
05-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Just curious, for the people with older Odysseys, are you wanting to get a new vehicle because your car is not running great or you just want an upgrade with the new features? If it's to upgrade, what are the newer features you are most interested in?

georgiegirl
05-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Just curious, for the people with older Odysseys, are you wanting to get a new vehicle because your car is not running great or you just want an upgrade with the new features? If it's to upgrade, what are the newer features you are most interested in?

Mine has over 100,000 miles on it, and I'm ready for a new car. My current back up camera is tiny (like 2" in the rear view mirror), so it will be nice to have a huge back up camera with multiple angles. My current car isn't giving me any problems (other than the sliding doors which are very finicky), but at this point I feel like you never know when it will need a $2000+ repair. I also like the way you can access the third row better than in my current car. And nav and Bluetooth would be nice too. The blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control sound cool too. Plus the vacuum and the wireless phone charger. And the cabin watch and cabin talk...clearly not necessary, but fun. DH drives a BMW X5 that's pretty loaded with features, so I'd like to upgrade to something nicer than my current car.

Speaking of unnecessary upgrades, two years ago we test drove a Mercedes GL550 (I think), and it had back massagers in the seats!!!!!

JBaxter
05-30-2017, 10:42 AM
My Ody is an 08 with 110,000 on it. I treat it like a truck :P it hauls mulch plants kayaks bikes at this point I may keep it forever but realistically probably another year or 2.

Dream
05-30-2017, 11:36 AM
I saw the new Odyssey yesterday, didn't test drive, just went to the dealership and they had just gotten their first vehicle in. It was the EXL model. Both mini vans I've owned were Toyota and I'm in the market for a new minivan because mine got totaled. And I like the new back seat access in the Honda, we used to have this in our 2006 Toyota and in 2011 model they changed and I hated it. I'm not looking for bells and whistles. My only requirements are fabric seats, rear view camera, easy access to second row and power doors so we are thinking of going for the EX model. My kids are 6 & 9 so I don't really need cabin view. My only gripe is there's no entertainment system but I think it'll be fine and maybe its for the best.

The dealership quoted more than MSRP and said its going for higher than MSRP since they're just coming out. So we're going to wait, no way we're paying more than MSRP. I want to pay less.

WatchingThemGrow
05-30-2017, 11:39 AM

120K miles, $2000 repairs every time I turn around, and I just feel better not thinking about getting stranded or having to maintain it at he shop every other month.

The third row access without seatbelt straps to crawl through will be really nice. The safety features are cool too. I'm actually at the dealership now getting a quote on my trade.

No word on the Costco price yet. CostcoAuto.com is where you look but I haven't yet. Just driving and picking my colors first.

scrooks
05-30-2017, 12:57 PM
I will be watching this thread! My '10 is doing ok (knock on wood). I think we are at 82k miles. Dh desperately wants a new one but I would like to wait a year or so. He is worried about the $2k repairs sneaking up on us and he really wants some of the newer safety features... plus he thinks our van is just "old". I currently have an EX-L with Res... will be looking to upgrade to an elite or touring.

LBW
05-30-2017, 02:18 PM
I have an '06 Ody with nearly 200,000 miles on it. It's been chugging along just fine, and like Jeana, I use it and abuse it these days. I've been making a "car payment" into a savings account for a while since I know it'll die one of these days, and I'll need a new van. I'm hoping we can hold out until the 2018s become more available (and dealers will negotiate prices).

I would like a new model Ody for a few reasons:

1) We keep our cars until they die, so I want to purchase the newest model. At this rate, I'll have it until 2027 or so!
2) I'd prefer getting the newest model with the active safety tech features
3) more HP
4) I want a car with Apple CarPlay. :wink2:

KrisM
05-30-2017, 02:39 PM
My 2010 has 110,000 miles on it. I have had no repairs needed. What kinds of repairs for $2000 are people seeing? I had figured Honda's last much longer than this so am surprised at the relatively low mileage and high repairs.

We replaced a 2004 Chevy Malibu a few months ago. It had 180,000 miles on it and ran okay. It had started to leak oil and the a/c wasn't consistently working, so we would have had repairs if we had kept it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
05-30-2017, 03:41 PM
My 2010 has 110,000 miles on it. I have had no repairs needed. What kinds of repairs for $2000 are people seeing? I had figured Honda's last much longer than this so am surprised at the relatively low mileage and high repairs.

We replaced a 2004 Chevy Malibu a few months ago. It had 180,000 miles on it and ran okay. It had started to leak oil and the a/c wasn't consistently working, so we would have had repairs if we had kept it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

We have an 06 Pilot (same transmission/engine as the 2005-2010 Ody; different frame....shared with Ridgeline truck) and we have 185k miles on it and we haven't had too many problems (knock on wood) with it but this generation was known for having some weird transmission issues (read about them here initially in or around 2010). Our issues have been:
*brakes (4 brake jobs, plus one that needed new rotors.....I think this just because it is a heavy car and we commute 300 miles most weeks)
*replaced almost all of the spark plugs and 2 cylinder heads (I think) at 150k miles (2014 or 2015), that was $500
*replaced remaining 4 cylinder heads at 170k miles, that was $900 (spring 2016)

We are hoping for another 3 yrs. out of it (so about 225k miles) as my car will be paid off in 2, but in an ideal world we may keep it as a 3rd car and it could be DD1's first car as it will be 16 yrs. old and super cheap to insure for a first time driver. (I know I probably in the minority here but DDs are getting our hand me downs car wise even if they don't have the most up to date safety features)

Dh would like a good backup camera like my Subaru has in his next car.

specialp
05-30-2017, 03:55 PM

I don't think that is the norm; everyone here drives an Ody forever. My SUV is one of the few different ones in the parking lot at school. I know if I had 120K and having $2k repairs every other month, no way would I consider getting another one.

WatchingThemGrow
05-30-2017, 04:12 PM
What kinds of repairs for $2000 are people seeing? I had figured Honda's last much longer than this so am surprised at the relatively low mileage and high repairs.

Just went through some of the receipts to see what things we've replaced. Maybe it's normal, and just always shocking to me:
-power steering pump (2x), positive battery cables (2x), water pump, right axle, sway bar links, timing belt, and of course, the normal stuff like recharging the AC, 60, 75K, 100K, etc services that include stuff like transmission fluids, etc. It EATS batteries and tires, I feel like.

KrisM
05-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Okay. Some of that is just maintenance, but some definitely isn't. Timing belt is maintenance, but very expensive and annoying because many cars use chains now instead of a belt. But, we haven't recharged the a/c, replaced the power steering pump or water pump. We did have to add a piece of copper to the positive battery cable because it's too big for the battery terminal. Bummer you've had to do so many. I'll keep this list though just to be aware!

RiverRat
05-30-2017, 05:35 PM
I have a 2010 Ody Ex-L with Nav and Res. I have 150,000 miles on it. I'm considering not buying the 2018 Ody but looking at the 2017 Sienna and 2017 Odys for the price break. There aren't really interior gadgets that I need to have. The cabin talk seems like overkill. And the 2nd row won't slide if you have three seats in.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

georgiegirl
05-30-2017, 05:45 PM
I have a 2010 Ody Ex-L with Nav and Res. I have 150,000 miles on it. I'm considering not buying the 2018 Ody but looking at the 2017 Sienna and 2017 Odys for the price break. There aren't really interior gadgets that I need to have. The cabin talk seems like overkill. And the 2nd row won't slide if you have three seats in.

We test drove the Sienna a couple of years ago and didn't like it. First, all of the buttons were in the wrong place. Second, it didn't handle as well.

Dream
05-30-2017, 06:51 PM
I must say I love the Sienna and the way it handles, I feel it's very easy to drive and turns are the piece of cake. The only reason I'm considering the odyssey is for easy access to the 3rd row. My parents live with me and travel with me and it's very hard to walk to the back.

gymnbomb
05-30-2017, 08:28 PM

We just bought a 2017 Sienna. I will say that I thought the Odyssey drove just slightly nicer, but at the trim levels we were looking at you got a ton more features on the Sienna. It came with auto side doors, built in sunscreens, dual climate zones, etc. The Odyssey at the same level/price didn't even have a real center console in the front! If we had been looking at higher end models we likely would have gone for the Odyssey, but are very happy with our new Sienna.

carolinamama
05-30-2017, 09:36 PM
2009 Ody here with 170,000 miles on it. We haven't had many repairs over routine maintenance but it is definitely showing wear. It's been a great car and I'd recommend Odysseys without hesitation. We are in the process of car shopping to replace it due to high mileage, wanting to avoid future costly repairs, and mainly to have one newer car in the family as DH's is also high mileage. Most likely I'm going SUV this time but I may check out the new Odyssey to make sure. We drive our cars into the ground and I quite frankly don't want to drive a minivan for another 8-10 years as good as it's been to us.

trales
05-30-2017, 09:57 PM
I really wish they would make an Odyssey option with AWD. We have tried and cannot have a non AWD vehicle. We can, but there are days when that care won't leave the driveway or be able to get home. The only option we have is the Sierra. I love all the options the Odyssey has, I just wish it would have AWD.

California
05-30-2017, 10:05 PM
The most common problem for older Odysseys is for the transmission to go out. We had that happen with ours and it was an expensive fix. Other than that it's been reliable.

georgiegirl
05-30-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm supposed to receive a call from a Honda dealer 2 hours away that participates in the Costco Auto Program. I can report back once I get a quote.

For those who are concerned about AWD, there's a special "snow" button on the model we test drove. I live in the Midwest, and our Ody has been decent in the snow with winter tires. Not as good as Dh's AWD car, but good enough.

WatchingThemGrow
05-31-2017, 04:24 PM
Oh I see it is added to the Costco auto page today, but it says pricing is not available yet. Of those replacing their old Ody, did you see how much they are worth? [emoji15] Has anyone sold one yet? They offered me $4000 yesterday, so we are getting stuff fixed, getting the interior cleaned, and debating about slapping new tires on it. I'm trying to figure out if the Michelin warranty should cover new ones yet. We plan to sell it ourselves.

georgiegirl
05-31-2017, 04:33 PM
Oh I see it is added to the Costco auto page today, but it says pricing is not available yet. Of those replacing their old Ody, did you see how much they are worth? [emoji15] Has anyone sold one yet? They offered me $4000 yesterday, so we are getting stuff fixed, getting the interior cleaned, and debating about slapping new tires on it. I'm trying to figure out if the Michelin warranty should cover new ones yet. We plan to sell it ourselves.

The dealership that called me said they aren't offering any discounts on it yet, even with the Costco auto program.

khm
05-31-2017, 05:00 PM
How does Cabin Talk work? I've seen people mention the parent needs it to hear, but it seems like it is a microphone FOR the parent to talk into so the back rows can hear the parent through the speakers. But, it doesn't seem the kids' voices are amplified up to the parent in anyway??

WatchingThemGrow
05-31-2017, 08:30 PM
How does Cabin Talk work? I've seen people mention the parent needs it to hear, but it seems like it is a microphone FOR the parent to talk into so the back rows can hear the parent through the speakers. But, it doesn't seem the kids' voices are amplified up to the parent in anyway??

True- I was wrong. I thought the video showed that.

nfceagles
05-31-2017, 10:02 PM

I have this feature on my 2015 Sienna and to be honest I have no idea if it really does anything. I can't tell if it's amplifying my voice or not and the kids don't seem to know either.

Dream
06-11-2017, 08:54 AM
We are the proud owners of a 2018 odyssey lol. Can't say I'm proud of how the things unfolded that led us to buying the odyssey so early. We were going to wait till at least December hoping to get a deal. After my beloved sienna totaled last month DH researched new models coming out and since Toyota didn't have one coming out we decided we'll give the oddysey a try. The easy access to the 3rd row was the feature that swayed me. DH bought a used oddysey to use in our move and the 2 road trips we have coming up so we can hold off till December. He went to a dealer just to talk to them about pricing and trading in the one we have, as it turns out the odometer of the vehicle has been turned back a considerable amount and even with that the dealership offered $7000 which is what we paid for it so we jumped on it to minimize our losses.

We bought the EX model.

WatchingThemGrow
06-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Congrats! What color?

Dream
06-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Congrats! What color?

Thank you. We bought the pacific pewter metallic, interior is Mocha, a very dark brown which I'm not a big fan of and the material is different to the material in the sienna.

gatorsmom
06-13-2017, 11:24 AM

When Dh first heard the new Honda Ody was available he pushed me to get one. I think because of all the fun new features (although he must have forgotten that I need AWD to get up our driveway in the snow). But I don't have any reason to give up my 2011 Sienna. We only bought it because we needed a minivan with AWD. I hated the interior when we first bought it- where the buttons were placed and I can't even see the buttons for the headlights and wipers because of how they are positioned behind the steering wheel. But it has been fantastic for us. No serious repairs or problems in the last 6.5 years. I love the seat arrangements, how I can easily move all the seats to transport boxes to goodwill or bikes for repair, etc. It's very comfortable for me and the kids. It feels roomy. It's easy to climb around in. Other than the the dumb arrangement of the control buttons, I really enjoy driving it.

scrooks
06-20-2017, 02:19 PM
Wondered if anyone else had any reviews of the 2018. I just had to replace the alternator on my somewhat low mileage 2010.... dh is forming a case for a new vehicle!