PDA

View Full Version : Keep or Toss? Meat sauce?

bisous
06-03-2017, 09:13 PM
I made some spaghetti sauce that has chicken italian sausage in it. I made it on Tuesday and it is Saturday! I want to make it last until Sunday, do you think it is safe? Would it be better if I froze it now? From what I read online, the limit for meat would be 3 to 4 days in the fridge and tomorrow would make it five days.

TIA!

sariana
06-03-2017, 09:16 PM
What was the status of the sausage before it went into the sauce? If it was defrosted and used right away, or fresh that day, it's probably okay. I should point out, though, that I routinely eat food a week after its made. (We eat mostly chicken.)

If the sausage had a few days on it already, before going into the sauce, I would hesitate to use the sauce tomorrow.

KpbS
06-03-2017, 09:30 PM
You want it to last until tomorrow? I think it will most likely be fine if it smells fine today. :) Our leftovers often last that length of time. I've found it helps to be in the back (coldest part) of the fridge.

bisous
06-03-2017, 09:50 PM
What was the status of the sausage before it went into the sauce? If it was defrosted and used right away, or fresh that day, it's probably okay. I should point out, though, that I routinely eat food a week after its made. (We eat mostly chicken.)

If the sausage had a few days on it already, before going into the sauce, I would hesitate to use the sauce tomorrow.

The sausage was purchased from the store and I made it one day before the "sell by" date.

Maybe I'll just smell it and if it smells okay, boil it for a bit before eating and then serve?

doberbrat
06-04-2017, 10:18 AM
I'd eat it but I tend to eat things up to a week after I make it. I should say that my fridge is very cold though - milk is often frosty etc

trcy
06-04-2017, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't, but I am usually the lone toss vote here. I have a weak stomach and can't handle food that is even slightly off.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

123LuckyMom
06-04-2017, 10:30 AM
My rule for poultry is up to 3 days in the fridge RAW, but a week cooked. So if the chicken sausage was raw and was cooked before the sell-by date, then was cooked properly and refrigerated promptly, I would eat that food for up to a week (though our leftovers rarely last that long). Often chicken sausage isn't raw when you purchase it, and if that's the case, it would be even more likely to be fine for a week.

BunnyBee
06-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Toss. You could've frozen it Tuesday and defrosted today, but no way would I eat 5 day old ground meat. Food poisoning sucks.