PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman movie- So good!

liz
06-04-2017, 10:37 AM
DH and I went to a late night showing of WW last night. Awesome movie!! Great movie for kids too, it's rated PG-13. Only possible objectionable scene for parents (besides scenes of war/fighting) when Chris Pine leaves a bath with nothing on :wink2: Loved the timely themes in the movie. Overall, it left you feeling positive-not as grim as some of the other super hero movies. Wonder Woman is such a badass, but compassionate and caring too. What a great character. Totally recommend you take your daughters (and sons too)!

ellies mom
06-04-2017, 12:53 PM
It was amazing!! I'm a huge geek and I really needed it to be good but it far exceeded my expectations. I went with a few of my other mom friends and we were giddy as we left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustMe
06-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Great to know! Finally a movie that it looks like will appeal to all 3 of us in my family!

AnnieW625
06-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Thanks Liz & others. Dh and I are taking DDs and one of DD1's friend who are 11 this afternoon. DD2 is 7 and will cover her eyes at anything remotely adult. Not sure about the 11 yr. olds, but I am fine seeing a little Chris Pine[emoji6]

ETA: so DD1 and her friend liked it, DH liked it and I liked the 3/4s of it I saw. DD2 who isn't scared of much didn't like it and thought it was long and scary so I went out with her for the last 30 minutes. She loved the part where Diana was on the island as a child and when she saved Steve and that battle, but I really think most everything else went over her head. She wanted it to be more like the Wonder Woman tv show. I think it is definitely a 9-10+ plus or if you have an overly sensitive tween then it is definitely 12-13+. I am usually pretty liberal when it comes to movies and don't visit common sense media on a regular basis, but wanted to share my thoughts, and I read CSM (after seeing the movie) and the age rec. was 10-12+with two teen reviewers saying 6+ or 7+.

niccig
06-04-2017, 03:47 PM
We went last night as a family and we all enjoyed it

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

anonomom
06-04-2017, 04:13 PM
I saw it last night and agree that it's vastly better than most superhero movies. I loved Diana's absolute fearlessness. I wasn't fond of the final battle, but I think I'm maybe just the wrong audience (since I'm usually not crazy about massive fight scenes).

Pear
06-04-2017, 04:35 PM
As far as massive cgi fight scene finales go, I did find it to be one of the better ones.

I loved this movie. I'm a geek to the core and seeing Wonder Woman up on the big screen was amazing. She was a badass with a strong morality, basically she was the epitome of a super hero.

ellies mom
06-04-2017, 09:28 PM
As far as massive cgi fight scene finales go, I did find it to be one of the better ones.

I loved this movie. I'm a geek to the core and seeing Wonder Woman up on the big screen was amazing. She was a badass with a strong morality, basically she was the epitome of a super hero.

I may have cried a few tears of relief at the end because it was so good. I may have cried a few tears when she climbed up out of the trench as well because she just radiated WW in that moment and it was an amazing feeling. And I may have cried a few tears during other scenes as well. This was the super hero move we (women) needed and deserve.

StantonHyde
06-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Our whole family loved it!! and my favorite screen shot (besides her climbing out of the trench and running at the Germans) was when she turned around at the end of the final fight scene, Like "yes, this is my bad ass self". It was awesome. And Gal Gadot was perfect as woman who in so many ways is so innocent and sheltered and yet--not. It was just great.

Tenasparkl
06-05-2017, 01:50 PM
I may have cried a few tears of relief at the end because it was so good. I may have cried a few tears when she climbed up out of the trench as well because she just radiated WW in that moment and it was an amazing feeling. And I may have cried a few tears during other scenes as well. This was the super hero move we (women) needed and deserve.

I was in tears throughout too. Amazing and empowering!

smiles33
06-05-2017, 03:41 PM
We took our girls for DD2's 8th birthday and we all loved it! It was both a celebration of a compassionate and powerful heroine, but also an anthem for girlpower! I *loved* the early scenes with the Amazons training and the battle scene on the beach. Not to give anything away, but I am so inspired by Robin Wright--I kept thinking, "That looks like Robin Wright, but she is kicking ass!!! Could that really be her?!?!" I haven't watched House of Cards at all, so I still think of her as Buttercup from the Princess Bride or the love interest in Forrest Gump!

As for how appropriate it is for kids, my 8 and 11 year old girls loved the movie, too. Yet both my girls have seen all the Iron Man/Captain America/Batman/Superman superhero movies, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Guardians of the Galaxy, so they're used to massive battle scenes and some profanity. I was thrilled for them to FINALLY see a kick-ass heroine on the big screen!

Tenasparkl
06-05-2017, 05:32 PM
As for how appropriate it is for kids, my 8 and 11 year old girls loved the movie, too. Yet both my girls have seen all the Iron Man/Captain America/Batman/Superman superhero movies, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Guardians of the Galaxy, so they're used to massive battle scenes and some profanity. I was thrilled for them to FINALLY see a kick-ass heroine on the big screen!

I didn't take my almost 9 year old, but I'm excited to see it again with her.

SASM
06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
OMG!!! I am sooooo NOT a "superhero" person but I sooooo LOVED this movie!! It was definitely NOT Linda Carter's WW...but it was modern and empowering and AMAZING!! I was bummed that my girls didn't want to go and see it yesterday. I went with DS and DH, both comic/superhero-loving guys. DH was saying that in the comic books she wasn't a god, etc BUT even he was impressed. I kept looking over at DS and his eyes were saucers throughout the entire movie. ;) It was just AWESOME!! I hope that my girls change their mind because I would have no problem seeing again.

dogmom
06-05-2017, 08:41 PM

The director said she had to fight for the trench scene because people didn't "get it." There was a perfectly good fight scene in town right afterwards, why did she need the no mans land scene.

Because why do we need a scene of a woman being told no, you can't do that...and she goes, OK, I hear you, but I'm going to do that. And does that, with all the men looking on. Why we we need that scene?

ellies mom
06-05-2017, 08:56 PM
The director said she had to fight for the trench scene because people didn't "get it." There was a perfectly good fight scene in town right afterwards, why did she need the no mans land scene.

Because why do we need a scene of a woman being told no, you can't do that...and she goes, OK, I hear you, but I'm going to do that. And does that, with all the men looking on. Why we we need that scene?

Why doesn't that surprise me? Like a friend of mine said, "Representation matters". I guess if you are used to being represented, you don't understand how powerful it is.

liz
06-06-2017, 06:43 AM

wow, I didn't know that. It makes me want to watch that scene over again! Definitely a powerful message. Looking forward to owning this movie when it comes out on DVD. I'm excited to show the kids :)

cilantromapuche
06-06-2017, 08:32 AM
I was in tears throughout too. Amazing and empowering!

There have been some very interesting interviews with Jill Lepore, the author of WOnder Women: A Secret History.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/03/531397415/wonder-woman-shows-girls-that-men-arent-the-only-superheros-who-rescue-people

and also an interview on Here and Now about the connection between Wonder Woman and Margaret Sanger.

Staraglimmer
06-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Can I take my 5 year old, or would she be terrified?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ellies mom
06-06-2017, 05:45 PM

It would depend on the 5 year old. The violence isn't graphic or terrifying but it is designed to show WW development as she sees the results of battle and what man does to each other. So it could be too much for a sensitive child.

bisous
06-06-2017, 06:04 PM

Oh that's so interesting. I also LOVED this scene but it had nothing to do with her saying "no" to a man. It had to do with the fact that to me she was fighting for a woman with a baby. She understood the human cost of the war and she was going to fight on behalf of the women and children and the people and that just felt near to my heart. That was the most powerful part of the movie for me, actually. It made the battle scenes MATTER when most of the time I just mentally fast forward them. The female hero brought something unique and powerful to the war and she was capable of making a huge difference.

I feel like I often miss that stories of strong women are a rarity for the simple fact that I was raised by several generations of very strong women that it just feels normal to say no to men, lol. But I get that that could be important to a lot of women.

I didn't LOVE the last scene with the battle, because it started feeling just too big and drawn out, but I LOVED the rest of the movie. It really was fantastic. Everyone should see it. :)

smiles33
06-06-2017, 06:48 PM

I know my girls would have been too frightened at 5 but they were sensitive to violence. The battle scenes involve lots of swordplay, punching, and guns (but nothing bloody or gory, like Game of Thrones). Yet the final battle is even more intense (lightning/super powers, etc.). There are also a couple scenes involving poison gas that could scare a young child, too. If your 5 year old has seen other superhero movies, then most of this is par for the course. DH started showing Star Wars movies to my kids around age 6 and then moved on to the Marvel movies.

I don't think the language is an issue (I don't remember any profanity) and the only potentially awkward sexual content is a naked Chris Pine (covering his groin with his hands) emerging from a hot spring.

AnnieW625
06-06-2017, 06:51 PM

Not much scares my 7 yr. old, but I think the flow of the movie was a little too slow for DD2 and I might feel the same for a 5 yr. old. I actually think other than a babe in arms (and that babe was quiet in the movie) DD2 was the youngest person in the theater.

I kind of wish I would've shown her an Indiana Jones movie because the flow and style kind of reminded me of that type of action movie and I think she may have been more prepared for that kind of movie. (exits the forum and finds a rock to hide under for comparing an empowering female movie to a male oriented action movie.....produced by an amazing woman producer though)

ellies mom
06-07-2017, 03:02 AM
This article does an excellent job of explaining why this movie has the effect it does on do many of us.

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-women-are-crying-during-wonder-woman-fight-scenes-62261

I'm a comic book geek. I had a lot riding on this movie simply because there are so many more stories I want to see told. And this movie needed to succeed to have any chance of that. But I brought two of my decidedly not geek friends with me and they had the same response. So clearly, it met a deep down need. Representation matters.

boss1
06-09-2017, 08:27 PM
DH and I went to a late night showing of WW last night. Awesome movie!! Great movie for kids too, it's rated PG-13. Only possible objectionable scene for parents (besides scenes of war/fighting) when Chris Pine leaves a bath with nothing on :wink2: Loved the timely themes in the movie. Overall, it left you feeling positive-not as grim as some of the other super hero movies. Wonder Woman is such a badass, but compassionate and caring too. What a great character. Totally recommend you take your daughters (and sons too)!

I agree, I am so glad that I brought my 11 year old daughter to see the movie. She enjoyed the movie and was in awe of wonder woman. Amazing movie...I am recommending this movie to everyone.