PDA

View Full Version : Would you go?

twotimesblue
06-05-2017, 12:49 AM
DH, myself and our 3 young DC are supposed to be traveling to London in a few days' time. Staying in a central London hotel. Due to host a family member's milestone birthday celebration in a different central London location. I'm so sad and confused. Would you go?

ellies mom
06-05-2017, 01:02 AM
I would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalasmama
06-05-2017, 01:38 AM
I would go. While I understand it's a risk, do you want to live your life in a bomb shelter? We risk our life, statistically, more getting into our car for a road trip than walking down the street in London. We risk our life more going in for routine surgery than going to party in England.

That being said, as the hosting party, I would completely understand a family member not coming to Great Granny's 95th birthday due to multiple recent terrorist attacks in the immediate area.

magnoliaparadise
06-05-2017, 03:01 AM
I would go, too.

JBaxter
06-05-2017, 07:12 AM
Since the trip is planned and booked I'd probably go but be super cautious I would not have planned the trip DH & I have talked about going England they are HUGE soccer fans. We wont be traveling until things are a little calmer. The 3 attacks so close together has me very concerned

hillview
06-05-2017, 07:40 AM
I'd go for sure

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2017, 08:27 AM
I'd go and I wouldn't hesitate.

AnnieW625
06-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Yes I would go.

mikala
06-05-2017, 09:39 AM
I would go too.

Philly Mom
06-05-2017, 09:48 AM
I would go/am heading to England this summer without second thought. I also get in the car everyday and go to major US cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

marinkitty
06-05-2017, 10:09 AM
I'd still go since it is already planned. I agree with PPs who say I maybe would not currently plan a trip there when there are so many other places to go, but I'm already taking DD (14) to London in July for four days. We have tickets to a couple of shows and are staying in a central hotel as well. We are definitely still going. Hopefully this will be the last attack, but if the recent years have shown anything - it can happen anywhere - Orlando, Hamburg, Nice, Manchester - those wouldn't have been on anyone's radar. Just be cautious and remember that the odds of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time are so, so low.

cilantromapuche
06-05-2017, 10:31 AM
I would go. I always feel that security is much tighter after events like this, so it is more safe. My brother lives in London and we go often and I feel safe. I would (same as anywhere, including home town) be very vigilant and aware, especially on public transit.

LBW
06-05-2017, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to go. Sadly, the UK has a long history of dealing with terrorist attacks, and I'd feel safer going there than many US cities. I was in London in the 90s for school during a time when the city was still dealing with IRA bombings. I never felt unsafe, but did try to stay aware of my surroundings, etc, as you'd do in any city.

trales
06-05-2017, 12:45 PM
I would go. But I also lived outside NYC in 2011 and still went into the city often. I live outside Boston right now and go into the city weekly. I won't live my life scared.

khm
06-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Something could happen in your town while you are visiting London.

I think that we really have no way to predict. It's awful to consider, but "something" could happen anywhere. It could be straight up terrorism, it could be a lone disgruntled person with a weapon in a mall/restaurant/business.

baymom
06-05-2017, 01:25 PM
I can totally understand your anxiety, but I wouldn't hesitate to go. The chance of something happening to you while you are there is very, very low.

StantonHyde
06-05-2017, 05:42 PM
We are leaving on Saturday for 2 weeks. No way I'm missing this vacation!

BunnyBee
06-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Yes! I will go and pretend to be you if you don't want to go. ;)

mom_hanna
06-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Yes,go!!

gcc2k
06-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Please go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

doberbrat
06-05-2017, 08:57 PM
I'd have to think long and hard about it but yes, I'd probably go since its booked. Reality is, its probably safer to go now while security is so tight then in a few months when people have gotten complacent again.

But I'd certainly be nervous about it as well.

lizzywednesday
06-05-2017, 09:29 PM
I went to NYC within 2 weeks of the September 11th attacks for my own sanity.

I visited London 20-odd years ago, during a tense time with the IRA.

I would absolutely go.

DualvansMommy
06-06-2017, 08:40 AM
I went to NYC within 2 weeks of the September 11th attacks for my own sanity.

I visited London 20-odd years ago, during a tense time with the IRA.

I would absolutely go.

Yes. I'd still go too, having grown up with the British conflict in my "backyard" and lived downtown of Boston and NYC in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and early years afterwards with threat hanging over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nfceagles
06-06-2017, 12:38 PM
I would still go and I did.

We made plans a couple months ago to attend a special soccer game in Manchester on June 4. As you know, 13 days prior was the Manchester Arena bombing. We decided to still go. My mom and others were worried about us going, but you're at risk of tragic accidents anywhere and every day even if you don't go. I figured the next attack would be somewhere else anyway. We spent this last weekend in London Spent Saturday seeing the sights in central London. Ate lunch .2 miles from the London Bridge and when our Underground stop on the north side of the bridge was closed we almost walked across London Bridge to the stop on the south side of the bridge, but took a taxi instead in case that stop was also closed. That night after kids and DH fell asleep, I read the news of the London Bridge attack on Facebook and started getting texts asking if we were ok. Texted my mom and SIL to tell them we were fine and laid in bed sad listening to sirens all night wondering if the soccer game would be cancelled. On Sunday we took the train to Manchester. Game time had been moved up from 4 to 2:30 so they could get the crowds from the game cleared before the One Love concert started in the stadium next door to us. No bags allowed due to heightened security so we went to Manchester with two kids and what we could fit in our pockets which included my DS's two epi-pens.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat. It was a fabulous trip minus the sleepless night. Don't let those monsters rob your family of these opportunities.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170606/8c78dec6ce4501960ffd0a5732d2ad14.jpg

mackmama
06-06-2017, 01:07 PM
I'd have to think long and hard about it but yes, I'd probably go since its booked. Reality is, its probably safer to go now while security is so tight then in a few months when people have gotten complacent again.

But I'd certainly be nervous about it as well.

:yeahthat:

flashy09
06-08-2017, 08:08 AM
I am in the same boat. We leave in about 10 days. Ironically we never spend time in London, but this time have a few nights there and some dress fittings, etc. Personally I would rather not be there to be honest, but it's a must go (sister getting married, my DH walking her down the aisle, kids are bridesmaids) situation so I am doing it. If it was for a vacation and we hadn't booked, I would go somewhere else - I understand things happen anywhere, I would just feel safer and enjoy my vacation more and not have thoughts about avoiding big tourist destinations or be watching traffic and people like a hawk. In your situation I would (myself personally, not telling you what to do, lol) probably make it a time to explore the country side of England and be a little off the beaten path. There are so many pretty little villages in the Cotswolds and Yorkshire countryside is gorgeous with some really fun things to do with kids.