PDA

View Full Version : Hobby suggestions

Meatball Mommie
06-07-2017, 09:47 AM
My older DS (now almost 14) has loads of interests/hobbies and always finds something to work on in his free time. Now that DS1 a little older and interested in his own things, my younger DS (12) is feeling a little left out. He doesn't have those same hobbies/interests and although they still play video games together, they don't "play" together like they used to. DS2 is bored and is looking for things to do. While he still really likes Lego, his brother has outgrown his interest in them so he's left to play with them alone (which he does still do), but other than that he either watches videos, plays video games or kicks his soccer ball around by himself. We don't live in a neighborhood so no options for friends unless there's an invite (more likely to happen during summer vacation).

With the end of the school year coming in 2 weeks, after school activities and sports practices have ended and he has no homework anymore. I am trying to come up with some hobbies or activities for him to try. I am thinking of ordering him a couple of easy-ish model airplane/car kits from Amazon. He's not into science/tinkering or arts/crafts like DS1 so that eliminates a lot of the kits and hobbies I have found. Any other suggestions?

sariana
06-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Guitar.
Cooking.

trcy
06-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Would he want to plant a garden? I have a small vegetable garden that DD likes to help me with. Since he is older he could do it on his own. We also have a butterfly garden and DD likes to raise the caterpillars.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

elbenn
06-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Chess. Are there some kids chess sites where you can play against people online?
Gardening.
Reading--books, magazines, comic books, or manga.

Meatball Mommie
06-07-2017, 10:47 AM
I already have a small veggie garden but our weather in the Northeast has been pretty uncooperative this spring so far!

He does play chess and enjoys it - not sure if he'd want to play online.

He isn't a big reader - I suggested that and bought books within his interest area (WWII, animals, fiction and nonfiction) and they sit untouched. We have to force him to read :(

My husband was thinking of guitar and trying to learn to play together (him and DS2)

I was thinking of getting a bunny but my husband would be against having it inside and the humane society won't allow rabbits to be adopted to live outdoors in our area.

He likes the following: chess, animals, Clash of Clans (game), WWII and military stuff in general, history, construction (our business in particular)

keep the suggestions coming!

sariana
06-07-2017, 11:00 AM
More advanced Lego sets.
3-D puzzles, such as those world monuments
A home designer software program

ETA: Is funding an issue? What about building houses and play structures for animals? To donate or sell?

trcy
06-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Since he likes animals, would he want to volunteer at an animal shelter? Not sure what the minimum age is though. I volunteered at our humane society before I was old enough to drive, but I don't remember how old I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Meatball Mommie
06-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Our local animal shelter is very close to home. I should check with them on the minimum age to volunteer...

Or try to get involved with an organization that does wild animal rehab...hmmm food for thought - thanks!

lizzywednesday
06-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Does your animal shelter or local library offer opportunities to read to animals?

I know this probably sounds a little out of the ordinary, but you mentioned he's into animals but is a reluctant reader. I wonder if combining reading time with an opportunity to be with animals would help encourage him to read more?

ang79
06-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Our local animal shelter is very close to home. I should check with them on the minimum age to volunteer...

Or try to get involved with an organization that does wild animal rehab...hmmm food for thought - thanks!

There is a cat shelter program in my area that will allow kids as young as second grade to play and cuddle with the adoptee cats in local pet stores. I had looked into doing it with my GS Brownie troop. They said that for kids that young they just asked that an adult go with them. So if the regular shelter has a higher age requirement, check around for other programs.

rlu
06-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Does your animal shelter or local library offer opportunities to read to animals?

I know this probably sounds a little out of the ordinary, but you mentioned he's into animals but is a reluctant reader. I wonder if combining reading time with an opportunity to be with animals would help encourage him to read more?

One of our library systems does Read to Rover once a month. We still go whenever we can. DS doesn't actually read to them anymore, he just sits on the floor with the dogs and talks to the people about puppy raising since the group is associated with Canine Companions.

Meatball Mommie
06-09-2017, 11:06 AM
I am going to look into our library programs this summer. I know they have done that in the past, but I'm not sure if it's a regular thing.

I am also going to look into a program that looks for families to foster dogs/puppies for a weekend. It's affiliated with our local prison where the inmates are training the dogs to be service dogs and are looking to socialize the dogs in the program. So you foster for a weekend only.