PDA

View Full Version : Recommend everyday inexpensive dishes

melrose7
06-09-2017, 11:18 AM
We need new dinner dishes. We have Sanyo dishes from our wedding 13 yrs ago but we only have 3 dinner plates left. And one of those has a crack and won't last much longer. I don't want to get more of the same dishes, but I don't want an expensive set. Anyone love their dishes?

pinkelephant
06-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Started with fancy dishes when I got married and quickly switched to Fiestaware. I love it. It's easy to care for, durable, and often goes on sale. Macy's and Kohls especially fun great sales. And no matter what color you choose they interchange well.

ellies mom
06-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Another vote for fiestaware. You can buy it a few place settings at a time and you can go with all one color or mix and match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey0709
06-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Love mine - but they are classic plain white Corelle. I know people on here either love or hate Corelle. Luckily i haven't had one piece break in 15 years - so i hope i'm not jinxing myself. I especially love the Corelle divided plates we use for the kids - - all purchased at a Corningware, Corelle outlet.

melrose7
06-09-2017, 11:59 AM
I have been looking at fiesta ware as I know it's pretty popular. What's a good price for it at Kohls? It's so hard to tell with their sales there. Do the plates heat up in the microwave?

AnnieW625
06-09-2017, 12:12 PM
I have Heath Ceramics (line in Aqua/brown (http://www.heathceramics.com/coupe-basic-mam)) that I love, but we also have a few Corelle bowls and plates from the Memphis line (http://www.corelle.com/livingware-memphis-10.25in-plate/1065642.html) I bought when DD1 was 3 (she picked it out) that get a lot of use so I were to buy anything else I would get more Corelle, and I really like this Happy Days floral pattern (http://www.corelle.com/square-happy-days-9in-plate/1085841.html#prefn1=img_shape&prefv1=square&start=6).

We had one Corelle bowl break in the sink and I don't recall how it happened, but it was loud, but still easy to clean up. I would still buy more Corelle. Our Heath plates that have broke have cracked right down the middle, but Heath is not cheap.

jgenie
06-09-2017, 01:33 PM
We switched to Fiesta with the holiday sales at Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I love them! I was happy with $22 per place setting. If you play the deals you can them for lower. I've been using them as my filler if I order from Macy's and need to get to free shipping. Shipping is usually $11 ish so I get a $25 place setting and I feel like I got it for $14!

bisous
06-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Love mine - but they are classic plain white Corelle. I know people on here either love or hate Corelle. Luckily i haven't had one piece break in 15 years - so i hope i'm not jinxing myself. I especially love the Corelle divided plates we use for the kids - - all purchased at a Corningware, Corelle outlet.

I prefer Corelle too. I have broken pieces but I break glassware too. It just isn't that big of a deal to me and not terribly difficult to clean up. I feel like I've broken less Corelle because it is fairly sturdy and it is light and easy for the kids to use.

I love the look of Fiestaware but can't handle how thick it is. I don't like the way it fits in the dishwasher or stacks in my cabinets or even carrying it. I just prefer how thin and light the Corelle plates are.

scrooks
06-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Add me to the list of fiestaware lovers! My mil got me a full set for Christmas and I absolutely love them!!! I have 12 place settings in 6 different colors. My mil was skeptical of my color choices but I love them and I love that my dishes are so happy and colorful!

JBaxter
06-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Another fiestaware family. I generally watch Kohl's or Macy's sales with additional off coupon. I love color and have lots s of different colors. So if something gets broke any color replacement works

chottumommy
06-09-2017, 03:04 PM
I prefer Corelle too. I have broken pieces but I break glassware too. It just isn't that big of a deal to me and not terribly difficult to clean up. I feel like I've broken less Corelle because it is fairly sturdy and it is light and easy for the kids to use.

I love the look of Fiestaware but can't handle how thick it is. I don't like the way it fits in the dishwasher or stacks in my cabinets or even carrying it. I just prefer how thin and light the Corelle plates are.

I have had a few Corelle pieces break and most are easy enough to clean but the one that absolutely drove me bonkers was the one that broke in my aunt's dishwasher, absolute nightmare to clean and I swore on never buying Corelle again but I did after the kids were born.

WatchingThemGrow
06-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Our corelle stash is awesome. We have more than a dozen large plates and small plates and they take up so little space! The outlets run great sales. We got 3 piece sets (no cups) in a box when they were BOGO. Then we filled in different giant bowls, platters, etc when they were buy 20 get 50% off.

ourbabygirl
06-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Yep, I have a set from Macy's that chipped not long after our wedding, then we switched to white Mikasa dishes (also from Macy's), which we still use a bit, but a few years ago I started getting Fiesta ware and love it! I have a ton of different colors, and love mixing & matching them. They make me happy. :)

lalasmama
06-09-2017, 03:48 PM
I love my Corelle as well :) We're on our second set (having given our first set to DD2 when she moved out).

I love the look of Fiesta, but hubby freaked out at the price, then found a similar look at Walmart. However, it appears Walmart may have d/c'ed it, so I may still get my Feista!

jgenie
06-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Yep, I have a set from Macy's that chipped not long after our wedding, then we switched to white Mikasa dishes (also from Macy's), which we still use a bit, but a few years ago I started getting Fiesta ware and love it! I have a ton of different colors, and love mixing & matching them. They make me happy. :)

I smile every time I open my dishwasher and my cabinets.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

RedSuedeShoes
06-09-2017, 05:33 PM
I used to have Corelle but got rid of it because of the breakage issue. They don't break often, but when they do it can be a nightmare. Tiny glass shards everywhere. (I also got rid of those fun little French glasses everyone loves for a similar reason - except those actually explode unexpectedly, which is much scarier.) I love the look of Fiestaware but don't want big dishes. We have the porcelain ones from IKEA. The IKEA bowls are a bit big for us, so we tend to use them mostly for small serving bowls. I found two stacks of some English stoneware bowls at Goodwill that fit perfectly in the dishwasher; we use those for cereal, soup, ice cream, etc.

I can't find the exact set on the IKEA site; maybe this (http://http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10315349/) is the newer version. These bowls don't look the same as the ones we have.

mackmama
06-10-2017, 01:46 AM
Love Heath ceramics!

squimp
06-10-2017, 02:37 AM
I have white porcelain from Pier One. Inexpensive and durable. Before that I had a gorgeous Denby stoneware set. I like food on white plates.

Smillow
06-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Another Corelle lover here:) Among its many benefits, I love that it deosnt take up a lot of space ?otherwise, I might be a Fiestaware girl). We don't have a dishwasher and it doesn't take up a lot of room in the dish drainer!

Simon
06-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Stoneware has been my favorite.
We had some Corelle but when a large plate shattered in the kitchen (dropped from a low height, onto a linoleum floor,) it was a nightmare to clean up. Thousands of tiny shards and diamond shaped, razor sharp pieces. I gave away the rest and haven't bought it again, although these threads always make me reconsider.
Love the look of Fiestaware but our small cabinets cannot handle the large, chunky pieces.
We have an Ikea white everyday set and it is in horrible condition! Nothing has broken, but the plates have those dark gray scuff marks all over. Yuck.

lizzywednesday
06-10-2017, 12:23 PM
We had a mix of Corelle and some bicentennial pattern china (no idea the brand) when I was growing up.

Currently, I have a mix of some random stoneware and Fiesta. I got the Fiestaware place settings as gifts, but have added other pieces since in both matching and complementary colors to suit the way our family uses dishes. We have the super-large "Gusto" bowls for eating chili, sou

I am on the lookout for cereal bowls, though. The Fiesta ones that came with our place settings are wide and shallow; I want something narrower so that DH will stop using plastic storage containers to eat cereal out of.

I especially like Fiesta because I have a glass-fronted cabinet that we use for dish/glass storage and it looks pretty.

melrose7
06-10-2017, 12:30 PM
I'm so torn on the Fiestaware and the Corelle now. I love the colors of the Fiestaware but not sure how they will fit in my cabinets. I also am not sure of the handle of the coffee cup. I don't drink coffee but DH does and it looks so small. I like the size of the Corelle but the breakage issue worries me. DD1 is learning life skills and one of those is emptying the dishwasher. She doesn't understand the difference between the plastic and the regular dishes and being careful. We don't have an IKEA so I can't go look around there.

reneed
06-10-2017, 12:47 PM
I love Corelle and in 10 years I've only had one piece break!

JBaxter
06-10-2017, 01:15 PM
I have tile floors and when a corelle bowl or plate shatters its like millions of shards of glass I have had fiestaware for almost 10 yrs this is my favorite coffee mug in Fiestaware I'm a coffee addict and drink any cups a day https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1095554/fiesta-latte-mug.jsp?skuId=fiestaware+latte+mug&search=fiestaware+latte+mug&submit-search=web-regular I got ride of the ones that came with the set they are not near big enough for me.
I'm so torn on the Fiestaware and the Corelle now. I love the colors of the Fiestaware but not sure how they will fit in my cabinets. I also am not sure of the handle of the coffee cup. I don't drink coffee but DH does and it looks so small. I like the size of the Corelle but the breakage issue worries me. DD1 is learning life skills and one of those is emptying the dishwasher. She doesn't understand the difference between the plastic and the regular dishes and being careful. We don't have an IKEA so I can't go look around there.

anonomom
06-11-2017, 09:51 AM
I had Corelle my entire childhood and finally bought my own set about 5 years ago. I don't recall any of them ever breaking, except one plate that exploded when my father let it sit on a hot burner for a while (don't do that). I love how lightweight and thin they are, and I can fit a ton in my dishwasher. This sounds silly, but I also really like the shape of their cereal bowls.

I should say that for many years, I coveted fiestaware. I never got to a point (then) that I could afford it and now that I can, I don't like how heavy they are. But they are so fun to look at!

I'd go with whichever fits into your dishwasher and cabinets the best.

NCGrandma
06-11-2017, 10:25 AM
I had Corelle my entire childhood and finally bought my own set about 5 years ago. I don't recall any of them ever breaking, except one plate that exploded when my father let it sit on a hot burner for a while (don't do that). I love how lightweight and thin they are, and I can fit a ton in my dishwasher. This sounds silly, but I also really like the shape of their cereal bowls.

I should say that for many years, I coveted fiestaware. I never got to a point (then) that I could afford it and now that I can, I don't like how heavy they are. But they are so fun to look at!

I'd go with whichever fits into your dishwasher and cabinets the best.

For many years, I had (very heavy) stoneware dishes -- very attractive and sturdy but they took up a lot of space in cabinets and were hard to stack efficiently in the dishwasher. I always thought Corelle was wimpy. When I moved 10 years ago to my current apartment with a smaller kitchen, I reluctantly decided to hand down my stoneware and buy some Corelle (plain white, square plates and bowls). To my surprise, I have really liked it. Very light, easy to store in cabinets and stack in dishwasher. So far no breakage, but a few pieces have small chips at the edge.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)